By FRANCO PANIZO
Eric Lichaj may not be getting many U.S. Men’s National Team looks these days, but he continues to be one of the more consistent Americans playing abroad.
Lichaj made his 19th start of the season on Saturday, helping Nottingham Forest edge Derby County, 2-1, to snap an eight-game winless run across all competitions that dated back to Nov. 22. Lichaj went the distance in the match, manning the left back spot for the second straight Championship game for the Reds. It was his 24 appearance of the campaign.
Another regular contributor, Alejandro Bedoya turned in an 86-minute shift on Saturday in a 1-0 loss to AS Monaco. Bedoya was deployed centrally behind striker Yacine Bammou, but they and the rest of the club could not get off the schneid for the third straight match in all competitions. Nantes fell to to eighth place with the result, and is now eight points shy of Ligue 1’s lone Europa League spot.
One player who did get on the scoresheet this weekend was Herculez Gomez, who marked his Puebla return with a headed goal. Gomez entered Puebla’s Friday encounter with Veracruz at halftime, and netted on a close-range effort that gave him his first tally for the Camoteros in nearly five years. Gomez, fellow American Michael Orozco and Puebla were on the losing end, however, as they were beaten, 3-1.
Here is how the Americans Abroad did this weekend:
- Tim Howard and Everton play West Bromwich Albion on Monday.
- Brad Guzan started, played 90 minutes and made three saves in Aston Villa’s 2-0 loss vs. Liverpool on Saturday.
- DeAndre Yedlin did not dress in Tottenham Hotspur’s 2-1 win vs. Sunderland on Saturday.
- Brad Friedel did not dress for Tottenham Hotspur.
- Geoff Cameron came off the bench and played four minutes in Stoke City’s 1-0 win vs. Leicester City on Saturday.
- Gedio Zelalem did not dress in Arsenal’s 2-0 win vs. Manchester City on Sunday.
- Jonathan Spector did not dress in Birmingham City’s 1-1 draw vs. Leeds United on Saturday.
- Will Packwood did not dress for Birmingham City. He is recovering from an injury.
- Tim Ream started and played 90 minutes in Bolton Wanderers’ 2-1 win vs. Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday.
- Eric Lichaj started and played 90 minutes in Nottingham Forest’s 2-1 win vs. Derby County on Saturday.
- Danny Williams started and played 90 minutes in Reading’s 2-1 loss vs. Fulham on Saturday.
- Emerson Hyndman did not dress in Fulham’s 2-1 win vs. Reading on Saturday. He is with the U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team.
- Zak Whitbread did not dress in Derby County’s 2-1 loss vs. Nottingham Forest on Saturday. He is recovering from an injury.
- Oguchi Onyewu dressed but did not play in Charlton Athletic’s 5-0 loss vs. Watford on Saturday.
- Alejandro Bedoya started and played 86 minutes in FC Nantes’ 1-0 loss vs. AS Monaco on Saturday.
- Aron Johannsson came off the bench and played 14 minutes in AZ Alkmaar’s 2-0 win vs. Dordrecht ’90 on Saturday.
- Rubio Rubin started and played 90 minutes in FC Utrecht’s 2-1 loss vs. SC Heerenveen on Sunday.
- Sacha Kljestan came off the bench and played seven minutes in RSC Anderlecht’s 3-0 win vs. Lierse on Sunday.
- Michael Orozco started and played 90 minutes in Puebla’s 3-1 loss vs. Veracruz on Friday.
- Herculez Gomez came off the bench, played 45 minutes and scored a GOAL for Puebla.
- Greg Garza started and played 90 minutes in Club Tijuana’s 1-0 win vs. Club America on Friday.
- Joe Corona dressed but did not play for Club Tijuana.
- Paul Arriola did not dress for Club Tijuana. He is with the U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team.
- Jose Torres did not dress in Tigres UANL’s 1-0 win vs. Club Leon on Saturday.
- Edgar Castillo started and played 90 minutes in Atlas’ 2-1 win vs. Morelia on Saturday.
- Ventura Alvarado dressed but did not play in Club America’s 1-0 loss vs. Club Tijuana on Friday.
What do you think of these performances? Should Lichaj be earning more looks from Jurgen Klinsmann? Do you think Bedoya and Nantes will ultimately obtain that coveted Europa League spot?
Share your thoughts below.