Report: Jurgen Klinsmann not interested in Villa job

Klinsmann-USATODAY

By CAITLIN MURRAY

When Aston Villa coach Paul Lambert was fired earlier this week, the rumor mill immediately began speculating Jurgen Klinsmann could be a possible replacement. But the U.S. Men’s National Team coach is happy where he is already, according to a new ESPNFC report.

Klinsmann’s name had been making the rounds along with former Tottenham coach Tim Sherwood as candidates to head the beleaguered English Premier League club, but Klinsmann isn’t interested.

According to unnamed sources, Klinsmann, who previously lived in England while playing for Spurs, is settled with his life in the U.S. and is looking forward to building for the 2018 World Cup.

The ESPNFC report also suggests that Klinsmann may be wary of taking over a side that has been struggling so late in the season, especially if an ownership change is a possibility for the club. Villa owner Randy Lerner put the club up for sale last year.

Villa has been having a rough go of it as of late. Over the weekend, they Villa lost 2-0 to Hull City, moving Hull out of the relegation zone and dropping Villa to the bottom three of the Premier League table.

By Wednesday, the club announced it has “parted company” with Lambert, adding that they would “announce a new manager in due course.” The club said first-team coach Scott Marshall and goalkeeping coach Andy Marshall would continue to manage the team in the interim.

Klinsmann, a former coach for Bayern Munich, joined the USMNT as coach in 2011.

Comments

1. Takes The Bait, that’s good. I lived in the Bronx and I use to walk over the bridge to watch the games at Columbia Univ. I’m talking about the Country of Columbia in S. America. Yes, I know the Columbia he is afflicted with.

2. There are lots of quality coaches who don’t even make a third of what JK makes. I’m hoping JK makes the move. Columbia seems to be the hotbed for coaches and players. Sunil you may need to visit Columbia to find coaches for you Men’s and Women’s Team.

• Columbia gave you Desmond Armstrong. Ask Lalas who he is.

But I doubt they have anyone else who might begin to be qualified as a national team manager. Columbia did give us Edward Norton, whose grandfather Rouse, designed that town.

3. I think that’s the 2nd time (Spurs wanted him I faintly recall) Jurgen’s name was thrown around for a EPL job, so nothing new here.

4. I wouldn’t have been upset if Jurgen left to take that job. I’m having a sense that Jurgen is an extremely good orator, and perhaps at times a good motivator. As far as tactics and putting players in positions to succeed, I think he falls short.

5. I don’t see why any midlevel – major national team manager would be interested in these mid level jobs in Europe. Sure, you take over one of the biggest clubs where its almost impossible to lose because of the resources and the prestige of the position. But anything outside those top what 16 clubs you’ve got an average tenure of about a year. The clubs are simultaneously a hindrance in their unrealistic demands and yet they won’t pay the $ to win. The fans are blind to their actual position.

Stick with a national team. Unless you truly mess up qualification you get 4 years, don’t have to worry about $, have decent autonomy and a bit more moderate goals.

• Agreed 100%

But when I say that about the players, everyone rips on me. I get that they will fire the coach first. Meet expectations of the whole world, will get you fired everytime.

But was it really much better for the US players on those teams ? Couple of times yes. Most of the time it was just good money for playing soccer in a pathetic situation no one would want to be in, waiting to move on, which you know is coming.

• Those two situations are false parallels. However, I remember people arguing with you about USMNT players playing on good teams or the best teams they can play in instead of coming back to the MLS if it was Top 6 or so. That is not a loosing team in EPL e.g. people were pushing for Jozy to go to Lille (upper to mid-table French team that gets to play in Europa league). Playing for a loosing teams creates a horrible work environment.

• Ted in MN,

I doubt that job security for national team managers is any better than for club managers.

Aston Villa, is a desirable job for many managers because it is in the EPL. Do well and it can be a stepping stone to bigger and better things

AND

The AVERAGE EPL manager’s salary is 4.6 million dollars. Even if you only last for the rest of the season it is probably worth it.

That is probably superior to most national team jobs.

Here is a list, stolen from FORBES, of what national team managers made in the 2014 World Cup:

1. Fabio Capello, Russia — $11,235,210
      113 times more than the average person in Spain
      8. Louis van Gaal, Netherlands — $2,738,060
      57 times more than the average person in the Netherlands
      9. Alberto Zaccheroni, Japan — $2,727,480
      56 times more than the average person in Japan
      10. Jurgen Klinsmann, United States — $2,621,740
      48 times more than the average person in the U.S.
      11. Didier Deschamps, France — $2,161,000
      30. Niko Kovac, Croatia — $271,740
      19 times more than the average person in Croatia
      31. James Kwesi Appiah, Ghana — $251,770
      150 times more than the average person in Ghana
      32. Miguel Herrera, Mexico — $209,810
      21 times more than the average person in Mexico

By the way notice that Capello’s salary blows everyone out of the water but he did not even get Russia out of their Group of Death and he is still on the job, though he is currently suing for back pay.

• That’s right I jumped the gun on that. Even though he hasn’t been paid in a while I don’t think Capello is about to be homeless.

Apparently Alisher Usmanov one of those Russian billionaires is paying off the 5.8 million outstanding. You may remember Usmanov from when he was reportedly interested in taking over Arsenal.

6. It must be really depressing to be a Villa fan. I mean… what do you look forward to every year? A cup run? At best? Even that pittance never seems to happen for them…

I can think of no better case study for why MLS has a better model than English soccer. No matter who your team is in MLS, you always have some reason to believe that your side could win the MLS Cup within 3-5 years.

Aston Villa fans just hope to avoid relegation. And one day, they won’t. Maybe this year. Who knows, might even be more fun for their fans to watch the team play in the Championship… they might actually win it. But probably not.

• It wouldn’t be fun watching Fulham in any league. Never have I seen a team with such a lack of attacking prowess. So boring to watch them just pass around the back just to lose the ball on a terrible move forward.

• Did you just imply that the MLS system is better than the Premier League? You know what the MLS system promotes? Mediocrity. There is an actual penalty for sucking and that is demotion. In MLS, there is no such penalty. Instead, you keep collecting TV money, sponsorship money and getting leagued sponsored help via the salary cap.

• Last I checked, relegated teams in England continue collecting parachute payments for two years after they “sucked” and got “demoted”

More to the point – which you seem to have missed entirely – I just don’t see how the EPL could be much fun unless you are a fan of one of the 4-6 teams that stands any chance of winning the title from now until eternity. What is it that even gets a fan of Villa or Burnley or West Brom out of bed for this, outside of blind, masochistic loyalty?

It is far more reasonable to me to believe that the US will win the World Cup in the next 20 years than any of these teams will win the EPL. Actually, it’s not even close. Thanks to Financial “Fair Play”, these teams can’t even hope for a random oil billionaire to sugardaddy them into the ranks of “teams that might win the title ever”. All entrances have been sealed.

What is fun or exciting about that? Seems like a pretty farcical “competition” to me.

• GV,

I assume you are an American.

I suspect that unlike Americans, supporting your team for the English is about a whole lot more than having a realistic shot at winning titles.

Between the Premier League and the Football League, England has 92 clubs. That is a lot of clubs for a population of about 53.5 million people. Very few of them have any realistic shot at ever winning anything. Yet many of these same teams appear to have a rabid fan base.

Aston Villa’s last real trophies were the European Cup and the Super Cup both in 1982. And Fulham’s last real trophy was when they won the Championship and promotion to the Premier league in 2000-2001 season. But there are a lot of clubs in England who have never won anything and probably never will.

Still, I don’t think it is fair of you to put down those fans because they don’t have the same perspective that you do.

• Oh I am not putting them down. Not at all. I actually admire them for the very reasons you have alluded to. Americans definitely do not have the patience for this. Even Cubs fans, who seem to be fueled by futility, appear to always harbor some belief that “this could be their year”

Just seems like a bummer, you know? If your team is the biggest club in the second-biggest city in England, it seems like you would not be unreasonable in expecting the occasional title challenge. Winning really is more enjoyable, even if it only happens on rare occassion. But the system will never accomodate it. Not anymore.

It seems the entire English game is predicated on the assumption that fans of no-hope teams will continue showing up and subsidizing the increasingly farcical “competition” out of blind loyalty to their “firm”.

Maybe it will happen. But what if it doesn’t? What if the newer generations of fans decide that there are too many other options for entertainment these days, and they’d rather not simply sit around the same dusty pub and recount stories of some decent winger from three decades ago? If the culture normalizes at all to what the rest of the world does (Brazilians, for example, are far worse than us when it comes to only supporting teams when they are winning), what happens to this dynamic?

• The soccer club culture in Eur. is probably more comparable to US college football…teams like Duke, Vanderbilt Rutgers are never gonna win the national title but still get good fan support, and it’s not all students

• If there are indeed fans of Vandy football who are not students/alums, I suppose you could say I find them to be equally confusing.

Obviously, sports fandom can be a very arbitrary thing, and I don’t expect there are logical answers to all these questions. Just seems like a very frustrating thing to endure

• GV,

As mo said, look at the college thing. I support my local college basketball team.

Is it the highest level of basket ball? No way.

Will they ever win the championship? Probably not in my lifetime.

But I’m a big fan anyway and I am not alone. There must be miilions of fans in the US who are in the same situation.

• It would seem to me there is a difference between a team that is unlikely to ever win a title because of forces that they can control, or that might change, and those who have no hope because forces external to their own team’s ownership and management prevent them.

As Mo brought up, Duke and Rutgers historically had truly terrible football teams. But then one day administration decided to pump money into the programs, and presto, they both found their way into the BCS-bowl reckoning.

Even without a huge cash injection, sometimes teams hire a great coach or get lucky with a few recruits (Butler basketball comes to mind, among other NCAA examples) and come within a whisker of winning it all.

As a fan, I can always stay engaged if I can make an argument that “If our management only did this” or “If our coach had only done that or “If we’d only hired this guy”, we might be able to shoot the moon and win the title.

But when external/systemic forces render it literally impossible…. how do you stay engaged? Villa will NEVER challenge for the title at this point. Even if they are 3 pts clear at the top of the table in December, they will sell their valuable assets to their direct competitors. 100% chance. It has become the only possible outcome.

As a fan, this would be more than I could bear. I need the illusion that we *just might* win. And for the mid-tier English teams, it is gone entirely.

• You can substitute just about any name in here.
      It is one of the reasons for my name. We have it sooooo good here.

Like I said on the Tim Howard post yesterday. He is 32 points back with 13 games left.
      BRUTAL is the only word I can come up with. The equivilant of last place in MLS as the season ends, in your team’s worst year ever. Except he has 13 games left, and next year will be close to the same…..and he is a in a good situation at Everton comparitively.

• There’s more to being a fan than winning a championship. I Understand the point you’re trying to make and have tried to make repeatedly but I think your view is pretty simplistic. Just because a season doesn’t end in a championship doesn’t make it pointless.

On the other hand watching truly great teams like Real-Barca or Man City-Chelsea is pretty awesome too. There are aspects of both systems that are appealing. Personally, although I love MLS and am a season ticket holder for RBNY, I sometimes feel like the results are just kind of random because the teams are so equal. And the playoff system in MLS is dreadful and Don just made it worse.

• I see what you are saying, but you’re memory of Aston Villa doesn’t go too deep. I am not talking about of when they were European Champions in 82 or 83. I am talking about as soon as 2010 (5 seasons ago) when Aston Villa was perennial Top 6 team battling for European places and FA Cups for 3 or 4 seasons. They are a good manager away, but why would anyone like to live in Birmingham?

• With all respect, I do remember these seasons very well. I remember watching in the late 1990s when Dion Dublin was somehow joint top-scorer in the EPL (and actually became a decent stand-in centerback for a while later in his career). I remember when Juan Pablo Angel was a dominant goalscorer. And I remember how Gareth Barry was a one-man gang for much of the 2000s. And who can forget Thomas Sorenson

In my observation, Aston Villa never seriously challenged for a Champions League Spot come the final weeks of the season, and they certainly never challenged for a title.

But all that is in the past, in any event. The point is that there really will be no “return to glory” or even “semi glory”. From now into the deep black future, they have nothing to look forward to beyond cup runs and relegation avoidance. And that is just depressing. Though not as bad as Olaf Mellberg throwing the ball past Peter Enckleman and into his own goal in a derby match. I guess everything is tolerable once you’ve endured that.

• Here’s what you can say about Villa; in 1990 they had the first manager born outside Britain or Ireland to take charge of a top division club in England, Dr. Josef Venglos of Czechoslovakia,

What a great name.

• No offense taken (I remember those days as well). My question is so you don’t think FA Cup runs and pushing or playing in Europa League (where the winner gets a Champion’s league spot) is something to play for?

My friends in UK put a lot more stock in the FA Cup than we as Americans do. Also, I am fan of a balanced schedule to choose the best league champion. In college, we had balanced schedule to choose the season champion. However, to each his own?

• I guess you could say I would have a hard time with it, yes…. In the end, the average FA Cup run for a team like Villa is about 2-3 games, which really just isn’t a whole lot of soccer for me. I also feel like the FA Cup used to mean more, but I am not in England either and I could be mistaken.

Ultimately I agree– it is probably a matter of “to each his own”. If their fans are happy with things as they are (or as they recently 1have been anyway), then I suppose that’s all that really matters.

• MLS has a better model than the EPL

– said by no one ever (well, I guess not no one. There’s at least one idiot out there that believes it.)