Revs mount second-half comeback to beat Union

Revs mount second-half comeback to beat Union


Revs mount second-half comeback to beat Union



Photo by Eric Hartline / USA Today Sports


In a game of two halves, the New England Revolution did slightly more with their possession to come back and win a tough road contest.

The Revs scored twice in a twelve-minute span to defeat the Philadelphia Union, 2-1, at PPL Park. Teal Bunbury created the equalizer from Charlie Davies, before scoring the winner himself in the 76th minute to hand the Revs a second consecutive victory.

In their third game in eight days, the Union had the better start and finish. They were prevented from adding to Cristian Maidana’s free kick goal in the 16th minute by several Bobby Shuttleworth saves.

The Union put five shots on target and had eight corners to try and create a second goal. But for much of the second half, the Revs controlled the tempo of the game, enabling them to see out a valuable victory on the road.

Fernando Aristeguieta thought he had opened the scoring for the Union to cap a dominant opening 15 minutes. He chested down a bouncing ball on the left before carrying it inside the penalty area, exchanging a one-two pass with C.J. Sapong and shooting. The ball ricocheted off of Shuttleworth before hitting the bar and bouncing down, inches away from the goal line.

The Union had to wait for an opener, but it came in a fantastic manner. Maidana lined up a free kick from about 25 yards away, curling a left-foot shot off the near post and into the net.

Their dominance continued into the second half, with Sapong narrowly heading a corner kick wide of the left post in the 56th minute. The Revs turned the tables 10 minutes later, with Bunbury skillfully slipping past Raymon Gaddis on the right to find Davies unmarked and sliding in at the back post for the equalizer.

Bunbury went from provider to scorer in the 76th minute. After winning the ball near midfield, the Revs quickly worked it to second half substitute Diego Fagundez. His cross fell right in the path of a rushing Bunbury, who needed just one tap to slide the ball past McCarthy for the winner.

It was then back to business for the Union, but this time they were unable to find the back of the net. Maurice Edu had an effort saved by Shuttleworth, before both Lee Nguyen and London Woodberry both deflected shots off the line to preserve the win in the final minutes.

Unbeaten in five games, the Revs now look toward Saturday’s home game against Real Salt Lake. The Union face the Columbus Crew on the road, also on Saturday.

More from

More SBI