A handful of surprise teams reached the NCAA Tournament quarterfinals on Sunday, and no result was more shocking than No. 3 seed Georgetown falling to unseeded Boston College.
Among those that reached the next stage of the competition were No. 1 overall seed Wake Forest, No. 2 Clemson and No. 4 Akron. No. 10 Maryland and No. 12 Creighton were the other two lower seeds to eliminate higher seeds, as they defeated Notre Dame and North Carolina, respectively.
The Hoyas came into Sunday’s affair as arguably the hottest team in the nation, having won 14 consecutive games. The home side was held to a 1-1 tie, which extended the team’s unbeaten streak to 18 games.
The Eagles eventually advanced in penalty kicks after converting all five penalty attempts, one more than the Hoyas, to become the only unseeded team to reach the quarterfinals.
U.S. Men’s National Team forward Jordan Morris turned in arguably the best individual performance of the round, scoring a brace — his 9th and 10th goals of the season — en route to leading No. 8 Stanford to a 3-1 win over Ohio State. Corey Baird scored the Cardinal’s other goal.
Here are the results from this weekend’s NCAA Round of 16 action, along with the quarterfinal matchups:
ROUND OF 16
- Wake Forest 1, Indiana 0. (RECAP)
- Clemson 3, UCSB 2. (RECAP)
- Georgetown 1, Boston College 1. (BC wins, 5-4, in PKs) (RECAP)
- Akron 2, SMU 1. (RECAP)
- North Carolina 0, Creighton 1. (RECAP)
- Syracuse 3, Seattle U. 1. (RECAP)
- Notre Dame 1, Maryland 2. (RECAP)
- Stanford 3, Ohio State 1. (RECAP)
QUARTERFINALS (Home team listed first)
- (1) Wake Forest vs. (8) Stanford (TBA, Saturday)
- (6) Syracuse vs. Boston College (2 p.m., Saturday)
- (4) Akron vs. (12) Creighton (4 p.m., Saturday)
- (2) Clemson vs. (10) Maryland (7 p.m., Friday)
What did you think of this weekend’s results? Shocked to see Georgetown eliminated? Who do you consider the favorite to win it all now?
Share your thoughts below.