Adu parts ways with KuPS after three months

Adu_2

By DAN KARELL

Freddy Adu’s latest career roll of the dice has come up short once again.

After a little more than three months under contract with Finnish side Kuopion Palloseura (KuPS), Adu has asked for his release, with both the club and Adu confirming on Tuesday that he has left the club. Adu played just five times for KuPS in the Veikkausliiga, with three starts. He failed to score a goal.

“He will pursue new challenges, and he is not available anymore for the Ilves match,” KuPS head coach Marko Rajamäki told Finnish newspaper Savon Sanomat. “I wish good luck to him. He is just a great personality.”

The five first-team matches Adu took part in were in April and May, after which he was relegated to the club’s reserve team, which plays in the fourth division of Finnish soccer.

Adu left a message on his Twitter account confirming the move, saying, “I have decided to exercise my option in my contract to leave KuPS this summer to pursue other opportunities. I thank the club and my teammates for welcoming me and making me a part of the team and I wish the team good luck for the remainder of the season and in the future.”

KuPS was Adu’s 11th club in his career, and his eighth club since 2008. He’s played 80 league matches in that span for the likes of AS Monaco, Belenenses, Aris, Rizespor, the Philadelphia Union, Bahia, and KuPS.

Adu did not make an appearance for his last club, FK Jagodina in Serbia.

——

What do you think of this news? Where do you see Adu headed next?

Comments

1. Lutch – regardless of whether your use of xenophobia is right or wrong. I get the point you’re trying to make. I just don’t agree with it.

I think the problem has and always will be his attitude and work ethic. He’s had plenty of chances to prove himself and time and again he fails. This can’t simply be down to xenophobia, coaching changes, bad luck, expectations, etc. it’s systemic. And the problem is nothing but Freddy himself.

If he worked as hard as di Maria or any of the of players at benfica and any other club he would have been given the chance to shine. Ever think that di Maria continued to get minutes because his backup (adu) wasn’t worthy of the playing time even when di Maria was struggling?

2. There is technology out there that can identify someone’s age within a year by scanning their bones. Benfica certainly would have used this during Adu’s medical. There is no way they would have spent millions of dollars on an 18 year old that may not have been 18.

Di Maria was the same age and signed the same summer as Adu. They were both talented but Di Maria has the drive. Adu does not. It’s really common to see former prodigies completely flame out in soccer…I don’t understand why USNT fans act like his case is so unique and that he ‘deserves’ to be given chances because he played well in a couple youth tournaments and friendlies.

Ultimately making him a star at the age of 14 is what killed his work ethic. He was given so much so soon that he never really had to go through the experience of working really hard and taking the place of another player who was better than him. He was handed every opportunity on a silver platter because of his talent and never learned the value of working hard. If anyone in US soccer at the time understood the sport, they would have insisted that he play for Inter’s youth academy, where he would have been sheltered from the media and given world-class instruction. Instead he was made the most famous teenage athlete in the US and played kick-and-run for Nowak for four years. Even though he made it to Benfica at a young age, he was already psychologically ruined.

It’s a massive shame because he was the exact type of player this country needs for so many different reasons. At least some people now understand that elite youth academies are a better route to success than playing in the US.

• I agree with you on the bone scan.

The Di Maria stuff is revisionist. Di Maria was getting time on the field to grow and mature, was nurtured and continued to get time no matter how he did on the field, which was pretty brutal and inconsistent that first year and a half. Even with coaching changes he still was treated like a young superstar.

Adu who was a better player at the U20 World Cup, was a better player in the limited opportunities he did have at Benfica. One coaching change …done. Like I said back there if Adu had an -inho at the back of his name his career would have been very different.

• Look, there’s no anti-American conspiracy. These coaches are paid millions of dollars and under extreme pressure to perform. There is no way they will do anything that hurts their own chances. They watch players train every day and use their expert opinion to make decisions. They often give chances to players from countries without much of a soccer history, leading to many success stories. Furthermore, Adu was the most famous soccer player in the hugely untapped market that is the US. Turning him into a regular fixture on the team would have won Benfica millions in shirt sales.

If Di Maria was given a better chance it’s because the coaching staff rated him more highly than Adu. And this wasn’t an isolated incident. Coaches again and again found that Adu had attitude problems. This happened all over Europe.

3. SBI is surely a sociological phenomenon. So many posters who have never failed at anything they tried.
    Gentlemen and ladies, hardworking, honest, normal people fail to achieve their goals, especially very ambitious goals every day, day after day.
    The world is full of former athletes, former prodigies, former phenoms, — who are doing something else. In the old days, it would have been tending bar or pumping gas.
    No one on this board has the slightest bit of information about Adu’s state of mind, attitude, values, consumption of alcoholic beverages or other mind-altering substances or whatever. Why don’t you give the mean-spirited, ignorant blaming a rest?

4. Id like to introduce a theory in regards to Adu. In my college years i was a decent baseball player. Got a scholarship to a juco hoping to develop and get drafted in my second year. Along the way i had the good fortune of playing with and against several players that made it to the major leagues. But i also saw even better talent fall by the wayside because of one glaring issue. THEY PARTIED TO MUCH! I was one of those. I thought i could have the best of both worlds. It rarely works that way.
    I once saw a clip of Adu in a bar partying. And that was when i thought,THIS GUY HAS BEEN GIVEN EVERYTHING AND JUST DOESNT HAVE THE FIGHT AND DRIVE TO MAKE IT AT AN ELITE LEVEL.
    Maybe im wrong. But i think that Freddy never grew up and never had the awareness to realize what he was wasting. And look at him now…..very sad.

• So true – I once read an interview with one of his younger brothers who described Freddy as the Prince of the household. Mom did everything for him.
      I tell you – with him it is attitudinal. He suffers from terminal uniqueness. He is an ego maniac with an inferiority complex, in deep denial about how hard he really has to work in order to succceed in professional socccer.

Yes Europeans look down on, and underrate American soccer players, yes, yes, yes……but there is more to his woes than simply a little Euro snobbist xenophobia.

• Very true. That’s what ruined Pato and continues to. Ronaldinho at his peak was every good as Messi but was just a flash in the pan at that level because of the booze and partying.

Paul Gascoinge is another, at his peak the most talented English player ever.

5. I don’t buy into all the age discrepancy crap, but I will say this… Adu signed as a 14yr old boy (and I mean “boy”). By age 26, which he just celebrated, he had played 12 years as a professional. If he were a college player who started his pro career at 22, that would put the college player at age 34. If Adu was on the same professional trajectory just earlier in his life, it means Adu probable peaked around 18-20yrs old in his playing career. That is as good as he was going to get if he developed in a natural cycle. Judging by his results, i.e. how and where he was playing between 18-20, that is exactly what happened (culminating in the U20 World Cup). I think he is simply breaking down, both MENTALLY and PHYSICALLY after putting that many miles and years in as a pro. Even if he wasn’t playing regularly during the 12 years, he was still practicing, training, etc. The Benfica contract was a unmitigated disaster, and I don’t think anyone will disagree with that. However, maybe he could have prolonged his career a little farther at his highest level if he stayed in the US.

To sum up, he has had as long of a career or longer as most professionals; he just started earlier.

• I think you need to be training and playing for your body to break down physically. Adu has spent more time waiting for his phone to ring than actual playing time.

6. Looking past the ugly comments, might American soccer learn something from the Adu story?

First, it demonstrates that identifying youngsters who will grow into full-fledged professional players is difficult.

Second, it suggests more than a little caution about the early bloomers. My experience from U-10 all-star teams right through college is that coaches and scouts have a weakness for the flashy player with technical skills beyond his years. So often these guys never develop the other skills/abilities that professional soccer players need. After the early years, they often prove to be the players that are too small or too slow to be big time players.

Third, we need to wary of MLS’s ability to develop players. Certainly MLS seems to have come a long way since Adu was signed, but it is still not clear that the academies and such will produce very many decent professionals or that joining an academy is a good decision for young promising players.

Fourth, the US needs more places where young players can learn their trade. There are just as many late bloomers as early bloomers (Cruyff never played for any Dutch national team other than the senior team.) They need places to play to hone their skills. We tend to dismiss college teams, a little unfairly, but if they are not the answer, we need more and better lower division teams with lots of places for Americans.

• ….yes but Cruyff was the son of waitress who wroke the Ajax supporters club bar at the Ajax stadium. He was a suckled in soccer tactics from day one – he was exposed to the best players from teh get go and thus it didn’t matter what youthh teams he was on – he was destined to be a

• Cruyff grew up in post-war European poverty, where he learned to play football with a tennis ball. Why? Because his village didn’t have a football at the time. So he spent a few years in daily pick-up games kicking around that tennis ball, which he credited with his extraordinary touch as an adult.

There are a lot of paths to greatness, whether via hyper organization and endless opportunities or some other disciplining routine. But one thing is certain – it takes some time and effort.

7. I hear the local beer league here in San Diego needs another out of shape 45 year old. Maybe Freddy is interested????

8. I second the commenter above who said, “V League.”

Give it a shot.

Other than that, I am also starting to finally cave in on the age conspiracy. If that’s not it, IVE’S OR SOME OTHER SOCCE WRITER, PLEASE GIVE US SOME INSIGHT, INVESTIGATION, OR IF NOTHING ELSE SOME ENLIGHTENED SPECULATION.

Before I die I need to know the answer to: “What happened to Freddy Adu?” drugs?

ESPN 30 for 30?

9. I just think it’s sad to see this guy waste his talent, when someone like Stu Holden has worked so hard and had the game ripped away from him.

10. Too bad. As well noted, Adu is an interesting case to say the least. I actually followed this one more so than others out of curiosity. Just speaking from what I remeber because I don’t want to waste time looking it up, but I’m pretty sure he scored or had an assist in his debut in a friendly, and they never lost when he started, but he never played a full 90. The one time I saw he did was in a cup game against a lower divion team. I think the problem may be that once you get out of being in professional shape, not just being in shape, it’s really hard to catch back up.
    I personally hope he signs for a non-Cosmos NASL team or an independent USL team.

11. I think the biggest problem with Adu has always been, he thinks he’s a Prodigy and is much better than he really is, so he doesn’t work very hard. It’s time to retire and go to college Freddy, your time has passed.

12. We all know what this is *really* about…Klinsmann needed him to be on stand-by in case of any injuries during the Gold Cup 😛

• In all seriousness though, I hope he finds the right fit and wish him all the best. Maybe he can find a club that’s a good fit for him in Mexico.

13. Combination of wasted talent and bad luck. Was the best player at 2 U-17 World cups, and was one of the three best players at the U-20 in Canada.

Was transferred to Benfica at the same time Di Maria. In the limited opportunities he had there was showing to be a very good player on his way, and had performed better than Di Maria, change of coach. Opportunities gone. That was it.

If Freddy Adu’s last name would have had a -inho attached to the end of his name he would have been given the slack needed for a young and hyped player and his talent would have been nurtured, he would have gotten the opportunities the fact he was a hyped up American played against him especially in the xenophobic world of European soccer. Deandre Yedlin is learning the same lesson now.

I remember the 6 month span in 2011 friendlies against Argentina and Spain, where he was arguably the best player on the field in the match that included the best player ever and was the only US player that looked like he belonged against the world champs. He then had a great 2011 Gold Cup. Seems to me he always offers something when he is actually on the field, even from what I watched with him in Finland.

Has to be one of the strangest careers, something just doesn’t add up.

14. The most blatant case of Anti-American bias I’ve ever witnessed. If he were Brazilian he’d still be with the team.

15. Adu is my travel hero. He has been to so many countries and has collected so many jerseys, that he should be satisfied with his life. He has seen and played soccer in most countries in the world and he is only 39 years old!

16. At the U20 WC in Canada, there were three players vying for the Golden Ball trophy.
    Adu, dos Santos and Aguero.
    Freddy had a breakout, fairy-tale tournament. They beat Brazil in the group stage, with 2 goals from Altidore, effectively eliminating Brazil from the tournament, one set up by Adu with a spectacular dribbling move where he achieved the 4th dimension, juggling the ball and slithering by 2 Brazilian fullbacks in the corner. He scored a hat-trick v. Poland in the Olympic stadium of Montreal, same place where the US women just beat Germany in the semifinal, one of which was an absolute highlight reel wonder goal.
    Look at what Aguero (he eventually won the Golden Ball and Golden Boot for the ’07 U20 WC) and Gio dos Santos have done since then compared to Adu, and there is no comparison.
    His problem is attitudinal. Psychological. Unless he is “reborn” – has a near death experience, drops LSD at the Dead concert, tries peyote, or “comes to Jesus”…….ayahuasca……call it what you may? Oh, why bother…….adios Freddy, fare thee well. I’ve got some other guys in mind – Bradley, Diskerud, Hyndeman, Zelalem, Flores, Corona for starters……….bye, bye. Au revoir. Ciao chico, hasta la vista.

• When Freddy signed for Benfica he played very few games for them

It turns out there was at least one left sided attacking midfielder in front of him.

Some guy named Angel Dimaria.

• GW – Who Freddy performed better than when on the field. Di Maria was not a very good player in those first Benfica years. Fact of the matter is if Freddy was Argentinian as was Di Maria, it would have been Freddy seeing the field, getting the opportunities and getting his talent nurtured. What happened to him in those first years in Europe was pure Xenophobia.

• Do I need to explain who and whom and how to use them to you? You’re actually wrong. Plus pointing out grammar mistakes or in your case trying is sorry as F.

• Xenophobia? I could understand this if DiMaria was Portuguese. Or even Brazilian and spoke the same language. You can’t claim xenophobia when the guy that benefited from it was also foreign.

• xenophobia?

You are why foreigners think Americans know nothing about soccer and are such entitled ,soft, weakling dillettantes..

Your answer is the lazy , easy answer/excuse for every American player who fails aboard.

Which is sort of fitting considering the player in question.

• GW – You may think the answer is lazy but it is true. Where is Aguero now? Di Maria? Suarez? Sanchez? The same players Adu either performed on par with at U20s or better than. Brazilian, Argentinian and South American players are given the benefit of the doubt because of the country they are from. There is a stigma attached to American players and especially more back then when Freddy first moved abroad, that American players are not technical, are not good enough and are only athletes. Yes European teams have a Xenophobic view of American players. I am a foreigner btw I was born and grew up in another country and I respect anyone’s opinion who knows what they are talking about and are not rude if they disagree with my opinion. To be honest the person you describe as “entitled ,soft, weakling dillettantes.” ….is you

Tsl121 – I don’t think I need to explain to you what the word means and how it can be used. It seems like you have a remedial understanding.

• Aguero, Dimaria, Suarez, Sanchez

You think Adu belongs in the same conversation with those guys?

Okay.

• GW -Are you okay?

Adu certainly doesn’t belong in the conversation now. In 2007 at the U20 World Cup 100% he did. My point is, is if Adu was from Argentina or Brazil or Chile or any other South American nation his career trajectory would have been very different.

JCC – Thanks or chiming in. Real quality addition to the conversation . In the context in which xenophobia was used its used perfectly fine and in fact for both forms. Using the word doesn’t have to mean a blanket statement of all foreigners it can be used for just one particular group, to answer tsl121.

• ” if Adu was from Argentina or Brazil or Chile or any other South American nation his career trajectory would have been very different.”

True. America made him a star.

He came to the US because his family won a lottery.

If he had been born in the countries you listed he might never have come to the US at all.

And if he had had wanted to play football for a living he might have faced far more serious competition instead of signing for DC United at 14, where I first saw him play, and being touted as some kind of super star.

In your scenario, right now he might be playing league football for some minor club or he might be working in the Post Office or selling shoes.

But I wouldn’t know since I’ve never been good at laying out alternative reality scenarios.

• yea.. Freddy actually looked promising in those games. Scored a few goals – showed some flash. I was surprised when he was loaned out..

And the U20 game v Brazil was master class. Best player on the field. If only Freddie had ended up as good as Pato eh.

17. I’ve always liked him as a player but it’s impossible to defend him at this point. He has to be near the end of getting chances anywhere and I don’t think his ego will let him take any kind of pay cut.

I would love to see him come back to MLS, get in shape and establish himself as a player again. Nobody is going to pay him millions either at this point unless its part of an incentive laden contract. Too bad he’s pi$%ed away his career

18. A Finnish newspaper, published in Swedish. commented that Adu was “extremely unfit” which I take to mean that he has very little fitness and seems to not want to work hard to increase it. The Finnish team apparently sent him down, not because of his technical abilities, but because he cannot play for more than 10-15 minutes at a time.They were hoping to get him fir enough to call him back up and it was Adu, not the club that asked for the separation.

It seems that Adu’s early years when everyone fawned over him, destroyed his ability and desire to work hard like everyone else in order to contribute.

It seems retirement is the only option should someone fail to talk some sense into him.

• I don’t doubt part of it is fitness, but part is also he is slow as molasses when fit, short, and easy to push off the ball despite his build. Maybe if you saw some terrific sprint you think, ok, let’s get this guy a workout buddy because if he’s fit he’d help. But Freddy is just slow, at which point the Dean Wormer point about how not to go through life is applicable.

19. My guess is he we take a couple months off, go to the Middle East of Asia. His agent will line up a try out and he’ll show some flashes of skill and say he just needs to get back to fitness. He’ll sign, but then never really gets fit and is gone again in a few months.The only mistake Adu is making is not turning this into a show for the travel channel.

20. Damn Adu……I don’t know what to say anymore. I was following him on Facebook (KuPS) and everyone said the same thing we already know; he has talent but lacks fitness. With the world looking at you, being the punch line at every joke, ridiculed a major part of your life/career and you can’t fix the one thing that’ll make you play regular soccer or light a fire under you to do well.
    I don’t get it (what is wrong with Freddy Adu????? If he had to find a personal trainer, nutritionist or an Olympic fitness/track coach in Jamaica for Christ sake, if he had to train day in day out to get $500,000 to $5,000,000 WHY WOULDN’T HE DO JUST THAT!!!!! ASK DONOVAN FOR HELP, ASK FRANK HEDJUK HOW HE DID IT FOR SO LONG…….I’m done)
    This just killed my week

• how about you shift your Adu fanboy-ness to Jozy… someone who has actually done something…

21. I played in college with a bunch of Finnies…good players. Their league is not great, not terrible. The fact that Adu couldn’t get it done there is telling. I think he has a wonderful tool-set but mentality is just…wrong. Unless he has a come to Jesus moment I think his career is over.

22. My co-ed soccer team, Game of Throw-Ins, are in talks to sign him for our Sunday league in Santa Monica. The contract includes my couch for him to sleep on, and an omelet on game day. Negotiations have been tough but ongoing, so hopefully we’ll introduce him in time for our next game against the Hat Trick Ricks.

Only got 3 games left in the 7 game season so hopefully he will make an instant impact once he joins.

• It’s always tough for players coming in from overseas to make the adjustment mid-season. You may want to bring him in when the next season starts in 5 weeks.

• You know what is telling about this comment? I made the same joke on these boards about 4 years ago. Not meaning anything about your comment, just indicative of how long Adu’s career has been a joke.

• HA! I think someone could have used this joke for every time he’s switched clubs!

But seriously, we will be short a man on Sunday so if anyone wants to join, it’s Sunday at Santa Monica Community College…

23. Adu is right behind Unkel Jurgen as a gift to sports journalists (and perhaps internet posters). If it is a slow day, just with check with them for a filler story.
    If we stick with what we know, as opposed to “my best buddy’s second cousin visited Finland and heart that Adu was really 57 and hadn’t run a mile in under 15 minutes,” what do we have? First, Europe is filled with youngish players who showed promise at one time and are now out of soccer or playing at a much lower level, like non-league sides in England. Second, Adu is a luxury type player in today’s soccer — excellent technical skills, decent athleticism, but much better offensively than defensively, and most comfortable in the middle of the field. Again, the lower levels of soccer are full of “attacking central midfielders” who once were with bigger clubs, clubs that want tough, ball-winning, high work rate central midfielders and are willing to overlook technical or offensive flaws. Third, professional soccer worldwide is a highly competitive business. To succeed, you not only have to be good but you have to be in the right places at the right times — with the right coach, the right team, and so on. Going to Benfica was, in hindsight, a risk that Adu probably should not have taken, but there it is, life in big time soccer.

• Sounds like Freddy Adu flirted with you one night, showed you the time of your life, then never called you again.

The kid (or old man) can’t cut it as a pro, nothing more to it. Can’t help but respect that he’s been pulling in six figures at all these different clubs and never plays. Agent of the year for sure

• Why are you rejoicing in someone else’s failure? Is your life so miserable that you need to disrespect someone has had ambition, taken some risks but not not succeeded? Is it because Adu is a young African-American who has dared to do well at least for a time? What failures in your life are you compensating for?

• Good point, Ian. In defense of those mocking him, I suspect it’s more a reaction to the over-hype than anything about his skin color, but good point about toning down the ‘rejoicing.’

• Really? what does his race have to do with anything? literally no one on this entire comment thread has even referenced race. go troll somewhere else.

• You don’t have to mention race to be a racist. Why all this fuss about one player? And why the incessant mean-spirited comments? As my mother would say: “Listen to yourself!” Folks need to realize that, to the disinterested ear, all this abuse hurled at an African-American sounds a bit racist.

• Making it as a top level soccer player, especially in Europe, is about a lot more than talent.

Most people aren’t good enough to even try and most of the ones who are good enough will fail. Miserably.

24. The strangest career arc in history. There’s an interesting piece of investigate journalism waiting to be written about Freddy Adu. I used to dismiss rumors about his age, but his utter failure to even catch on, let alone thrive, anywhere begs for an explanation of how a player in whom so many knowledgeable people saw great promise could be so disappoiting as a professional. Perhaps people were wowed by his technical skills and hoped that maturity and experience would yield a complete player with tactical and defensive smarts. That obviously didn’t happen, but why? Was he always just a hopelessly one-dimensional and limited talent? Or had be already been “developing” for longer than people thought, and had already done all the developing he was ever going to do? He either has the best agent in the world (for getting him so many contracts) or the worst agent in the world (for failing to find the right spot for him after so many tries).

• When he was supposedly 14, he didn’t look 14. He thrived in a few youth tournaments, and even showed flashes in senior play, for a while. But the whole time people were evaluating him not by what he could do but what could be expected when he grew up. What he could do was impressive, in terms of general soccer abilities. I mean, I think its safe to say his dribbling skills are probably beyond those of anyone posting here. But he was never elite among adult professionals, and everyone gave him a pass because he supposedly wasn’t one yet.

What if he was? What if he was really 19 when he first signed with DC United, and is actually over 30 now? He hasn’t grown much since he was supposedly 14 – he hasn’t gained any speed or added too much muscle mass – and being over 30 now would explain some difficulties with getting back in shape, etc. If a young man can’t go 90 minutes (or 45), it’s chalked up to fitness. When the same thing happens to an old man, it’s chalked up to age.

• The reasonable explanation, independent of age, is that senior level play requires work ethic, team defensive effort, and something more than occasionally hitting a nice deadball or “Coca Cola pass” (does nothing for a while, makes a nice pass, then watches the play go ahead while he drinks a Coke). He lacks 90 minute effort and at adult level you will get burned with a player that uninvolved in the general flow of play. It doesn’t even out with the occasional burst of quality. You get to stand around only if you are Pirlo or Valderrama.

Also, he’s small, not fast, no ups, he lacks unusual physical qualities to create separation and tactical usefulness. You can’t whack him balls for headers. He’s not fast enough for wing. He doesn’t work hard enough on defense to play DM. And his playmaking is sporadic enough, that it’s not worth using him as a 10. So what’s the point. There are people like Oduro who stay employed because despite flawed technical games, they have physical qualities that set them apart. Adu is probably slower than you or I.

• This is the explanation.. To be a pro you have to work hard and get stuck in. An opponents sheer desire, effort and athleticism will equalize a lot.

At the end of the day he’s a champagne luxury player, who isn’t good enough or in shape enough to build a team around.. and certainly not versatile enough to morph into another position.

• Just because some on e is a good player at the youth level doesn’t mean he is going to be a star player. Some players mature faster a a player and then plateau out(Adu), others were never a star youth then somehow figure it out as a player and become very good(see Bradley).

I don’t think Adu was ever a great youth player. He is what he was then. A player that shows flashes of good thing that teases what he could be but never will. Confused? Good because that is the correct feeling when talking about Adu.

• I don’t know if there’s any truth to the age conspiracy theories. But something to consider that has never really been addressed when it comes to his age is that if he was really overage, wouldn’t the USSF get in hot water with FIFA for fielding an overage player for multiple youth tournaments? If FIFA ever wants some revenge on the US for the whole FBI investigation then investigating Adu’s age would be in their interest.

• Not if his birth certificate says he is the younger age. That’s the thing. I don’t think he came from Ghana with a birth certificate, and then once he was here, it was up to his parents (or mother only, I seem to remember) to provide the correct date of birth.

I’m not saying the parents were thinking at all about future soccer prospects, but they might have been trying to ensure he did alright in school. The adoption industry, from what I’ve heard from one pastor, frequently creates inaccurate birth certificates for African adoptees, to place them in second or third grade (the level at which it is assumed they can catch up academically). If Freddy’s parents took advice from any of these people, they might say he was, oh, about 8 years old when they arrived from Ghana.

Of course the downside of this is when the child shows some athletic ability, and eventually wants to compete in youth games.

• Yeah the whole age thing is rather interesting and puts into perspective Africa’s success at the youth level as well, which makes one wonder how many of those teams are fielding older players, not through malfeasance but through poor record keeping. I had friends from Nigeria and Kenya years ago tell me that age just isn’t that important to many African countries and the record keeping of it is quite lax in most places. I remember a friend of mine once told me his dad had a vague idea of how old he was, but wouldn’t be able for certain to tell you what his exact age is.

• malfeasance – sounds like it’s your first year of law school.

I think the age thing is overblown Obafemi Martins is 147 years old he’s still playing at a pretty good level. When Adu was 14 he possibly could have been 17, he was extremely small and slight and looked 14. If there was any age disparity it wasn’t much he grew and matured when normal kids do.

25. Well if the age conspiracies are accurate then it might make sense that his metabolism is catching up to him. Everything I’ve heard about what’s happening with him in Finland had to do with him being severely out of shape. I really don’t buy into any of that stuff though I think he’s just really poor in training and simply doesn’t give a f*** anymore

26. If it wasn’t for his great 2011 Gold Cup play as was mentioned before, I would say wtf. He’s got the skills but maybe he’s just unable to adjust to the reality of not being the golden one anymore.

27. The Adu world tour continues. He hasn’t been to the Far East yet. Maybe he can find a club in China or Malaysia or some place that’s desperate enough to give him a chance. Australia and Japan are too good for him, but maybe some of the lesser leagues.

• Nguyen is Vietnamese-American. Adu wouldn’t have the same impact. Maybe a stint in the First Capital Plus Premier League would do him some good?

28. If he didn’t show flashes of being a special player at the Gold Cup in 2011 this would be much easier to take in. It’s clear his options are drying up. I wanted to believe he ran into a run of bad luck but it’s pretty evident that this is all self-inflicted. Maybe he can still make a living playing beach soccer or futsal in Brazil. He can always make a living becoming a club promoter as soon as he wears out his welcome there.

• He’s always shown flashes, but you can’t hold down a steady job if your brilliant moves aren’t consistent.

29. I have a friend that plays in Finland… he says “it is a whole nother world” when it comes to adjusting socially… Finish people are very weird according to him…

I find it unbelieveable that Adu, who looked so so good in the Gold Cup in 2011 can’t find a place to just play…

I almost feel like we are getting trolled so hard by Freddy some times..

• Oh I don’t want to make generaliztions because in my line of work I deal with Finland colleagues all the time… he just said they are weird people, a little somber unless party drunks. The language is very tough and anything outside of June, July and August is pretty miserable and dark.

Not exactly Monaco or Portugal…

• I just talked to my Finnish buddy. He said Adu was out of shape to play in a league match. That is the reason they sent him to the 4th division.

To give you an idea about the 4th Division. My buddy played in the 4th Division when he was 49.

His other comment was both parties were expecting more from the other. Adu was expecting star treatment and the Kups Manager was expecting Adu to be a star. He was out of shape to make any significant contribution.

30. “I have decided to exercise my option in my contract to leave KuPS this summer to pursue other opportunities”
    Sure you have.

31. A quote from the Disney movie Aladdin comes to mind… Iago says, “Why am I not surprised?! I think I’ll have a heart attack and die from NOT SURPRISE.”

• If they’re willing to sign Steve Nash then I bet Adu’s phone is already ringing. And who knows, maybe he turns it around like Szetela

32. Cue the Adu apologists and and blind faithful for this pathetic player. Yes, I said it…PATHETIC!!

Ives, how about never writing another article about him again? Stick a fork in him already

• Is there really such a thing as an Adu apologist? I guess people still defend Michael Jackson as a good dude rather than a child molester, so different strokes for different folks, I guess.

• He is not a pathetic player, but it is a pathetic, even gruesome, situation that he is in and I am sorry for him. No apologist here; just a soccer fan who recognizes that someone with undoubted talent has gone missing. Sad. The US needs players such as Freddy was projected to be.

• I doubt his talent. Very few flashes of skill and even fewer glimpses of success. He was never a 14 year old phenom. He was a 21 year old mediocre “player” that the hype machine made rich and famous.

33. My buddy apparently lived down the street from this guy in DC growing up when he was with United. He has no soccer knowledge whatsoever but told me that there was no way that he was 14 years old at the time. Conjecture but maybe something to it.

34. Ives,

Any insight into what is going on with Adu? It’s honestly pretty sad considering how is career started. Unrealistic expectations sure but you would have thought he would have caught on somewhere.

35. My word this guy has an amazing agent if he’s still somehow finding Adu gigs.

When you haven’t panned out – anywhere! – after as many stops as he’s made, it’s probably time to admit there are some issues with professionality in your game.

Actually thought he had some moments for the Philadelphia Union. He played this one half of soccer for them that was impressive as I’ve ever seen from any player in MLS…of course, he bookended it with two yellow cards and ended up getting sent off for diving just before halftime, whereupon he went absolutely ape. I thought they were going to have to taser him to get him off the sideline.

Eight clubs since 2008. I’ll just shake my head here.

• I remember that game. And yes, it was his best game, as he was having a positive impact. The 2nd yellow card was bunk. The weird thing was he never really recovered from it.

• Yeah, that is exactly what happened.

But, I remember that his play up to the 2nd yellow was great. It was like one of his best MLS games.

Then, bam! It all crashed down after that. (Rose colored glasses? )

• DUDE! That 2nd Yellow was BS! Dax stuck his leg in there then pulled back before kicking Adu as a result of Dax making his aggressive move Freddy lifted his foot as to not take a whack with his foot planted in the ground.

NO WAY THAT IS A DIVE!

36. Unreal.. what the heck is going on with this dude??

Time to give NASL a chance to maybe finally get his career back on track.

• NASL might be a stretch at this point. This Finnish league seems to be pretty weak, and to get sent down to a reserve team from there… I don’t know.

• Maybe, Jordy. I just hope any NASL team fully realizes what they would be getting – a player who seemingly can’t play an entire half anymore, and who was sent to reserve in a league where even the first teams have ‘stadiums’ that are basically like our high school fields.

• Apparently he’s been linked to the Rowdies, which makes sense because Rongen was his coach for the U-20’s when the hype train was at full speed. An intriguing move, the Rowdies have a lot going for them.

• Pretty obvious he just doesn’t care to work that hard. The talent was obviously there, but when you bounce club to clucb this much, it’s obviously a player problem.