Who should Klinsmann call up vs. Denmark and Switzerland?

Jurgen Klinsmann USA 10082014

By FRANCO PANIZO

Many of the U.S. Men’s National Team’s best players may have made the move over to MLS, but there are still plenty of top talents in Europe, and Jurgen Klinsmann will have the chance to see them, and combine them with the best MLS has to offer.

The U.S. takes on Denmark and Switzerland in a pair of European friendlies this month, and Klinsmann has plenty to mull over in terms of who should be included in his roster. The European and Mexican-based players are available for selection for the first time since November and the MLS season has started, giving Klinsmann the pick of the litter as he continues to prepare and mold his team ahead of this summer’s CONCACAF Gold Cup.

There’s also been talk of potentially integrating some new dual nationals, making decisions even tougher for Klinsmann ahead of this weekend’s roster unveiling.

Who will get the call? Here are the 23 players we could see being called in for the games against Denmark and Switzerland:

PROJECTED MARCH 2015 USMNT ROSTER

GOALKEEPERS– Brad Guzan, Nick Rimando, William Yarbrough

Guzan and Rimando should be locks for this roster, but the third goalkeeper spot is a little more of an unknown. Bill Hamid has been getting the looks as of late, but Klinsmann recently spoke about Club Leon goalkeeper Yarbrough and might be keen to give the undecided dual national a call-up. There’s no reason Klinsmann can’t summon four goalkeepers, but if he sticks with three then Yarbrough will probably get the nod over Hamid.

———–

DEFENDERS– Geoff Cameron, John Brooks, Omar Gonzalez, Tim Ream, Timmy Chandler, DeAndre Yedlin, Greg Garza, Brek Shea

A full stable of options gives Klinsmann plenty to work with and consider here, as a number of players are seeing the field regularly for their clubs. Yedlin is the exception, but Klinsmann will want to get him some competitive minutes and continued exposure to the U.S. set-up, so he’s in.

The other fullbacks listed have all been receiving consistent minutes when healthy, and Klinsmann has been high on all of them recently. Centrally, Cameron and Brooks should be back in the mix along with Gonzalez. Jermaine Jones misses out as he continues to recover from sports hernia surgery.

Matt Besler’s recent public comments about fitness make him an interesting case here, but his Week 1 red card for Sporting Kansas City may have given Klinsmann just enough ammo to leave the veteran out for this round of games.

Ventura Alvarado is someone who has been mentioned recently, but it’s still unknown whether he will play for the U.S. or Mexico. If he accepts a call from Klinsmann, he’ll be in this group.

———–

MIDFIELDERS– Clint Dempsey, Michael Bradley, Mix Diskerud, Danny Williams, Alejandro Bedoya, Fabian Johnson, Graham Zusi, Alfredo Morales

Another healthy group, Klinsmann has all of his top weapons available here. Dempsey, Bradley, Diskerud, Johnson and Bedoya are shoo-ins, and Morales should also be in the picture again given his continued starting role for 2. Bundesliga leaders Ingolstadt.

Joining them should be the returning Williams and Zusi. Williams has been starting for Reading and recently helped the club reach the FA Cup semifinals, and Zusi is healthy again and back to contributing for Sporting KC.

Due to the number of options, Julian Green and Miguel Ibarra could be omitted this time around. Green has been struggling for playing time at Hamburg, and could join the U.S. Under-23s for their European friendlies instead of the senior side. Ibarra, meanwhile, is in the midst of his preseason with Minnesota United FC and might not be fit enough to partake in this camp.

———–

FORWARDS– Jozy Altidore, Aron Johannsson, Rubio Rubin, Gyasi Zardes

With Johannsson healthy again and scoring goals for AZ Alkmaar, his U.S. return seems all but guaranteed. Zardes should be in the mix again after a strong showing against Panama last month, and he and Johannssson will be joined by Altidore. Rubin has lost his regular role at FC Utrecht, but still could be called upon given the relative lack of options Klinsmann has because of injuries.

One outside possibility is Juan Agudelo, who has started in both of the New England Revolution’s games this season and shown some promise.

———-

What do you think of this roster? Would you like to see someone called in that didn’t make the cut here? Should Klinsmann call in Green?

Comments

1. Any Keeper

Garza Brooks Cameron Alvarado (could switch Cameron)

Johnson Williams Morales Bedoya

Wooten Novakovich

This midfield could defend, recover balls quickly, and create tempo against the Danes, plus lets gamble up front, and perfect time test-out the players abroad.

2. I presume Germaine Jones is still out? This group should be made up mostly of current European players. So i would think that pretty much should leave out Graham Zusi and Matt Besler. I thin Zardes didn’t look too great in his most recent MLS games. Altidore looked good; so he should play.

3. ST: Jozy
    AM: Johnson, Dempsey, Bedoya/Zardes
    DM: Bradley, Diskerud
    DEF: Garza, Brooks, Cameron, Chandler
    GK: Bradley “The Goose” Guzan

I’ll take this line up.

4. Just curious.. Anyone know why Jonathan Spector doesn’t get mentioned anymore? He gets lots of minutes these days with his club team.

• Probably because he has been injured a lot, usually at a bad time in terms of playing for the US.

He is playing now but he only recently returned to action.

• Spector, while a good all around player, will have a difficult time getting back into the USMNT Picture. The reason for this is basically the other players within the pool, his age, and his history of injury. Spector (29) playing in the Championship, can play across the defensive 4 or as a CDM. Looking at the players who could/have been called in and decide who should be removed from contnetion to give Spector another chance….
      LB: Fabian (27), Garza (23), Chandler (24), Lichaj (26), Rogers (27), Ream (27), Shea (25)
      CB: Jones (33), Besler (28), Brooks (22), Gonzalez (26), Cameron (29), Alvarado (22), Hedges (24), Birnbaum (24), Packwood (22)
      RB: Fabian (27), Yedlin (22), Chandler (24), Lichaj (26), Cameron (29)
      CM: Bradley (27), Jones (33), Williams (26), Morales (24), Torres (27), Edu (28), Trapp (22), Kitchen (23), Powers (24)
      The fact of the matter is that other than Jones & Cameron (Current starting 11 worthy selections) all of Spector’s opposition for a place in the USMNT is on nearly equal footing talent wise and all are younger with more upside.

5. i would rather see Zusi in the midfield and not on the wing. he could be a great in the center of midfield or number 10.

6. out of curiosity, what’s the deal with Khiry Shelton, surely i’m jumping the gun but he looks and plays a year or two older than he is. obviously I’ve only seen him in limited minutes but he’s a big strong yet fast forward and at 21 is it too early to really look at him for the NT? like i said, I’m clueless on him other than a couple games I’ve watched so far but he looks like a good NT prospect. maybe he’ll be the last fwd on the WC18 squad? idk. just wondering.

Definitely interested in TomG, Nate Dollars, Increase0 and GW’s thoughts on the subject

7. While I don’t have any issue with the players listed I’d suggest a couple changes in order to test the waters….
    At Keeper I’d drop Rimando to bring Hamid & Yarbrough. As much as I like Rimando…now is the time to get younger guys some camp & match time. A 40+ Rimando doesn’t do it for me.
    At Defense I’d drop Yedlin, Gonzalez/Ream and add Lichaj & Ventura Alvarado. Yedlin should be w/ the U-23’s to lead them while getting match fit for Full national team duty. Lichaj is on a good run of form, has very good speed, and can hit a good cross…not to mention has a Long Throw that can add to the attack. Not a fan of Ream so would prefer to have a look at Alvarado to see how he fits into the depth chart.
    At midfield…maybe move Dempsey to forward (over Rubin) and add winger. Exactly who Not sure (Gatt maybe…but would love it to be Nagbe but he’s not able to yet).
    At striker move Rubin to the U-20’s or U-23 (see above midfield). No need to rush him, as he’ll need time to mature, and I’d rather him get extended field time with the younger bracket than get throw away time with the Sr. squad. Just don’t want to see Wondo called in any more.
    As for some of the other options out there (Green, Zelalam, etc…) they should be with the U-23 squads at this point and not with the Sr. Side.

8. I think Hamid is in fact our best keeper right now, but I admit to being biased as well. he is also like 3-4 years younger than S. Johnson.

I agree with leaving out Besler, but I would also leave out Zusi for now…his form is meh.

Also, I think Yedlin is still recovering from injury, so I hope to see Lichaj getting another chance. He did well for US before.

9. I just don’t get why there is not more love for Benny feilhaber. Such a waist for him to not be in there next to Michael Bradley. Heck throw mix into a midfield trio and we’d have something. I just don’t get it!!!

• Yeah. You watch Benny on the field he’s come a ways. He used to be good going forward and non-existent defensively but several years at SKC seems to have knocked that out of him…Vermes definitely seems to have convinced BF that if he doesn’t track back, he doesn’t play, and he’s gotten much more complete in that regard…while not losing his ability going forwards. Klinsmann doesn’t seem to have noticed. Or just plain doesn’t like him.

I’d look at him again, personally. I think he’s better than Zusi.

• I remember reading that JK and Vermes worked together on the head case that was Benny to try and get him straightened out for SKC and eventually the US.

Benny has worked long and hard to get his reputation as a talented but inconsistent head case. And he deserves every inch of his reputation. He spent years living off of his 2007 Gold Cup Final golazo.

I remember Benny in the game after the January camp of 2013 spending more time appealing for fouls than actually playing.

But he is better now and I’m sure if he gets a shot at the US again it will be because he has worked really hard and because Vermes will put in a good word for him with JK. After all how do you suppose Zusi and Besler got to their January camp in the first place?

• I just don’t get it. He was there in 2009 confed cup, and he was huge in South Africa in 2010. He came in at halftime of the Slovenia game and brought us back from the depths. I just don’t get it. He was money for SKC in helping them win MLS cup.

A 2013 January camp game, against Canada??? He was probably the best player on the pitch in this game. Who cares though, because when the games really count, this guy has shown up to play.

My theory, prior to the 08 Olympics Benny had a tiff with the prodigal son fredy adu. Benny ended up with the short end of that stick, and the bust up stuck with him, unfairly.

We need to be cultivating talent better in our county.

• beachbum, dkranovich

You guys have very selective memories.

Talk about a hack job, you are giving Benny credit for “bringing us back from the depths ” vs Slovenia in South Africa?

That’s a crock.

Benny and Mo Edu came on at half time and a three minutes later Landon nearly took the Slovenian keeper’s face off with a roofer. I’m not sure I’ve seen a better LD goal.

Donovan also sent in the cross that Jozy headed down for Mikey to stab in for the equalizer.

And Donovan was the guy whose pass Mo Edu blasted into the net for the winning goal except it wasn’t a goal.

That Slovenia comeback was all LD.

Under BB , Benny went from being a sure fire starter, the man who, based on his talent, should have been Mikey’s sidekick from 2007 on, to a non-entity and then to a second half sub. In South Africa, he’d sub for a forward like Jozy or Findley or Gomez and then Clint would push up. He did good but given what his talent level is, his entire body of work under BB was disappointing and that is on him. As it was you’d have to credit BB who went out of his way to keep bringing Benny along even he looked at times like he was on his way out of football.

He has all the talent in the world but he is inconsistent. Look up underachiever in the dictionary and you will find a picture of Benny.

He is young enough that he can still make an impact but the guy he is most likely to displace is Mix. Does anyone see any reason to do that?

• When you have a Benny feilhaber, who is brasilians born, you harness that power and get the most out of it when soccers biggest event is taking place in his birth nation. I mean, isn’t that freaking obvious.

We are going to be golden if Russia somehow loses the World Cup to Germany.

• Germany 7- Brazil 1

Being born in Brazil and harnessing that power sure did the Selecao in Brazil a lot of good, didn’t it.

10. I think Nagbe becomes eligible in september. any chance he starts getting training time early? Talk about someone who fits all over the 3 in the 4-2-3-1 and who looks to really be establishing himself.

• Yeah. I’m a huge Nagbe fan myself. He’s got it all – skill on the ball, pace. We’re not loaded at outside mid and Nagbe is good enough for the 23 instantly…personally I think he’s a starter.

Very much want him.

11. I’ll take these guys – right now.

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Friedel), Kasey Keller, Tony Meola
    DEFENDERS (8): Jeff Agoos, Gregg Berhalter, Frankie Hejduk, Carlos Llamosa, Pablo Mastroeni, Eddie Pope, David Regis, Tony Sanneh
    MIDFIELDERS (8): Chris Armas, DaMarcus Beasley, Landon Donovan, Cobi Jones, Eddie Lewis, John O’Brien, Claudio Reyna, Earnie Stewart
    FORWARDS (4): Clint Mathis, Brian McBride, Joe-Max Moore, Josh Wolff

12. Seems like Matt Hedges is a good choice over Omar Gonzalez in the back line. He is an all-round solid physical player who can control the back line. Gonzalez’s skill is usually negated by costly mistakes. Seems like Hedges should get a few more games to prove his worth on the international stage.

• Disagree! Allow me to hop on my soap box! In my opinion, Omar is a must have on the roster. Matt Hedges over Omar, are you kidding?

Also, I don’t know where this narrative of “Gonzalez is prone to that constant big mistake” has come from and why its been made specific to Omar? All of our defenders in our pool who have played more than one game have had moments where they messed up and cost us a goal or looked shaky. Jermaine Jones, Besler, Cameron, Brooks, Ream, Orozco, all of them have had more than one howler of a moment. Do you guys not remember? For example, who is the one that had the big howler in the World Cup? It wasn’t Gonzalez it was Cameron, and Gonzalez had an excellent World Cup.

Here is the case for Omar Gonzalez. Out of all of our defenders, he is the only one that is “world class” at a specific skill-set, which is that he is dominant in the air both defensively and on offense. He’s also an above-average emergency defender, and a good defender overall.

The case against him is that at 6’4 he is not fast, but he’s not slow either. Also, he is not as good a passer and dribbler as guys like Jones, Cameron, Besler, Ream and Orozco. But, and this is a big BUT, those other guys aren’t that great at it either (J Jones the exception but thats because he is a midfielder playing out of position). They definitely arent “world class” or even above average. They are only slightly better than Gonzalez at that skill. So you take everything into consideration and Omar is your man! I put him ahead of Cameron because Cameron doesn’t even get to play center-back for his team. Most of you think Cameron is better simply because he plays in the EPL. The World Cup showed us Omar is better. Also Omar Gonzalez has played in pressure situations and won championships more often than Cameron. Cameron is no longer a sure-bet starter for Stoke.

My depth chart is something like:

—-Brooks——Gonzalez—-
      —-Orozco——-Jones——
      —-Besler——-Cameron—
      —-Ream——??????—

• UCLA,
        Agree with everything you said about Omar, was impressed how he recovered and played in Brazil, and is definitely the best we have in the air, I don’t know where it’s coming from that he’s not in the rotation.. that’s nuts. Just don’t knock on Cam too much there, he was the only player we had named to The FIFA best 11 in two different rounds, and was the only player in Brazil to be named Best 11 at 2 different positions. No matter how they determined it, he’s gotta get credit for that.

• You’ve convinced me.

I don;t see either Cameron or Gonzalez, based on their skills and US track records as first choice USMNT center backs anymore.

However, it is nice to have them as depth.

At this point it looks like Brooks and whoever emerges from the pack

• Hmmm… I agree, but perhaps for a slightly different reason. I think Omar remains in the running for a slot at CB, but I don’t think JK will pair him with Brooks, even if he is “second choice” in an absolute sense. But basically yes, I concur.

13. i think the list here is pretty much spot on. i think Alvarado/Ream/Spector/Castillo will all be under consideration and it’ll be interesting to see who they go with.

• It’s going to be interesting to see if the u20 & u23 roster pulls and players from this group. I would not bet on it but I would like to see Yedlin move to the u23 and try Alvarado or give Castillo another go. Both in great form. I would enjoy seeing Spector again but just don’t see JK going that direction.

14. Going to disagree slightly with the comment about Juan Agudelo in that during the two matches I watched, I don’t think he’s shown much promise yet. He is clearly lacking the sharpness that comes from regular playing and I find myself wishing they would start Davies instead and bring Juan in as a substitute until he can show more. I do know that they offer different things, but he’s gone from 0 to 100 too quickly.
    Certainly, though, Klinsmann has been known to call in guys he likes who have hardly seen the field (Shea…)

• Jurgen looks for difference-makers, which is why he’s been so reluctant to let go of Shea regardless of club form. Shea did not exactly have a good spell in England and he was up and down in MLS as well…and when he’s bad, he’s bad…but he’s still a game-breaker when he’s on and feeling it.

The guy has rare size and a crazy turn of pace, and he’s shown in the past he can be a matchup nightmare.

• I agree. Watching Shea can get painful, but he has a certain creativity that he can bring in flashes that gives us something others often don’t. I think Jurgen sees that expression in him, and is hoping Shea doesn’t lose confidence and instead builds on his strengths.

• Dempsey is one of our best players still, and sometimes still too underrated. He’s still in great form, and I see no reason leaving him out until possibly after 2016. We still need Dempsey in, especially with the Gold Cup coming up. Regardless, who would we replace him and Altidore with? In my opinion, AJ is good, but he still hasn’t proven himself in a top league. Until he plays well in EPL, Bundesliga, etc, then I’ll consider him over Altidore. We can’t judge Altidore by his club form all the time either, he plays infinitely better for the Nats. Sad but true, we still lack great forward options. Dempsey is still our best goalscorer at the moment, and without him it’ll be more difficult to bang em home.

• Happened they get injured? just before the World Cup? We have un-expierence forwards without any important caps. I not saying; “never call Dempsey and Altidores”, but start developing youth players with caps, in these friendlies.

• I see what your saying and I agree that we need to get some more blood on our other forwards, but I think Jurgen is really trying to get some wins now after our terrible play since the WC. I think it’s more important to get some wins in the next couple games too, need that morale boost going into the Gold Cup.

• Danes and the Swiss perfect teams to test some new forwards with more experience Abroad midfielders like Bedoya, Johnson and Williams. Lack playing was one the reason the USNT looked poor in some friendlies, now MLS in season and these players already playing for their clubs…take some risk. Chile and Eire games had more positive than negatives.

• Those two are still clearly the best but I agree, I would like to see as much as possible of Zardes, Johannsson and Rubin

• Klinsmann’s target is getting ready for the Gold Cup. He needs these and upcoming friendlies to get what is close to the full regular team some work together. To win the Gold Cup, Altidore and Dempsey will be absolutely crucial Altidore also will be vital in 2018 (which is when he should be at the top of his game, being 28 with loads of experience). Dempsey will probably be phased out after the South American Cup in 2016.

• ” Dempsey will probably be phased out after the South American Cup in 2016.”

Why? Why get rid of him if he is maintaining his form with the Sounders? He will be 35-36 in 2018 which is the same age as Miro Klose was in Brazil.

He was never fast so he ain’t going to lose much speed. If he is still playing well in leading up to 2018 I see no reason to discard him unless it is necessary. Clint may not be in Klose’s class as a scorer but I see no one yet in the player pool or coming up who is anywhere near him.
        . .

• It’s not the south ameican cup it’s called the Copa America! South American cup is a club level competition. Geez you embarrass yourselves.

• Daniel,

This is from the much ridiculed Wikipedia:

“The Copa América (Spanish and Portuguese for “America Cup”),formerly known as South American Football Championship (Campeonato Sudamericano de Football[4] in Spanish), is an international association football competition contested between the men’s national football teams of CONMEBOL, determining the continental champion. It is the oldest international continental football competition”

So Gary Page calling it the South American Cup is hardly such a stretch as to be embarrassing.

In fact input “South American Cup” into google and you get Copa America.

Here is the definition of Copa Libertadores

“ The Copa Libertadores de América (Portuguese: Copa Libertadores da América) is an annual international club football competition organized by CONMEBOL since 1960. It is one of the most prestigious tournaments in the world and the most prestigious club competition in South American football. The tournament is named in honor of the Libertadores (Spanish and Portuguese for liberators), the main leader of the South American wars of independence,[1] so a literal translation of its name into English would be “Liberators of America Cup”.

You should be embarrassed.

• There are two club competitions in South America. 1. Copa Libertadores 2. Copa Sudeameriana. Number 2 would translate to South American cup not the Natinonal Team competition called Copa America translating directly to American Cup. If you use your nerdy logic to defend calling it South American Cup when speaking to fans who have followed it for decades then they will not know what the hell your talking about. Only reason I knew is because the U.S. will participate in the 2016 edition of Copa America not the club south American cup competition. So don’t get all embarrassed or butt hurt about it. Just get it right.

• Well, while we are all being pedantic, the 2016 tournament is actually the “Copa America Centenario”, which is an independent, off-cycle “special edition” tournament played outside of the normal locational and organizational structure of the South American competition it celebrates. It will even have its own specially designed trophy.

Organizers have publicly classified the “Copa America Centenario” as an individual, one-off event, separate from its namesake…. though they have not ruled out the possibility of working together in the future.

• Dude what are you talking about?? It’s still the Copa America but the 100th Anniversary that is why they added the Centenario meaning Century or 100 years. But it is always called Copa America ask anybody from South America or Central America and they will tell you. Nothing wrong with just admitting you made a mistake instead of rationalizing it.

• Wrong. It is not the Copa America. It is a different competition that shares a similar name in homage to the initial tournament. It has a different format, different location, different # of teams, different trophy, different organizers….

Unlike the Copa America “proper”, it will not determine the S. American champion, nor will it determine entry to the Confederations Cup. It is a contrived event, a one-off concocted largely by Sunil Gulati (which isn’t to say it won’t be incredibly awesome). Without the USSF creating the event, there would not be a Copa America in 2016. It runs every four years… next two are 2015/2019.

15. Hamid is our future #1 GK and really should be with this group. I understand Klinsmann’s leave-no-stone-unturned philosophy but sometimes the best option is right in front of your nose playing in MLS.

• So is he better off playing @LA for United or training in Europe with the National team? Idk…

Yarbrough looks real good too. Probably better than Hamid and Johnson at the moment. I was under the impression that he was leaning towards el Tri. But if the opportunity is there I’d call him in. Same with Alvarado.

• I think the thought process was that Yarbrough was never going to get much attention from the US because of our depth at GK, so he never expressed much interest (also knowing that the fans in Mexico get down on anyone who doesn’t express undying El Tri loyalty). A call from JK and all of the sudden, he was doing the “gee, whoever calls first…” dance.

Players keep their cards close to their chests when there are competing interests involved.

• Matt,

JK is the guy who originally included Hamid and Sean Johnson in the USMNT picture when no one expected it. So if you are saying JK doesn’t know who Hamid is you are wrong.

Do you feel Hamid is better than Guzan? I see no reason to think that.

• Not what Matt was saying at all. He’s saying that Hamid needs to be with the Nat’l team whenever there’s a camp because he is the next guy to AFTER Guzan. And that’s a decent, reasonable theory moving forward. I don’t think Brad gets more than 1 world cup in goal (with Rimando in reserve). Really, it’s a fight for the future and either Hamid or Johnson are the next up.

• Hamid is 24. Physically, athletically, he has everything he needs.

But goalkeeping is different So much of it is mental, which is why keepers tend to get better as they age and last longer. Guzan sat for years behind Friedel and then Shay Given at Villa. Now he has spent the last few years facing some of the best offensive players in the world on a regular basis and doing very well.

Hamid’s club career experience doesn’t come close to that and he will have to find a way to approximate it at the club level because the nature of the goalkeeping position is such that it is very difficult to get backups meaningful minutes in games.

Considering how rarely third string keepers have actually ever played for the USMNT Hamid is doing pretty well at this point.

• By the way, Howard is talking about playing in Russia. I thought he wanted to retire so we’ll have to see how this plays out.

16. Okay, not a bad group. I’d like to see Orozco called in, as well. And, I don’t see the need for Zusi. Otherwise, I’m game.

Projected Starting XI (4-2-3-1) from this group:

————————– Altidore —————————-
    Johnson ———– Dempsey ———— Bedoya
    —————- Bradley ——— Diskerud —————
    Garza ——– Brooks ——- Cameron —- Chandler
    ————————— Guzan —————————-

or, if Garza isn’t 100% (and I pray we don’t see Shea):

————————– Altidore —————————-
    Bedoya ———– Dempsey ————— Yedlin
    —————- Bradley ——— Diskerud —————
    Johnson ——– Brooks ——- Cameron —- Chandler
    ————————— Guzan —————————-

17. From Ives’ expected lineup, most excited to see Aron, Fabian, Ream and Garza. Never had much confidence in Danny Williams but hopefully he does well.

• Agreed. He keeps scoring in MLS – damn it! I really wish he would stop getting called.
      JK likes his work rate and i am sure he is an excellent guy to have in camp.

Just is not at the national team level.

• Why? He’s an OK right back at a position where Jurgen – and everybody – wants wingbacks who can get out of the back and go rampaging down the flank. We have Fabian Johnson, Timmy Chandler, Yedlin. I’d even put DC United’s Sean Franklin ahead of Lichaj.

Just doesn’t add much, at the International level. Decent pro at the Championship level, but you gotta have guys who will add something to the attack.

• Lichaj can play both the right and left back slots and is also extremely capable of adding to the attack. Not on the same level as Johnson or Yedlin, but he is also a much better defender than Yedlin right now. I cant complain about the fullback callus though. Chandler is playing very well in the Bundesliga and Yedlin can use all the seasoning he can get at right back. Garza was been playing well for Tijuana for the last season and a half and Shea has looked good at left back so far and adds to the attack very well. I just don’t agree with Lichaj being called an OK right back, he is much more than that.

18. Couple questions:

I assumed that Ibarra’s first couple call-ups were more about shaking things up and sending a message to the player pool. Showing regulars that their spots aren’t guaranteed and inspiring players in lower levels to be more hungry and compete at a higher level. Are we really considering him a regular at this point?

Also, Dempsey is a midfielder again all of a sudden?

Also, WTF and what the heck.

• Whereas he has Zardes listed as a forward, but I think he’ll play right or left wing to start. Doesn’t matter. I think it’s going to be Klinsmann’s usual 4-2-3-1.

One guy I do hope keeps getting calls is Nguyen. We badly need that #10, and Williams and Morales are not attacking mids. Another omission that could happen is Zusi.

Still looks like a very strong group.

• Is Nguyen fully recovered from that groin problem?.

He did not look sharp for the Revs. No sense calling him in and maybe slowing down his recovery.

• I also get the sense that something is physically amiss with Nguyen– he is missing a gear. I’m guessing he’d be going to great lengths to conceal something like that…. very unfortunate timing. If he’s going to have a future with the USMNT, you’d have to think he’s gotta find his way onto that Gold Cup roster

• Besides the name, what’s the difference between an attacking mid and a withdrawn forward? Very little and Dempsey has been both and spent most of his EPL career as a winger.

19. Also expect zelalem in this group. Just a hunch the dfb is making one last stab but I bet he’s here and the switch gets approved.