By FRANCO PANIZO
Halloween weekend turned out to be quite kind to a pair of U.S. Men’s National Team players.
Alejandro Bedoya and Danny Williams returned from injury, with both midfielders making substitute cameos for their clubs. Bedoya recovered from a thigh problem to see time in his first match for FC Nantes in nearly a month, playing the final 25 minutes of a 1-1 draw with Stade Rennes on Sunday. Williams, meanwhile, contributed 14 minutes off the bench in Reading’s 3-1 loss to Blackburn Rovers a day earlier, his first appearance for the Royals since a knee injury forced him out of action in April.
Aron Johannsson had already made his way back from ankle and groin injuries earlier in the week by playing in a KNVB match, but played in his first league match of the season on Sunday. Johannsson resumed his starting role for AZ Alkmaar in their clash with Excelsior, and he was deemed healthy enough to play from whistle to whistle in the 3-3 draw.
One of the more positive Americans Abroad performances came courtesy of a fellow Eredivisie player. 18-year-old Rubio Rubin had a game-changing performance for FC Utrecht, starting, going the distance, delivering a decisive assist, and drawing a penalty kick for an insurance goal in a 3-1 triumph over Vitesse Arnhem on Sunday. The win was the second in the last five matches for Utrecht, and moved them into 10th place in the table.
Here is how the Americans Abroad performed this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made one save in Everton’s 0-0 draw vs. Swansea City on Saturday.
- Jozy Altidore and Sunderland play Crystal Palace on Monday.
- Brad Guzan started, played 90 minutes and made five saves in Aston Villa’s 2-1 loss vs. Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday.
- Brad Friedel did not dress in Tottenham Hotspur’s 2-1 win vs. Aston Villa on Sunday.
- Geoff Cameron started and played 90 minutes in Stoke City’s 2-2 draw vs. Newcastle United on Saturday.
- Cody Cropper did not dress in Southampton’s 1-0 win vs. Hull City on Saturday.
- Brek Shea came off the bench and played 26 minutes in Birmingham City’s 0-0 draw vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday.
- Will Packwood did not dress for Birmingham City.
- Jonathan Spector did not dress for Birmingham City. He is recovering from a thigh injury.
- Tim Ream started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Bolton Wanderers’ 2-1 loss vs. Norwich City on Friday.
- Eric Lichaj started, played 60 minutes and received a yellow card in Nottingham Forest’s 3-0 loss vs. Huddersfield Town on Saturday.
- Danny Williams came off the bench and played 14 minutes in Reading’s 3-1 loss vs. Blackburn Rovers on Saturday.
- Emerson Hyndman dressed but did not play in Fulham’s 3-3 draw vs. Wigan Athletic on Saturday.
- Zak Whitbread did not dress in Derby County’s 2-1 loss vs. Brentford on Saturday.
- Oguchi Onyewu dressed but did not play in Charlton Athletic’s 1-1 draw vs. Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday.
- Fabian Johnson dressed but did not play in Borussia Moenchengladbach’s 3-1 win vs. TSG 1899 Hoffenheim on Sunday.
- John Brooks dressed but did not play in Hertha Berlin’s 3-1 loss vs. SC Paderborn 07 on Sunday.
- Timmy Chandler started and played 90 minutes in Eintracht Frankfurt’s 1-0 loss vs. Hannover 96 on Saturday.
- David Yelldell did not dress in Bayer Leverkusen’s 1-0 loss vs. Hamburg SV on Saturday.
- Julian Green did not dress in Hamburg SV’s 1-0 win vs. Bayer Leverkusen on Saturday.
- Joe Gyau did not dress in Borussia Dortmund’s 2-1 loss vs. Bayern Munich on Saturday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Alfredo Morales started, played 45 minutes and received a yellow card in FC Ingolstadt 04’s 0-0 draw vs. Fortuna Dusseldorf on Friday.
- Terrence Boyd and RB Leipzig play Kaiserslautern on Monday.
- Bobby Wood did not dress in TSV 1860 Munich’s 3-0 win vs. VfL Bochum on Sunday.
- Andrew Wooten started and played 90 minutes in SV Sandhausen’s 1-1 draw vs. Karlsruhe on Friday.
- Jann George dressed but did not play in SpVgg Greuther Furth’s 1-0 win vs. FC Union Berlin on Friday.
- Alejandro Bedoya came off the bench and played 25 minutes in FC Nantes’ 1-1 draw vs. Stade Rennes on Sunday.
- Aron Johannsson started and played 90 minutes in AZ Alkmaar’s 3-3 draw vs. Excelsior on Sunday.
- Rubio Rubin started, played 90 minutes, drew a penalty kick and had an ASSIST in FC Utrecht’s 3-1 win vs. Vitesse Arnhem on Sunday.
- Sacha Kljestan dressed but did not play in RSC Anderlecht’s 1-1 draw vs. KSC Lokeren on Saturday.
- Conor O’Brien and FC Magna Wiener Neustadt did not play this weekend.
- Mix Diskerud started and played 87 minutes in Rosenborg BK’s 1-0 win vs. Odd on Sunday.
- Michael Stephens started and played 90 minutes in Stabaek IF’s 1-0 loss vs. Haugesund on Sunday.
- Andrew Jacobson started and played 90 minutes for Stabaek IF.
- Ethan Horvath dressed but did not play in Molde FK’s 2-0 loss vs. Stromsgodset on Sunday.
- Josh Gatt did not dress for Molde FK. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Zarek Valentin dressed but did not play in FK Bodo/Glimt’s 4-0 loss vs. Lillestrom on Sunday.
- Jeb Brovsky did not dress in Stromsgodset’s 2-0 win vs. Molde FK on Sunday.
- Freddy Adu did not dress in FK Jagodina’s 3-2 win vs. Donji Srem on Sunday.
- Michael Orozco started and played 90 minutes in Puebla’s 1-1 draw vs. Pachuca on Saturday.
- Edgar Castillo started and played 90 minutes in Atlas’ 4-0 loss vs. Club Leon on Saturday.
- Jose Torres started and played 90 minutes before being substituted in Tigres UANL’s 1-0 win vs. Queretaro on Saturday.
- Herculez Gomez started and played 45 minutes for Tigres UANL.
- Ventura Alvarado dressed but did not play in Club America’s 0-0 draw vs. Chivas de Guadalajara on Saturday.
- Jonathan Bornstein did not dress in Queretaro’s 3-2 win vs. Club America on Friday. He is recovering from a foot injury.
- Greg Garza started and played 90 minutes in Club Tijuana’s 1-0 loss vs. Toluca on Friday.
- Paul Arriola came off the bench and played eight minutes for Club Tijuana.
- Joe Corona did not dress for Club Tijuana. He is recovering from a foot injury.
- Amando Moreno did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Alejandro Guido did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Fernando Arce Jr did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- John Requejo did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Joaquin Alonso Hernandez did not dress in Monterrey’s 2-1 loss vs. Morelia on Friday.
- Gabriel Farfan did not dress in Jaguares de Chiapas’ 0-0 draw vs. Cruz Azul on Saturday.
What do you think of these performances? Who do you think will return to their respective club’s starting lineup sooner, Bedoya or Williams? How impressed are you with Rubin’s latest outing?
Share your thoughts below.