USMNT 2, Honduras 1: Match Highlights

Comments

1. I agree with the dos a cero chants. PLEASE only use this vs Mexico. Also, for any of you superstitious types, once that chant started, Honduras scored, so there’s that too.

2. IMHO, chanting “dos a cero” to anyone except Mexico is just plain stupid… Those nitwits in Frisco chanting Dos a cero v Honduras just really pissed me off… Thoughts?

• you’re correct that it doesn’t make sense to chant that against anyone besides Mexico but it’s not something to get pissed off about. it makes the fans chanting it look silly but thats about it.

3. Can someone explain why Jozy wasn’t off sides when he came back in play from beyond the end line on the first goal. I’m not saying he should have been called off, I’m just curious about the rule there. I’ve never seen that before.

• He was onside when Bradley played in the cross. I believe the next touch was from the defender – which wouldn’t count towards off sides.

I could be wrong. Never really played. Learned the game from ESPN and XBOX. Now I just yell at the refs from the sidelines while watching U10s.

• then Xbox has taught you well, lol. you are correct in your explanation.

4. An interesting Honduras side with Jorge Luis Pinto in charge for only 6 months now. How long has Jk been at the helm now? Like 6 years? Wow

• Col. Townsend Whelen, a noted rifleman, once said something to the effect that “the only interesting rifle was an accurate one”.

Honduras lost.

They are interesting but unless they actually win something or qualify for the World Cup and do well there, they won’t be interesting for long.

• A couple things. First is Pinto. He had Honduras playing a more disciplined, more varied offense than they showed in the World Cup. Mario Martinez has grown by leaps and bounds as a creative player since I saw him with the Sounders, and he is starting the attack from multiple positions on the field, whioch he wasn’t doing before. He always has had a terrific left foot, and I look forward to watching him refine his game even more under Pinto.

Second, about half the starting lineup from the World Cup team was absent from the Gold Cup opener, and before the game, I was wondering why. No Bernardez. No Izaguirre. No Espinoza. No Bengtson. Valladares and Boniek Garcia didn’t play.

I wondered what he was up to till I watched them play. They are a much better team than they have been, and people should keep an eye on this kid Anthony Lozano, a dangerous attacker.

They’ll do well, all right. They’ll be interesting also. I know I’ll enjoy watching them.

5. on the HON goal, i think MB had the best view of the build up and should have followed the eventual goal scorer on his run , if only just to buy time for Alvarado to get a good tackle in. as it happened, Alvarado went for an awkward half challenge (perhaps not wanting to foul) and got beat. personally i would have preferred a “professional tackle” right there on the edge of the box to prevent the easy opportunity.

• I’m not one to bench anyone over a single mistake… but what the heck was he thinking with that tackle attempt on the goal? Seriously, that’s the kind of habit youth coaches try to fix at around the U12 level. Go with the attacker or, preferably with cover, commit when you know you can get something on the ball.

Amazingly, the statue defense doesn’t work any better against adult attackers than it does against U12 attackers. Who’d a thunk it.

• what’s worse, your overstated (on different threads here) pun or the fact you use the term “booboo”?

6. Klinsmann has stressed several times that they knew what to expect from Guatemala. So why start two wingers who 1) have little defensive ability and 2) are both playing out of position? With Bedoya on the bench? Come on.

• Zardes works very hard on defense ( or he would not be playing for JK) and Yedlin is actually a right back, admittedly not the greatest defensively, but still he at least has some modicum of defensive understanding.

Besides the best defense is a good offense and with those two the US can at least attempt to keep the ball in Honduras’ half for most of the game.

7. I love the General, but I find it interesting that our left back has no difficulty playing the kind of killer through ball on the run that MB can’t seem to figure out. FJ for #10?

• I admit that Bradley’s passing has been strangely shaky in the past two games, but I guess we quickly forget the full field run and awesome pass to Jordan Morris that set up the winner against Holland. And to answer your question: no.

• +1

imho u take your general’s mishaps with a grain of salt because you know the good he can do outweighs the mistakes. Pirlo makes bad passes (albeit less often than MB but the sentiment stands)

8. The commentator with the fake English accent nails the takeaway from this game. “Not the best of defending by the United States back four.”

9. I’m happy we won but I’m upset with how close the game was. I feel that at this point the USMNT has to be convincingly winning games against teams like Honduras. Stoked about the victory, but hate that we gave up so many chances.

• A full strength Brasil side beat them 1-0 a few weeks ago, Brasil is sucking right now, but still a good team, no shame in a tight win

• Great reminder! Concacaf is no longer the backwater of weak teams. Costa Rica did well at the 2014 WC. Jamaica acquitted itself well in the Copa America. Mexico is always competitive despite its up and downs! Despite the optimism winning the Gold Cup will be a battle and wins shouldn’t be downplayed or discounted.

• Did we learn nothing from the WWC? It’s not how you start the tournament, it’s how you finish. Pick up 3 points, move on.

• for real, we beat the toughest team in our group 2-1 and people are vastly upset? wow

• Teams like Honduras? They’re a World Cup side, and have been for a while. Granted, firmly rooted in the second 16 right now, but still.