By FRANCO PANIZO
Timmy Chandler used Valentine’s Day to gain more affection from Eintracht Frankfurt fans, and crush the hearts of those who root for Schalke.
Chandler helped the Eagles pick up a 1-0 victory at home over Schalke on Saturday, setting up the game-winning goal in the 61st minute. Chandler was fortunate on his assist because it took a kind deflection before finding teammate Lucas Piazon, but it helped all the same in giving Eintracht Frankfurt its first win in four games.
The veteran right back was not the only American to have a notable performance in Germany this weekend. Forwards Bobby Wood and Andrew Wooten both scored two goals in wins for their respective 2. Bundesliga clubs, with Wood ending a near-two-year scoreless drought and Wooten adding to his respectable season total. Wood helped Erzgebirge Aue narrowly push past Fortuna Dusseldorf, 3-2, with his brace on Friday, and Wooten paced Sandhausen to a 3-1 upset over league leaders Ingolstadt with his sixth and seventh goals of the campaign.
While the weekend may have been enjoyable for the aforementioned three, it was more than forgettable for Geoff Cameron. Stoke City was eliminated from the FA Cup after suffering a 4-1 defeat to Blackburn Rovers on Saturday, and it was Cameron who was involved in the game’s decisive play. Level at 1-1 and with halftime looming, Cameron was given a straight red card for denial of a clear goal-scoring opportunity in the sixth minute of first-half stoppage time. The ensuing penalty kick was converted to give Blackburn the lead, and Stoke couldn’t overcome the man disadvantage after the break.
Here is how the Americans Abroad did this weekend:
- Tim Howard and Everton did not play this weekend.
- Brad Guzan dressed but did not play in Aston Villa’s 2-1 win vs. Leicester City in the FA Cup on Sunday.
- Brad Friedel and Tottenham Hotspur did not play this weekend.
- DeAndre Yedlin and Tottenham Hotspur did not play this weekend.
- Geoff Cameron started, played 45 minutes and received a RED CARD in Stoke City’s 4-1 loss vs. Blackburn Rovers in the FA Cup on Saturday.
- Gedion Zelalem did not dress in Arsenal’s 2-0 win vs. Middlesbrough in the FA Cup on Sunday.
- Jonathan Spector started and played 90 minutes in Birmingham City’s 1-1 draw vs. Fulham on Saturday.
- Will Packwood did not dress for Birmingham City. He is recovering from an injury.
- Tim Ream started and played 90 minutes in Bolton Wanderers’ 4-3 loss vs. Watford on Saturday.
- Eric Lichaj started and played 90 minutes in Nottingham Forest’s 4-4 draw vs. Blackpool on Saturday.
- Danny Williams started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Reading’s 2-1 win vs. Derby County in the FA Cup on Saturday.
- Emerson Hyndman did not dress in Fulham’s 2-1 loss vs. Ipswich Town on Saturday. He is recovering from an injury.
- Zak Whitbread did not dress in Derby County’s 2-1 loss vs. Reading in the FA Cup on Saturday. He is recovering from an injury.
- Oguchi Onyewu did not dress in Charlton Athletic’s 3-0 win vs. Brentford on Saturday.
- John Brooks started and played 90 minutes in Hertha Berlin’s 2-0 loss vs. SC Freiburg on Sunday.
- Fabian Johnson dressed but did not play in Borussia Moenchengladbach’s 1-0 win vs. FC Cologne on Saturday.
- Timmy Chandler started, played 90 minutes and had an ASSIST in Eintracht Frankfurt’s 1-0 win vs. Schalke 04 on Saturday.
- Julian Green did not dress in Hamburg SV’s 8-0 loss vs. Bayern Munich on Saturday.
- Joe Gyau did not dress in Borussia Dortmund’s 4-2 win vs. Mainz on Friday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Terrence Boyd did not dress in RB Leipzig’s 1-0 loss vs. FSV Frankfurt on Sunday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Alfredo Morales started, played 81 minutes and received a yellow card in FC Ingolstadt 04’s 3-1 loss vs. SV Sandhausen on Saturday.
- Bobby Wood started, played 77 minutes and scored TWO GOALS in FC Erzgebirge Aue’s 3-2 win vs. Fortuna Dusseldorf on Friday.
- Andrew Wooten started, played 87 minutes and scored TWO GOALS in SV Sandhausen’s 3-1 win vs. FC Ingolstadt 04 on Saturday.
- Jann George and SpVgg Greuther Furth play St Pauli on Monday.
- Alejandro Bedoya started and played 90 minutes in FC Nantes’ 2-0 loss vs. Bastia on Saturday.
- Aron Johannsson did not dress in AZ Alkmaar’s 4-2 loss vs. PSV Eindhoven on Friday. He is recovering from an ankle injury.
- Rubio Rubin came off the bench and played seven minutes in FC Utrecht’s 6-1 win vs. Dordrecht ’90 on Sunday.
- Michael Orozco started and played 90 minutes in Puebla’s 2-0 win vs. Monterrey on Saturday.
- Herculez Gomez started and played 70 minutes for Puebla.
- Greg Garza started and played 90 minutes in Club Tijuana’s 3-0 win vs. Pumas UNAM on Friday.
- Joe Corona came off the bench, played 30 minutes and received a yellow card for Club Tijuana.
- Alejandro Guido dressed but did not play for Club Tijuana.
- Paul Arriola did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Jose Torres did not dress in Tigres UANL’s 1-0 win vs. Morelia on Saturday. He is recovering from an injury.
- Edgar Castillo started, played 81 minutes and received a yellow card in Atlas’ 3-1 loss vs. Pachuca on Saturday.
- Ventura Alvarado started and played 90 minutes in Club America’s 5-0 win vs. Jaguares de Chiapas on Saturday.
What do you think of these performances? How impressed are you with how Chandler is performing this season? Whose brace was more impressive, Wood’s or Wooten’s?
Share your thoughts below.