One of the men largely responsible for shaping Orlando City’s MLS roster will not be back in 2016.
General manager Paul McDonough and Orlando City have mutually agreed to part ways, the club announced on Wednesday. McDonough is leaving to pursue other opportunities, but will only do so after first helping the club with the 2015 Re-Entry Draft and other played-related activities.
“I am sorry to see Paul leave us but fully understand his wishes to further his career within the game,” said Orlando City president Phil Rawlins in a statement. “Paul has been with us for two years and has done a great job in helping the club build a very competitive MLS roster in our first year. I want to take this opportunity to thank him for all of his hard work on our behalf, and to wish Paul well with his future career endeavors.”
McDonough’s departure comes shortly after the introduction of Armando Carneiro, who was hired last month as the chief soccer officer for Orlando City. Carneiro and the technical staff will assume all of McDonough’s responsibilities.
“We are confident we have the proper technical team in place under Armando’s direction and expertise,” said Rawlins, “and we look forward to a successful 2016 season across all three teams – Orlando City, Orlando Pride and Orlando City B.”
With McDonough helping lead the front-office charge, Orlando City finished in seventh place in the Eastern Conference in its inaugural MLS campaign. The club had a 12-14-8 record.
What do you think about McDonough’s departure from Orlando City? Surprised to see him go or was he always a goner after the arrival of Carneiro? How will the club fare without McDonough next season?
Share your thoughts below.