By FRANCO PANIZO
Just like that, Tim Howard and Everton’s UEFA Europa League dreams went up in a cloud of smoke.
Up 2-1 on aggregate after last week’s first leg home win, Everton was handed an embarrassing 5-2 defeat by Dynamo Kiev that eliminated the Toffees from the competition on Thursday. Howard came up with three saves in the Round of 16 match, but could not prevent Everton from surrendering four straight goals to become the latest English outfit ousted from Europe. The lopsided loss leaves Everton to focus solely on securing a place in the Premier League, with only six points separating the club from the relegation zone.
While things may not gone as planned for Howard, Danny Williams helped his team keep its tournament hopes alive. Williams and Reading defeated Bradford City, 3-0, at home in an FA Cup replay on Monday, moving the Royals into the semifinals of the competition alongside Arsenal, Aston Villa and one of Liverpool or Blackburn. Williams contributed to Reading’s shutout win with a 90-minute shift.
Another American who helped his side come out on top was Eric Lichaj, who went the distance in Nottingham Forest’s 2-0 triumph over Rotherham United on Wednesday. The win extended the Reds’ current unbeaten run to three games, and has them eight points short of the Championship’s last promotion playoff spot with eight games remaining in the season.
Here is how the Americans Abroad fared during the midweek action:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made three saves in Everton’s 5-2 loss vs. Dynamo Kiev in the second leg of their Round of 16 series in the UEFA Europa League on Thursday. Everton was eliminated via a 6-4 aggregate score.
- Gedion Zelalem did not dress in Arsenal’s 2-0 win vs. AS Monaco in the second leg of their UEFA Champions League series on Tuesday. Arsenal was eliminated on away goals in the 3-3 series.
- Tim Ream started and played 90 minutes in Bolton Wanderers’ 1-0 loss vs. Ipswich Town on Tuesday.
- Oguchi Onyewu did not dress in Charlton Athletic’s 3-0 win vs. Blackpool on Tuesday.
- Zak Whitbread did not dress in Derby County’s 1-0 loss vs. Middlesbrough on Tuesday.
- Danny Williams started and played 90 minutes in Reading’s 3-0 win vs. Bradford City in the FA Cup quarterfinals on Monday.
- Emerson Hyndman did not dress in Fulham’s 3-0 loss vs. Leeds United on Wednesday. He is recovering from an injury.
- Eric Lichaj started and played 90 minutes in Nottingham Forest’s 2-0 win vs. Rotherham United on Wednesday.
- Joe Gyau did not dress in Borussia Dortmund’s 3-0 loss vs. Juventus in the second leg of their UEFA Champions League series on Wednesday. He is recovering from a knee injury. Borussia Dortmund was eliminated via a 5-1 aggregate score.
- Terrence Boyd did not dress in RB Leipzig’s 3-1 win vs. Fortuna Dusseldorf on Monday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Jose Torres did not dress in Tigres UANL’s 4-0 win vs. San Jose in the Copa Libertadores on Tuesday. He is recovering from an injury.
- Ventura Alvarado started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Club America’s 3-0 loss vs. Herediano in the first leg of their CONCACAF Champions League semifinals series on Tuesday.
- Gabriel Farfan dressed but did not play in Jaguares de Chiapas’ 2-1 loss vs. Chivas de Guadalajara in Copa MX.
What do you think of these performances? Surprised by Howard and Everton’s lopsided Europa League loss? Think Williams and Reading can read the FA Cup final?
Share your thoughts below.