A couple of U.S. internationals made their mark over the weekend in the German Bundesliga, but in an English Championship battle pitting Americans against one another, Eric Lichaj proved to be a difference-maker.
Lichaj’s Nottingham Forest took on Tim Ream’s and Emerson Hyndman’s Fulham on Saturday, but it was the former who had the last laugh, assisting the game-winning goal in a 3-0 rout.
The 27-year-old’s assist was one for the highlight reels as well. After the ball was headed away from danger after a Nottingham Forest corner kick, Lichaj sent the ball to the back post with a bicycle kick and teammate Matt Mills rose high to head it in.
Meanwhile, will Fabian Johnson’s incredible run of form ever end? On Saturday, the U.S. Men’s National Team fullback and winger found himself one-on-one with Bayern Munich netminder Manuel Neuer. Johnson made no mistake, scoring the third goal in Borussia Moenchengladbach’s 3-1 win vs. the German Bundesliga leader.
Johnson has scored four goals in three games across all competitions for Monchengladbach. He now six goals overall this campaign.
In another Bundesliga battle, centerback John Brooks scored the game-winning goal for Hertha Berlin. From a corner kick, the U.S. defender rose highest at the near post late into his side’s match against Bayer Leverkusen and powered a header into the back of the net for the 2-1 win.
Here is how the Americans Abroad performed this weekend:
- Geoff Cameron started and played 90 minutes in Stoke City’s 2-0 win vs. Manchester City on Saturday.
- Brad Guzan started, played 90 minutes and made three saves in Aston Villa’s 1-1 tie vs. Southampton on Saturday.
- Lynden Gooch did not dress in Sunderland’s 3-1 loss vs. Arsenal on Saturday.
- DeAndre Yedlin started, played 90 minutes and received a YELLOW CARD in Sunderland’s 3-1 loss vs. Arsenal on Saturday.
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made four saves in Everton’s 1-1 tie vs. Crystal Palace on Monday.
- Eric Lichaj started, played 90 minutes and had a game-winning ASSIST in Nottingham Forest’s 3-0 win vs. Fulham on Saturday.
- Jonathan Spector started and played 90 minutes in Birmingham City’s 2-0 loss vs. Huddersfield Town on Saturday.
- Cody Cropper dressed but did not play in Milton Keynes Dons’ 2-0 loss vs. Brentford on Saturday.
- Tim Ream started and played 90 minutes in Fulham’s 3-0 loss vs. Nottingham Forest on Saturday.
- Emerson Hyndman came off the bench and played 19 minutes in Fulham’s 3-0 loss to Nottingham Forest on Saturday.
- Gedion Zelalem did not play. Rangers vs. Raith Rovers was postponed.
- Fabian Johnson started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL in Borussia Moenchengladbach’s 3-1 win vs. Bayern Munich on Saturday.
- John Brooks started, played 90 minutes and scored the game-winning GOAL in Hertha Berlin’s 2-1 win vs. Bayer Leverkusen on Saturday.
- Aron Johannsson did not dress in Werder Bremen’s 1-1 tie vs. VfB Stuttgart on Sunday. Johannsson is out injured.
- Alfredo Morales started and played 89 minutes in FC Ingolstadt 04’s 1-1 tie vs. TSG 1899 Hoffenheim on Saturday.
- Timmy Chandler did not dress in Eintracht Frankfurt’s 1-0 loss vs. SV Darmstadt 98 on Sunday.
- Andrew Wooten started and played 90 minutes in SV Sandhausen’s 1-1 tie vs. SpVgg Greuther Furth on Friday.
- Terrence Boyd did not dress in RB Leipzig’s 4-2 win vs. MSV Duisburg on Sunday. Boyd is out injured.
- Caleb Stanko dressed but did not play in SC Freiburg’s 3-0 win vs. FC Union Berlin on Saturday.
- Bobby Wood started and played 90 minutes in FC Union Berlin’s 3-0 loss vs. FC Freiburg on Saturday.
- Shawn Barry and FSV Frankfurt play TSV 1860 Munich on Friday.
- Alejandro Bedoya did not dress in FC Nantes’ 1-1 tie vs. GFC Ajaccio on Saturday. He sat out due to suspension.
- Desevio Payne dressed but did not play in FC Groningen’s 0-0 tie vs. Roda JC Kerkrade on Sunday.
- Rubio Rubin did not dress in FC Utrecht’s 1-0 win vs. De Graafschap on Saturday. He is out injured.
- Ventura Alvarado started, played 90 minutes and received a YELLOW CARD in Club America’s 3-1 win vs. Pumas UNAM during the semifinals of the Liga MX Apertura Liguilla on Sunday.
- Jose Torres dressed but did not play in Tigres UANL’s 2-0 win vs. Toluca during the semifinals of the Liga MX Apertura Liguilla on Sunday.
What do you think of these performances? When will Fabian Johnson’s hot streak ever come to an end? Will Jose Torres and Tigres UANL win the Apertura Liguilla?
Share your thoughts below.