By FRANCO PANIZO
After failing to pick up a victory in three straight games, Tim Ream and Bolton Wanderers got themselves back in the win column in one of the few positive results involving the Americans Abroad this week.
Ream and Bolton put an end to their halt on Tuesday, handing Fulham a 3-1 loss at Macron Stadium. Ream was deployed in his now customary left back role for the Trotters, and went the distance in the match. The triumph gave Bolton its 10th win of the season, and moved the club to 13th place in the Championship.
Another positive development came in England’s top division, as Tim Howard made his Everton return in a narrow defeat to league leaders Chelsea. Howard turned in a stellar performance, making six saves – some of the impressive variety – to keep the Toffees in the game before conceding an 89th-minute winner to Willian. Everton has now failed to score in three of its last four games.
While there was some good news, it mostly a rough two days for the Americans. Most of the players that saw the field were ousted, including Geoff Cameron and Alejandro Bedoya. Cameron – who delivered a clutch equalizing assist over the weekend – and Stoke City suffered a 4-1 loss to second-place Manchester City. Bedoya and Nantes were blanked, 2-0, and eliminated in the Round of 16 in the Coupe de France by Paris Saint-Germain.
Here is how the Americans Abroad did during the midweek action:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made six saves in Everton’s 1-0 loss vs. Chelsea on Wednesday.
- Geoff Cameron started and played 90 minutes in Stoke City’s 4-1 loss vs. Manchester City on Wednesday.
- Brad Guzan started, played 90 minutes and made two saves in Aston Villa’s 2-0 loss vs. Hull City on Tuesday.
- DeAndre Yedlin did not dress in Tottenham Hotspur’s 3-2 loss vs. Liverpool on Tuesday.
- Brad Friedel did not dress for Tottenham Hotspur.
- Gedion Zelalem did not dress in Arsenal’s 2-1 win vs. Leicester City on Tuesday.
- Tim Ream started and played 90 minutes in Bolton Wanderers’ 3-1 win vs. Fulham on Tuesday.
- Jonathan Spector started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Birmingham City’s 1-0 loss vs. Millwall on Tuesday.
- Will Packwood did not dress for Birmingham City.
- Eric Lichaj started and played 90 minutes in Nottingham Forest’s 3-0 win vs. Wigan Athletic on Wednesday.
- Emerson Hyndman did not dress in Fulham’s 3-1 loss vs. Bolton Wanderers on Tuesday. He is recovering from a collarbone injury.
- Danny Williams started and played 90 minutes in a 2-0 loss vs. Leeds United on Tuesday.
- Zak Whitbread did not dress in Derby County’s 2-2 draw vs. AFC Bournemouth on Tuesday.
- Oguchi Onyewu dressed but did not play in Charlton Athletic’s 3-2 loss vs. Norwich City on Tuesday.
- Alejandro Bedoya started and played 85 minutes in FC Nantes’ 2-0 loss vs. Paris Saint-Germain in the Coupe de France on Wednesday.
Do you think Ream could play left back at the international level? Surprised by how lopsided Cameron and Stoke’s defeat to Manchester City was? How would you rate Bedoya’s performance vs. PSG?
Share your thoughts below.