By FRANCO PANIZO
Two of Jurgen Klinsmann’s most recent call-ups left for international duty with some notable club performances.
The only problem was that they both came in losses.
Rubio Rubin and William Yarbrough had two of the more noteworthy individual outings from the Americans Abroad contingent this past weekend, as Rubin ended a scoring slump in a narrow defeat while Yarbrough came up with a number of saves to prevent a rout look worse than it was. Rubin netted his third goal of the season and first since December in a substitute cameo in FC Utrecht’s 4-3 loss with NAC Breda, and Yarbrough recorded eight saves for Club Leon in a defensive disaster that ended in a 5-1 pummeling courtesy of Monterrey.
Fabian Johnson was one player who contributed to an impressive result. Johnson went the distance for Borussia Moenchengladbach as they surprisingly defeated league leaders Bayern Munich, 2-0, on the road. The match signaled the first time since January 30 that Bayern lost in any game across all competitions, and also kept third-placed Moenchengladbach with a UEFA Champions League spot for next season.
The weekend was not nearly as kind to Danny Williams. Reading suffered a frustrating 3-2 defeat at the hands of Charlton Athletic, and Williams did not make it until the final whistle for the Royals due to an ejection. Williams picked up his second yellow card in the 85th minute, and will now miss next week’s match against Cardiff City.
Here is how the Americans Abroad fared this weekend:
- Tim Howard started and played 90 minutes in Everton’s 2-1 win vs. Queens Park Rangers on Sunday.
- Brad Guzan started, played 90 minutes and made four saves in Aston Villa’s 1-0 loss vs. Swansea City on Saturday.
- DeAndre Yedlin did not dress in Tottenham Hotspur’s 4-3 win vs. Leicester City on Saturday.
- Geoff Cameron started and played 90 minutes in Stoke City’s 2-1 loss vs. Crystal Palace on Saturday.
- Gedion Zelalem did not dress in Arsenal’s 2-1 win win vs. Newcastle United on Saturday.
- Jonathan Spector started, played 85 minutes and received a yellow card in Birmingham City’s 2-0 loss vs. Cardiff City on Saturday.
- Tim Ream started and played 90 minutes in Bolton Wanderers’ 1-1 draw vs. Wigan Athletic on Saturday.
- Eric Lichaj started and played 90 minutes in Nottingham Forest’s 3-1 loss vs. Norwich City on Saturday.
- Danny Williams started, played 85 minutes and received TWO YELLOW CARDS in Reading’s 3-2 loss vs. Charlton Athletic on Saturday.
- Emerson Hyndman did not dress in Fulham’s 2-0 win vs. Huddersfield Town on Saturday. He is recovering from a collarbone injury.
- Zak Whitbread did not dress in Derby County’s 2-0 loss vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers on Friday.
- Oguchi Onyewu did not dress in Charlton Athletic’s 3-2 win vs. Reading on Saturday.
- John Brooks started and played 90 minutes in Hertha Berlin’s 1-0 win vs. Hamburg SV on Friday.
- Fabian Johnson started and played 90 minutes in Borussia Moenchengladbach’s 2-0 win vs. Bayern Munich on Sunday.
- Timmy Chandler started and played 90 minutes in Eintracht Frankfurt’s 3-1 loss vs. VfB Stuttgart on Saturday.
- Julian Green did not dress in Hamburg SV’s 1-0 loss vs. Hertha Berlin on Friday.
- Joe Gyau did not dress in Borussia Dortmund’s 3-2 loss vs. Hannover 96 on Saturday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Terrence Boyd did not dress in RB Leipzig’s 1-0 loss vs. Heidenheimer SB on Sunday.
- Alfredo Morales started and played 90 minutes in FC Ingolstadt 04’s 0-0 draw vs. TSV Eintracht Braunschweig on Saturday.
- Bobby Wood did not dress in FC Erzgebirge Aue’s 0-0 draw vs. SpVgg Greuther Furth on Sunday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Andrew Wooten started and played 85 minutes in SV Sandhausen’s 1-1 draw vs. FSV Frankfurt on Friday.
- Jann George did not dress in SpVgg Greuther Furth’s 0-0 draw vs. FC Erzgebirge Aue on Sunday.
- Alejandro Bedoya came off the bench and played 14 minutes in FC Nantes’ 0-0 draw vs. Stade Rennes on Saturday.
- Aron Johannsson started and played 70 minutes in AZ Alkmaar’s 2-1 win vs. Cambuur Leeuwarden on Saturday.
- Rubio Rubin came off the bench, played 26 minutes and scored a GOAL in FC Utrecht’s 4-3 loss vs. NAC Breda on Friday.
- Desevio Payne did not dress in FC Groningen’s 2-2 draw vs. FC Twente on Sunday.
- Conor O’Brien did not dress in FC Magna Wiener Neustadt’s 1-0 loss vs. Rapid Vienna on Sunday. He is recovering from a rib injury.
- Heath Pearce dressed but did not play in IFK Goteborg’s 3-1 loss vs. BK Hacken in the Svenska Cupen on Saturday.
- Michael Orozco started and played 90 minutes in Puebla’s 2-1 loss vs. Pumas UNAM on Sunday.
- Herculez Gomez came off the bench and played 20 minutes for Puebla.
- Joe Corona started and played 58 minutes in Club Tijuana’s 2-1 loss vs. Cruz Azul on Saturday.
- Greg Garza came off the bench and played 32 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- Alejandro Guido did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Paul Arriola did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Jose Torres did not dress in Tigres UANL’s 2-2 draw vs. Santos Laguna on Friday. He is recovering from a herniated disk.
- Edgar Castillo started and played 90 minutes in Atlas’ 2-0 loss vs. Queretaro on Friday.
- Ventura Alvarado came off the bench and played 22 minutes in Club America’s 4-0 loss vs. Veracruz on Friday.
- Jonathan Bornstein started and played 90 minutes in Queretaro’s 2-0 win vs. Atlas on Friday.
- Gabriel Farfan came off the bench and played two minutes in Jaguares de Chiapas’ 1-0 win vs. Universidad de Guadalajara on Saturday.
- William Yarbrough started, played 90 minutes and made eight saves in Club Leon’s 5-1 loss vs. Monterrey on Saturday.
What do you think of these performances? Expecting Rubin, Yarbrough to make an impact in the upcoming U.S. Men’s National Team camp? How surprised/encouraged were you by Johnson and Moenchengladbach’s win over Bayern?
Share your thoughts below.