By FRANCO PANIZO
Fabian Johnson has been in need of a pick-me-up at Borussia Moenchengladbach, and he may have just found it.
Johnson was given a rare start in the club’s meeting with Paderborn on Sunday, and gave manager Lucien Favre something to think about by scoring the game-winner in a 2-0 triumph. The goal came in the 18th minute on a left-footed strike from outside the penalty area that took a very kind deflection, and was Johnson’s first for Moenchengladbach. Playing as a left midfielder, Johnson was also involved in helping create the insurance goal nine minutes before the final whistle. He sprinted towards the end line on the play and hit a cross that was parried into the path of teammate Patrick Herrmann, who netted with a low shot.
There was another foreign-based American to score a decisive tally this weekend. Conor O’Brien was the author of the lone goal in Wiener Neustadt’s 1-0 win over Austria Vienna, converting a 34th-minute penalty kick to push his relegation-threatened side to an upset victory at home. The goal was O’Brien’s fourth of the season, and move Wiener Neustadt to within a point of safety in the Austrian Bundesliga.
While there was some good news from those two European-based players, there was also a negative development over in Mexico. Greg Garza suffered an injury in the first half of Club Tijuana’s game against Pachuca, and had to be replaced by fellow American Joe Corona in the 41st minute. The Xolos were able to overcome that loss, however, as they picked up a 3-2 victory that kept them in first place in Liga MX.
Here is how the Americans Abroad did this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made two saves in Everton’s 2-0 loss vs. Arsenal on Sunday.
- Brad Guzan started, played 90 minutes and made four saves in Aston Villa’s 1-0 loss vs. Newcastle United on Saturday.
- DeAndre Yedlin did not dress in Tottenham Hotspur’s 2-0 loss vs. Chelsea in the Capital One Cup final on Sunday.
- Brad Friedel did not dress for Tottenham Hotspur.
- Geoff Cameron dressed but did not play in Stoke City’s 1-0 win vs. Hull City on Saturday.
- Gedion Zelalem did not dress in Arsenal’s 2-0 win vs. Everton on Sunday.
- Jonathan Spector started and played 90 minutes in Birmingham City’s 1-0 win vs. Brentford on Saturday.
- Will Packwood did not dress for Birmingham City. He is recovering from an injury.
- Tim Ream started and played 90 minutes in Bolton Wanderers’ 1-0 win vs. Brighton & Hove Albion on Saturday.
- Eric Lichaj started and played 90 minutes in Nottingham Forest’s 3-0 win vs. Reading on Saturday.
- Danny Williams started and played 90 minutes in Reading’s 3-0 loss vs. Nottingham Forest on Saturday.
- Emerson Hyndman did not dress in Fulham’s 2-0 win vs. Derby County on Saturday. He is recovering from an injury.
- Zak Whitbread did not dress in Derby County’s 2-0 loss vs. Fulham on Saturday. He is recovering from an injury.
- Oguchi Onyewu did not dress in Charlton Athletic’s 3-0 win vs. Huddersfield Town on Saturday.
- John Brooks started and played 90 minutes in Hertha Berlin’s 1-0 win vs. FC Augsburg on Sunday.
- Fabian Johnson started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL in Borussia Moenchengladbach’s 2-0 win vs. SC Paderborn 07 on Sunday.
- Timmy Chandler started and played 90 minutes in Eintracht Frankfurt’s 2-1 win vs. Hamburg SV on Saturday.
- Julian Green did not dress in Hamburg SV’s 2-1 loss vs. Eintracht Frankfurt on Saturday.
- Joe Gyau did not dress in Borussia Dortmund’s 3-0 win vs. Schalke 04 on Saturday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Terrence Boyd did not dress in RB Leipzig’s 3-2 win vs. FC Union Berlin on Sunday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Alfredo Morales and FC Ingolstadt 04 play TSV 1860 Munich on Monday.
- Bobby Wood did not dress in FC Erzgebirge Aue’s 0-0 draw vs. St Pauli on Sunday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Andrew Wooten started and played 87 minutes in SV Sandhausen’s 2-0 win vs. VfR Aalen on Saturday.
- Jann George did not dress in SpVgg Greuther Furth’s 2-1 loss vs. Kaiserslautern on Friday.
- Alejandro Bedoya did not dress in FC Nantes’ 1-0 win vs. Guingamp on Sunday.
- Aron Johannsson came off the bench and played 11 minutes in AZ Alkmaar’s 2-0 win vs. Willem II Tilburg on Saturday.
- Rubio Rubin dressed but did not play in FC Utrecht’s 0-0 draw vs. Feyenoord Rotterdam on Sunday.
- Conor O’Brien started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL in FC Magna Wiener Neustadt’s 1-0 win vs. Austria Vienna on Saturday.
- Michael Orozco started and played 90 minutes in Puebla’s 4-1 win vs. Queretaro on Saturday.
- Herculez Gomez dressed but did not play for Puebla.
- Greg Garza started and played 41 minutes in Club Tijuana’s 3-2 win vs. Pachuca on Friday.
- Joe Corona came off the bench and played 49 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- Alejandro Guido did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Paul Arriola did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Jose Torres did not dress in Tigres UANL’s 3-0 win vs. Pumas UNAM on Saturday. He is recovering from an injury.
- Edgar Castillo started and played 90 minutes in Atlas’ 3-0 loss vs. Veracruz on Saturday.
- Ventura Alvarado started and played 90 minutes in Club America’s 1-0 loss vs. Universidad de Guadalajara on Saturday.
- Jonathan Bornstein dressed but did not play in Queretaro’s 4-1 loss vs. Puebla on Saturday.
What do you think of these performances? Will this goal-scoring performance help Johnson finish out the season strong? Expecting O’Brien and Wiener Neustadt to avoid relegation?
Share your thoughts below.