Danny Williams had quite a day on Sunday. He not only set a new career high for goals in a season, but did so in jaw-dropping fashion.
Williams pushed Reading past Blackburn Rovers, 1-0, with a stunning half-volley that will be added to his career highlight reel. The U.S. Men’s National Team midfielder netted for the fourth time this season when he raced onto a bouncing pass just outside of the right part of the penalty area in the 11th minute, and unleashed a ferocious effort that soared over Blackburn goalkeeper Jason Steele and inside the far post. The goal saw Williams surpass his previous season-high total for goals scored, which he set during the 2013-14 campaign, and is his second since Nov. 21.
Another American to make an impact for his club was Shawn Barry. FSV Frankfurt suffered a 2-1 loss to Arminia Bielefeld on Friday, but Barry set up the game’s opener five minutes before halftime. Barry was deployed on the right side of the midfield in the 2. Bundesliga match, but was removed after 83 minutes as Frankfurt searched for an equalizer that never came.
One other positive development came in Fulham’s English Championship showdown with Bolton. Tim Ream got the usual start for the Cottagers, but so too did young midfielder Emerson Hyndman. For the first time this season and since Dec. 13, 2014, Hyndman started and went the distance. He was unable to help his side pick up a win, however, as Fulham settled for a 2-2 draw on the road.
Here is how the Americans Abroad performed this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes, and made two saves in Everton’s 3-2 loss vs. Leicester City on Saturday.
- Brad Guzan started, played 90 minutes, and made three saves in Aston Villa’s 1-1 draw vs. Newcastle United on Saturday.
- Geoff Cameron did not dress in Stoke City’s 2-1 loss vs. Crystal Palace on Saturday.
- DeAndre Yedlin dressed but did not play in Sunderland’s 3-1 loss vs. Chelsea on Saturday.
- Lynden Gooch did not dress for Sunderland.
- Jonathan Spector started, played 90 minutes, and received a yellow card in Birmingham City’s 1-0 win vs. Cardiff City on Friday.
- Eric Lichaj started, played 90 minutes, and received a yellow card in Nottingham Forest’s 2-1 win vs. Milton Keynes Dons on Saturday.
- Danny Williams started, played 90 minutes, and scored a GOAL in Reading’s 1-0 win vs. Blackburn Rovers on Sunday.
Oh, Danny Danny… https://t.co/NHMbdjuf0l
— Reading FC (@ReadingFC) December 21, 2015
- Tim Ream started and played 90 minutes in Fulham’s 2-2 draw vs. Bolton Wanderers on Saturday.
- Emerson Hyndman started and played 90 minutes for Fulham.
- Cody Cropper dressed but did not play in Milton Keynes Dons’ 2-1 loss vs. Nottingham Forest on Saturday.
- Gedion Zelalem did not dress in Rangers’ 2-1 loss vs. Falkirk on Saturday.
- John Brooks started and played 90 minutes in Hertha Berlin’s 2-0 win vs. Mainz 05 on Sunday.
- Fabian Johnson started and played 90 minutes in Borussia Moenchengladbach’s 3-2 win vs. SV Darmstadt 98 on Sunday.
- Timmy Chandler dressed but did not play in Eintracht Frankfurt’s 2-1 win vs. Werder Bremen on Saturday.
- Aron Johannsson did not dress in Werder Bremen’s 2-1 loss vs. Eintracht Frankfurt on Saturday. He is recovering from a hip injury.
- Alfredo Morales started and played 90 minutes in FC Ingolstadt 04’s 1-0 loss vs. Bayer Leverkusen on Saturday.
- Terrence Boyd did not dress in RB Leipzig’s 2-1 win vs. SpVgg Greuther Furth on Saturday.
- Bobby Wood started and played 90 minutes in FC Union Berlin’s 1-0 win vs. SV Sandhausen on Friday.
- Andrew Wooten started and played 62 minutes in SV Sandhausen’s 1-0 loss vs. FC Union Berlin on Friday.
- Caleb Stanko came off the bench and played one minute in SC Freiburg’s 3-0 win vs. TSV 1860 Munich on Sunday.
- Shawn Barry started, played 83 minutes, and had an ASSIST in FSV Frankfurt’s 2-1 loss vs. Arminia Bielefeld on Friday.
- Alejandro Bedoya started and played 90 minutes in FC Nantes’ 0-0 draw vs. Lorient on Saturday.
- Rubio Rubin did not dress in FC Utrecht’s 2-2 draw vs. AZ Alkmaar on Saturday. He is recovering from an injury.
- Desevio Payne dressed but did not play in FC Groningen’s 2-1 loss vs. SC Heracles Almelo on Saturday.
What do you think of these performances? How impressive is Williams’ goal and would you like to see him get more offensive responsibilities with the USMNT? Is Hyndman going to start seeing more time now?
Share your thoughts below.