NYCFC, Orlando City and Dynamo begin final preseason prep at Carolina Challenge Cup

Carolina Challenge Cup

By FRANCO PANIZO

Three MLS clubs will make South Carolina the last stop in their respective preseason tours, and the tournament they are all playing in has drummed up quite a bit of interest. One match has even sold out.

The 2015 Carolina Challenge Cup begins on Saturday, as the four teams competing in the 12th edition of the annual competition all take the field. The USL’s Charleston Battery will kick things off against the Houston Dynamo, while MLS expansion clubs New York City FC and Orlando City lock horns in a nightcap that has been sold-out for a couple of weeks now.

In total, the preseason tournament will see three rounds of action over the course of eight days. Each team plays each other once, and the club with the most points at the end will become the latest Carolina Challenge Cup winner.

You can see the full tournament schedule here:

Saturday, Feb. 21 (All times Eastern)

5:00 p.m.: Charleston Battery vs. Houston Dynamo
7:30 p.m.: New York City FC vs. Orlando City

Wednesday, Feb. 25

5:00 p.m.: Houston Dynamo vs. New York City FC
7:30 p.m.: Charleston Battery vs. Orlando City

Saturday, Feb. 28

5:00 p.m.: Houston Dynamo vs. Orlando City
7:30 p.m.: Charleston Battery vs. New York City FC

—–

What are you looking to see in this tournament? How impressive is it that the Orlando-New York City game is sold-out? Which MLS team is the most likely to win this competition?

Comments

1. OCSC supporters were very impressive Sat night. Packed out a section with banners, flags and purple smoke. Non-stop singing. Best chant of the night “Where is Lam-pard?”

Didn’t see a single NYCFC fan although David Villa put on a clinic – expect him to be impressive this year. Crowd went nuts for Kaka, was impressed with his work rate and of course he scored a great goal. He combined well with Shea.

Orlando looks organized and fluid – if they can find a solid goal scorer they could make waves this season. I don’t expect much from NYCFC based on their showing – hopefully Mix can improve their play.

2. Orlando City will travel well if they send 10,000 fans to a Sounders match. Until then they travel well in the Southeast where no other teams exist. Also I think Red Bull always screwed up the team by branding them around the beverage. Should have been New Jersey Metros with Red Bull insignia on the jersey. I never expected much from the arrogant Austrians.

3. Wow…it’s truly a privilege to see Kaka and David Villa kick the ball about live.

Brek Shea is defending pretty well tonight. He looks confident, which is good to see.

Also: be warned, MLS. Orlando City travels strong, I’ll post a video later.

4. As a New Yorker (I live in Brooklyn), I can tell you that I sometimes see people in Red Bulls jerseys or scarves. Every now and again I see a Cosmos jersey or scarf. I have not yet seen any NYCFC paraphenalia even among people like my neighbor who is both a Yankee fan and a soccer fan. (He roots for Man U and thus won’t support a team owned by Man City)

Not a scientific study; just my experience thus far.

5. The Battery took down Houston 1-0 with a second half goal. Beasley played the first half, Davis played into the second and Boniek Garcia looked pretty nasty out there. Great showing by the Battery, they played toe to toe with Houston and came out with the result.

6. I wonder how many red bull fans exist vs nycfc fans.
    I say rbny has about 10,000 fans and decreasing and nycfc has about 12,000 and growing.
    Right.

• RBNY and NYCFC easily have more fans than any other 2 MLS teams combined. A lot of RB fans who live in NYC switched to NYCFC because its closer and cheaper to get to Yankee Stadium than RB Arena, and also because they’re upset about the Petke firing and general lack of club identity. RB is really Jersey’s team now.

7. There used to be a connection between winning this small, pre-season tournament joe winning mls cup. That was years ago. Don’t know if it’s still true today.

8. The beginning of the end of the Brek Shea LB experiment. I predict NYC 4-0 by halftime all scored from the right side of the attack.