By FRANCO PANIZO
During a European season in which there have not been too many bright spots from the Americans Abroad contingent, Rubio Rubin continues to impress.
Rubin made further strides in his development by putting together a two-assist performance for FC Utrecht on Saturday. Serving as a central midfielder and not a forward, the 18-year-old Rubin set up two goals within two minutes of one another early into the second half to give his side a 2-0 lead vs. Go Ahead Eagles. Utrecht could not hold onto the lead, however, as they surrendered three unanswered goals to fall, 3-2.
Fabian Johnson was another player to grab an assist, and he did so in his return to Borussia Moenchengladbach’s lineup. After missing a couple of games because of a minor injury, Johnson made his way back into the the club’s lineup and set up the opener in a 1-1 draw with Mainz. He lasted until the 70th minute of the match, and was used as a left midfielder.
Herculez Gomez also made an impact for his club, though it did not show on the scoresheet. Gomez looked to have scored a goal for Tigres UANL over Veracruz on Sunday, but the ball went in off a defender Leiton Jimenez and was ruled an own goal. Regardless, it still stood as the winner in the 1-0 victory and Gomez’s contribution helped the club stay within striking distance of Liga MX leaders Club America.
While there were positive performances, there were also plenty of negative developments. Jozy Altidore did not come off the bench for Sunderland in a 3-1 victory over a Geoff Cameron-less Stoke City, and Brek Shea and Julian Green failed to dress for Birmingham City and Hamburg, respectively.
Here is how the Americans Abroad performed this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made two saves in Everton’s 2-1 loss vs. Manchester United on Sunday.
- Jozy Altidore dressed but did not play in Sunderland’s 3-1 win vs. Stoke City on Saturday.
- Brad Guzan started, played 90 minutes and made five saves in Aston Villa’s 2-0 loss vs. Manchester City on Saturday.
- Brad Friedel did not dress in Tottenham Hotspur’s 1-0 win vs. Southampton on Sunday.
- Geoff Cameron did not dress in Stoke City’s 3-1 loss vs. Sunderland on Saturday.
- Cody Cropper did not dress in Southampton’s 1-0 loss vs. Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday.
- Will Packwood dressed but did not play in Birmingham City’s 1-1 draw vs. Charlton Athletic on Saturday.
- Brek Shea did not dress for Birmingham City.
- Jonathan Spector did not dress for Birmingham City. He is recovering from a thigh injury.
- Tim Ream started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Bolton Wanderers’ 2-1 loss vs. AFC Bournemouth on Saturday.
- Eric Lichaj started and played 81 minutes in Nottingham Forest’s 2-2 draw vs. Ipswich Town on Sunday.
- Danny Williams did not dress in Reading’s 3-1 loss vs. Brentford on Saturday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Emerson Hyndman dressed but did not play in Fulham’s 2-0 loss vs. Middlesbrough on Saturday.
- Zak Whitbread started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Derby County’s 0-0 draw vs. Millwall on Saturday.
- Fabian Johnson started, played 70 minutes and had an ASSIST in Borussia Moenchengladbach’s 1-1 draw vs. Mainz 05 on Sunday. You can see the assist here.
- John Brooks did not dress in Hertha Berlin’s 3-2 win vs. VfB Stuttgart on Friday.
- Timmy Chandler came off the bench and played one minute in Eintracht Franfkurt’s 3-2 win vs. FC Cologne on Saturday.
- David Yelldell did not dress in Bayer Leverkusen’s 2-2 draw vs. SC Paderborn 07 on Saturday.
- Julian Green did not dress in Hamburg SV’s 1-0 win vs. Borussia Dortmund on Saturday.
- Joe Gyau dressed but did not play in Borussia Dortmund’s 1-0 loss vs. Hamburg SV on Saturday.
- Alfredo Morales started and played 90 minutes in FC Ingolstadt 04’s 1-0 win vs. TSV Eintracht Braunschweig on Sunday.
- Terrence Boyd and RB Leipzig play Heidenheimer SB on Monday.
- Bobby Wood dressed but did not play in TSV 1860 Munich’s 2-0 loss vs. VfR Aalen on Friday.
- Andrew Wooten started and played 90 minutes in SV Sandhausen’s 3-0 loss vs. FSV Frankfurt on Sunday.
- Alejandro Bedoya started and played 90 minutes in FC Nantes’ 1-0 win vs. Guingamp on Sunday.
- Aron Johannsson did not dress in AZ Alkmaar’s 2-2 draw vs. FC Twente on Sunday. He is recovering from a groin injury.
- Rubio Rubin started, played 90 minutes and had TWO ASSISTS in FC Utrecht’s 3-2 loss vs. Go Ahead Eagles on Saturday.
- Sacha Kljestan dressed but did not play in RSC Anderlecht’s 0-0 draw vs. Racing Genk on Sunday.
- Conor O’Brien started and played 90 minutes in FC Magna Wiener Neustadt’s 4-1 loss vs. Red Bull Salzburg on Sunday.
- Mix Diskerud started and played 90 minutes in Rosenborg BK’s 2-0 win vs. Lillestrom on Friday.
- Andrew Jacobson started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Stabaek IF’s 1-1 draw vs. FK Bodo Glimt on Sunday.
- Michael Stephens started and played 90 minutes for Stabaek IF.
- Ethan Horvath did not dress in Molde FK’s 2-1 win vs. Viking on Saturday.
- Josh Gatt did not dress for Molde FK. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Zarek Valentin did not dress in FK Bodo/Glimt’s 1-1 draw vs. Stabaek IF on Sunday. He is recovering from an Achilles injury.
- Jeb Brovsky did not dress in Stromsgodset’s 0-0 draw vs. Sarpsborg 08 on Sunday.
- Freddy Adu dressed but did not play in FK Jagodina’s 2-0 win vs. Borac Cacak on Saturday.
- Michael Orozco started and played 90 minutes in Puebla’s 1-1 draw vs. Toluca on Sunday.
- Edgar Castillo and Atlas play Chivas de Guadalajara on Sunday evening.
- Jose Torres started and played 90 minutes in Tigres UANL’s 1-0 win vs. Veracruz on Saturday.
- Herculez Gomez started and played 79 minutes for Tigres UANL.
- Ventura Alvarado did not dress in Club America’s 4-0 loss vs. Cruz Azul on Saturday.
- Jonathan Bornstein did not dress in Queretaro’s 2-1 loss vs. Club Leon on Friday.
- Greg Garza started and played 90 minutes in Club Tijuana’s 1-1 draw vs. Monterrey on Saturday.
- Joe Corona started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card for Club Tijuana.
- Paul Arriola dressed but did not play for Club Tijuana.
- Alejandro Guido dressed but did not play Club Tijuana.
- Amando Moreno did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Fernando Arce Jr did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- John Requejo did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Joaquin Alonso Hernandez did not dress in Monterrey’s 1-1 draw vs. Club Tijuana on Saturday.
- Gabriel Farfan did not dress in Jaguares de Chiapas’ 2-0 loss vs. Pachuca on Saturday.
What do you think of these performances? How impressed have you been by Rubin this season? Surprised to not see Altidore, Shea and Green receive minutes for their clubs?
Share your thoughts below.