Danny Williams may not have been called into the U.S. Men’s National Team’s most recent camp, but he helped his cause for inclusion the next time around on Saturday.
Williams scored a well-placed winner in Reading’s 2-1 victory over Bolton Wanderers on Saturday with his third goal of the season. The veteran midfielder found the back of the net in the 34th minute when he took advantage of the space in front of him on the dribble and unleashed a pinpoint low shot from outside the penalty area that nestled into the bottom-right corner. The goal kept Williams and the Royals within striking distance of the final promotion playoff spot in the English Championship, as they are just one point behind sixth-placed Birmingham City.
Saturday also marked the competitive return of centerback Ventura Alvarado, who broke a spell of inactivity that stretched back to Sept. 13. Alvarado came off the bench to help Club America grab a point in a 1-1 draw vs. Pumas UNAM, playing the final eight minutes of their season finale. Club America finished the Liga MX Apertura campaign in sixth place, and will face No. 3 seed Club Leon in the first round of the postseason.
A pair of German-based players had noteworthy outings as well. Alfredo Morales and Shawn Barry each recorded an assist for their respective clubs on Sunday, with Morales setting up the final goal in a 3-1 win over SV Darmstadt 98 and Barry delivering the helper on the opener in FSV Frankfurt’s 1-1 draw with Kaiserslautern.
Here is how the Americans Abroad fared this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes, and made three saves in Everton’s 4-0 win vs. Aston Villa on Saturday.
- Brad Guzan started, played 90 minutes, and made five saves in Aston Villa’s 4-0 loss vs. Everton on Saturday.
- Geoff Cameron came off the bench and played 19 minutes in Stoke City’s 1-0 win vs. Southampton on Saturday.
- DeAndre Yedlin and Sunderland play Crystal Palace on Monday.
- Lynden Gooch and Sunderland play Crystal Palace on Monday.
- Jonathan Spector started and played 90 minutes in Birmingham City’s 1-0 loss vs. Charlton Athletic on Saturday.
- Eric Lichaj started and played 90 minutes in Nottingham Forest’s 2-1 loss vs. Brentford on Saturday.
- Danny Williams started, played 90 minutes, and scored a GOAL in Reading’s 2-1 win vs. Bolton Wanderers on Saturday. You can see the goal here.
- Andrija Novakovich did not dress for Reading.
- Tim Ream did not dress in Fulham’s 1-1 draw vs. Milton Keynes Dons on Saturday.
- Emerson Hyndman did not dress for Fulham.
- Cody Cropper dressed but did not play in Milton Keynes Dons’ 1-1 draw vs. Fulham on Saturday.
- Gedion Zelalem started and played 90 minutes in Rangers’ 1-1 draw vs. Livingston on Saturday.
- John Brooks started and played 90 minutes in Hertha Berlin’s 1-0 win vs. TSG 1899 Hoffenheim on Sunday.
- Fabian Johnson started and played 90 minutes in Borussia Moenchengladbach’s 2-1 win vs. Hannover 96 on Saturday.
- Timmy Chandler came off the bench and played 68 minutes in Eintracht Frankfurt’s 3-1 loss vs. Bayer Leverkusen on Saturday.
- Aron Johannsson did not dress in Werder Bremen’s 6-0 loss vs. VfL Wolfsburg on Sunday. He is recovering from a hip injury.
- Alfredo Morales started, played 90 minutes, and had an ASSIST in FC Ingolstadt 04’s 3-1 win vs. SV Darmstadt 98 on Sunday.
- Terrence Boyd did not dress in RB Leipzig’s 1-0 win vs. Arminia Bielefeld on Saturday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Bobby Wood started and played 90 minutes in FC Union Berlin’s 1-1 draw vs. VfL Bochum on Friday.
- Andrew Wooten started and played 90 minutes in SV Sandhausen’s 3-1 win vs. Karlsruhe on Friday.
- Caleb Stanko came off the bench and played 11 minutes in SC Freiburg’s 4-1 win vs. SC Paderborn 07 on Sunday.
- Shawn Barry started, played 68 minutes, and had an ASSIST in FSV Frankfurt’s 1-1 draw vs. Kaiserslautern on Sunday.
- Alejandro Bedoya came off the bench and played 10 minutes in FC Nantes’ 1-0 loss vs. AS Monaco on Saturday.
- Rubio Rubin did not dress in FC Utrecht’s 1-0 loss vs. NEC Nijmegen on Sunday. He is recovering from an injury.
- Desevio Payne dressed but did not play in FC Groningen’s 2-1 win vs. De Graafschap on Sunday.
- Alejandro Guido started and played 90 minutes in Club Tijuana’s 2-0 win vs. Atlas on Friday.
- Paul Arriola came off the bench and played 24 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- Michael Orozco came off the bench and played 10 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- Joe Corona did not dress in in Veracruz’s 2-1 win vs. Morelia on Saturday.
- Greg Garza did not dress in Atlas’ 2-0 loss vs. Club Tijuana on Friday. He is recovering from an injury.
- Jose Torres dressed but did not play in Tigres UANL’s 0-0 draw vs. Cruz Azul on Saturday.
- Edgar Castillo did not dress in Monterrey’s 3-1 loss vs. Toluca on Sunday.
- Ventura Alvarado came off the bench and played eight minutes in Club America’s 1-1 draw vs. Pumas UNAM on Saturday.
- Jonathan Bornstein started and played 76 minutes in in Queretaro’s 0-0 draw vs. Puebla on Friday.
- Gabriel Farfan did not dress in Jaguares de Chiapas’ 3-2 win vs. Pachuca on Saturday.
- William Yarbrough started, played 90 minutes, and made three saves in Club Leon’s 3-0 win vs. Dorados de Sinaloa on Saturday.
- Miguel Ibarra dressed but did not play for Club Leon.
What do you think of these performances? Impressed with Williams’ finish? Do you see Alvarado earning more minutes in the Liga MX playoffs?
Share your thoughts below.