By FRANCO PANIZO
At this point, Herculez Gomez might just be the favorite to will his team to a Copa MX trophy.
Gomez continued his strong run of form in tournament play on Tuesday, finding the back of the net for the fifth time in six Copa MX matches with a low strike in Puebla’s match against Merida. More important than adding to his total was the fact that the goal served as the game-winner in a 2-1 comeback victory for the Camoteros. The win pushed Puebla into the tournament semifinals, and Gomez now has six goals in all competitions this Clausura campaign.
Gomez may have helped his side advance in the competition, but a handful of other Americans could not prevent quarterfinals elimination. Jonathan Bornstein went the distance for Queretaro in a scoreless draw with Chivas, but wound up losing, 4-3, on penalty kicks. Meanwhile, some of the contingent of U.S. youngsters at Club Tijuana fell to Chiapas, 2-0.
Another player involved in tournament play this week was Tim Howard, who helped Everton pick up another win in the UEFA Europa League on Thursday. The Toffees defended their turf with a 2-1 victory over Dynamo Kiev in the first leg of their Round of 16 series, and the American goalkeeper contributed by making two saves in the match. The decisive leg is set for March 19.
Here is how the Americans Abroad performed during the midweek action:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made two saves in Everton’s 2-1 win vs. Dynamo Kiev in the first leg of their Round of 16 series in the UEFA Europa League on Thursday.
- Tim Ream started and played 90 minutes in Bolton Wanderers’ 1-0 loss vs. Blackburn Rovers on Wednesday.
- Danny Williams started and played 90 minutes before being substituted in stoppage time in Reading’s 2-1 win vs. Brighton & Hove Albion on Tuesday.
- Hercules Gomez started, played 90 minutes, received a yellow card and scored a GOAL in Puebla’s 2-1 win vs. Merida in Copa MX on Tuesday.
- Michael Orozco did not dress for Puebla.
- Alejandro Guido started and played 90 minutes in Club Tijuana’s 2-0 loss vs. Jaguares de Chiapas in Copa MX on Wednesday.
- Paul Arriola started and played 77 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- Amando Moreno started and played 55 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- John Requejo dressed but did not play for Club Tijuana.
- Greg Garza did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Joe Corona did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Fernando Arce Jr did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Jose Torres did not dress in Tigres UANL’s 1-0 win vs. San Jose in the Copa Libertadores on Wednesday. He is recovering from an injury.
- Jonathan Bornstein started and played 90 minutes in Queretaro’s 4-3 defeat in penalty kicks following a 0-0 draw vs. Chivas de Guadalajara in Copa MX on Tuesday.
What do you think of these performances? Why do you think Gomez has been so successful in Copa MX this season? Think Howard and Everton will close it out vs. Dynamo Kiev?
Share your thoughts below.