By FRANCO PANIZO
The drop zone might still be too close for comfort, but both Brad Guzan and Tim Howard helped their respective clubs post lopsided victories to move a step closer to guaranteeing another season in the Premier League.
Threatened by relegation, Everton and Aston Villa alleviated some of this campaign’s mounting pressure by recording shutout wins this weekend. Guzan and the Villans went on the road and routed Sunderland, 4-0, on Saturday while Howard and the Toffees defended their home turf by knocking off Newcastle United a day later with a 3-0 triumph. Neither goalkeeper was overly busy, but both had to come up with a few stops to keep their cleansheets in tact. Aston Villa and Everton now respectively sit three and six points above the red line.
Tim Ream was another player who helped his club pitch a shutout, but he also contributed on the offensive end. Ream delivered the game-winning assist in Bolton Wanderers’ 2-0 win over Millwall, setting up teammate Adam Le Fondre in the 10th minute. Ream manned his usual left back spot for the 16th-placed Trotters, who put an end to a two-game winless run and are now 10 points clear of danger in the Championship.
John Brooks’ contributions were not as positive. Brooks was involved in both of the goals Hertha Berlin surrendered in a 2-2 draw with Schalke on Saturday, including the 90th-minute leveler from Joel Matip. Despite settling for the draw, Hertha remain three points above the Bundesliga’s relegation zone.
Here is how the Americans Abroad performed this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made three saves in Everton’s 3-0 win vs. Newcastle United on Sunday.
- Brad Guzan started, played 90 minutes and made two saves in Aston Villa’s 4-0 win vs. Sunderland on Saturday.
- DeAndre Yedlin did not dress in Tottenham Hotspur’s 3-0 loss vs. Manchester United on Sunday.
- Geoff Cameron came off the bench and played 45 minutes in Stoke City’s 1-0 loss vs. West Bromwich Albion on Saturday.
- Gedion Zelalem did not dress in Arsenal’s 3-0 win vs. West Ham United on Saturday.
- Jonathan Spector started and played 90 minutes in Birmingham City’s 1-1 draw vs. Huddersfield Town on Saturday.
- Tim Ream started, played 90 minutes and had an ASSIST in Bolton Wanderers’ 2-0 win vs. Millwall on Saturday.
- Eric Lichaj started and played 90 minutes in Nottingham Forest’s 0-0 draw vs. Leeds United on Saturday.
- Danny Williams did not dress in Reading’s 4-1 loss vs. Watford on Saturday. Williams and Reading play Bradford City in the FA Cup quarterfinals on Monday.
- Emerson Hyndman did not dress in Fulham’s 1-1 draw vs. Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday. He is recovering from a collarbone injury.
- Zak Whitbread did not dress in Derby County’s 1-1 draw vs. Norwich City on Saturday. He is recovering from back and hamstring injuries.
- Oguchi Onyewu did not dress in Charlton Athletic’s 3-1 loss vs. Blackburn Rovers on Saturday.
- John Brooks started and played 90 minutes in Hertha Berlin’s 2-2 draw vs. Schalke 04 on Saturday.
- Fabian Johnson came off the bench and played 10 minutes in Borussia Moenchengladbach’s 2-0 win vs. Hannover 96 on Sunday.
- Timmy Chandler started and played 90 minutes in Eintracht Frankfurt’s 4-0 win vs. SC Paderborn 07 on Saturday.
- Julian Green dressed but did not play in Hamburg SV’s 3-0 loss vs. TSG 1899 Hoffenheim on Saturday.
- Joe Gyau did not dress in Borussia Dortmund’s 0-0 draw vs. FC Cologne on Saturday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Terrence Boyd and RB Leipzig play Fortuna Dusseldorf on Monday.
- Alfredo Morales started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in FC Ingolstadt 04’s 3-1 loss vs. Karlsruhe on Sunday.
- Bobby Wood did not dress in FC Erzgebirge Aue’s 3-0 loss vs. VfR Aalen on Sunday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Andrew Wooten started and played 70 minutes in SV Sandhausen’s 1-0 loss vs. TSV Eintracht Braunschweig on Sunday.
- Jann George did not dress in SpVgg Greuther Furth’s 3-0 loss vs. TSV 1860 Munich on Friday.
- Alejandro Bedoya started and played 90 minutes in FC Nantes’ 2-1 win vs. Evian Thonon Gaillard on Saturday.
- Aron Johannsson started and played 90 minutes in AZ Alkmaar’s 3-1 loss vs. Vitesse Arnhem on Friday.
- Rubio Rubin dressed but did not play in FC Utrecht’s 3-1 loss vs. Cambuur Leeuwarden on Sunday.
- Conor O’Brien did not dress in FC Magna Wiener Neustadt’s 2-0 loss vs. Wolfsberger AC on Saturday. He is recovering from a rib injury.
- Michael Orozco started and played 90 minutes in Puebla’s 2-1 loss vs. Chivas de Guadalajara on Saturday.
- Herculez Gomez started and played 90 minutes for Puebla.
- Joe Corona started and played 80 minutes in Club Tijuana’s 3-1 win vs. Veracruz on Friday.
- Greg Garza came off the bench, played 10 minutes and received a yellow card for Club Tijuana.
- Alejandro Guido did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Paul Arriola did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Jose Torres did not dress in Tigres UANL’s 2-1 win vs. Pachuca on Saturday. He is recovering from a herniated disk.
- Edgar Castillo started and played 90 minutes in Atlas’ 2-1 win vs. Monterrey on Saturday.
- Ventura Alvarado came off the bench and played 11 minutes in Club America’s 1-0 win vs. Santos Laguna on Saturday.
- Jonathan Bornstein started and played 66 minutes in Queretaro’s 1-0 loss vs. Toluca on Sunday.
- Gabriel Farfan dressed but did not play in Jaguares de Chiapas’ 2-0 loss vs. Pumas UNAM on Saturday.
What do you think of these performances? See both Howard and Guzan avoiding relegation this season? Is Ream deserving of a long look with the USMNT?
Share your thoughts below.