By RYAN TOLMICH
Kaka is set to join Orlando City ahead of the 2015 MLS season, but he won’t be the only Brazilian legend set to alter Florida’s soccer landscape in the nar future.
The Fort Lauderdale Strikers announced Thursday that former Brazilian star Ronaldo has become a minority owner of the team. Ronaldo, who previously featured for Real Madrid, Barcelona, Inter Milan and AC Milan during his playing days, joins an ownership group that consists of Brazilian investors Paulo Cesso, Ricardo Geromel, and Rafael Bertani.
“I could not be happier to be part of both the Strikers, a team with an extraordinary legacy, and the NASL, with its rich history and tremendous growth potential,” Ronaldo said. “I am confident that my experience, vision, and work will be instrumental in helping to elevate the Strikers, the NASL, and soccer in the U.S. to the highest level. South Florida, where there are so many soccer fans, is the ideal place for my Strikers.”
The 38-year-old went on to state his belief in NASL, which Ronaldo believes will become a major player in the growth of U.S. soccer.
“I will be very involved with the management of the team and have already started to make introductions that will certainly help us to turn the Strikers into a global powerhouse,” Ronaldo said. “There are no doubts that the beautiful game is growing exponentially in the U.S., and I guarantee you that the NASL will play a key role in the rise of professional soccer here.”
Ronaldo’s announcement comes just two days after his former Real Madrid teammate, Raul, was officially confirmed as a member of the NASL’s New York Cosmos.
What do you think of Ronaldo’s investment in the Strikers? How will his presence help both the team and league grow in upcoming seasons?
Share your thoughts below.