A goal, an own goal, debuts and the return of a top league. This weekend seemed to have it all.
The most notable performance, however, may have come from William Yarbrough.
Yarbrough helped Club Leon stay perfect and atop the Liga MX table on Saturday, as he recorded six saves in a narrow 3-2 win at home over Cruz Azul. The 26-year-old goalkeeper conceded a goal in the early going of the match, but put that behind him as his side mounted a second-half comeback. Yarbrough’s performance is sure to grab U.S. Men’s National Team head coach Jurgen Klinsmann’s attention, especially in the wake of the news that Bill Hamid will be out four to six months because of injury.
Alejandro Bedoya nearly helped his club pick up a victory on Saturday, but Nantes allowed a healthy lead to slip away late and had to settle for just a point. Bedoya scored for the second time in four days, as he headed home a cross at the half-hour mark against Bordeaux to put Nantes up, 2-0, at home. The U.S. Men’s National Team midfielder and Nantes ultimately failed to close out the game, though, as they conceded twice in the final six minutes.
Other notable outings came from Luis Gil and Lynden Gooch, both of whom made debuts for their new sides. Gil played from whistle to whistle in Queretaro’s 3-0 triumph over Dorados de Sinaloa on Friday, and Gooch got his short loan spell at Doncaster Rovers started with a 90-minute shift in a scoreless draw with Fleetwood Town on Saturday.
It was not all good news. Ventura Alvarado began Club America’s home humiliation at Estadio Azteca on Saturday, as he scored an unlucky own goal in a 4-1 loss to Omar Gonzalez and Pachuca. Alvarado accidentally netted in the 19th minute when a corner kick that was headed wide of goal ricocheted off his leg. Both Alvarado and Gonzalez went the distance for their respective outfits.
Here are how the Americans Abroad did this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes, and made three saves in Everton’s 2-1 loss vs. Swansea City on Sunday.
- Brad Guzan dressed but did not play in Aston Villa’s 0-0 draw vs. West Bromwich Albion on Saturday.
- Geoff Cameron did not dress in Stoke City’s 3-0 loss vs. Leicester City on Saturday. He is recovering from an ankle injury.
- DeAndre Yedlin dressed but did not play in Sunderland’s 1-1 draw vs. AFC Bournemouth on Saturday.
- Jonathan Spector dressed but did not play in Birmingham City’s 3-0 win vs. Ipswich Town on Saturday.
- Eric Lichaj started, played 90 minutes, and received a yellow card in Nottingham Forest’s 1-0 win vs. Middlesbrough on Saturday.
- Danny Williams started and played 90 minutes in Reading’s 1-1 draw vs. Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday.
- Tim Ream started and played 90 minutes in Fulham’s 1-0 loss vs. Hull City on Saturday.
- Emerson Hyndman came off the bench and played 13 minutes for Fulham.
- Cody Cropper dressed but did not play in Milton Keynes Dons’ 3-1 loss vs. Bolton Wanderers on Saturday.
- Duane Holmes dressed but did not play in Huddersfield Town’s 2-1 loss vs. Brighton & Hove Albion on Saturday.
- Lynden Gooch started, played 90 minutes, and received a yellow card in Doncaster Rovers’ 0-0 draw vs. Fleetwood Town on Saturday.
- Gedion Zelalem and Rangers play Greenock Morton on Monday.
- Fabian Johnson started and played 90 minutes in Borussia Moenchengladbach’s 3-1 loss vs. Borussia Dortmund on Saturday.
- Timmy Chandler did not dress in Eintracht Frankfurt’s 3-2 win vs. VfL Wolfsburg on Sunday.
- John Brooks started and played 90 minutes in Hertha Berlin’s 0-0 draw vs. FC Augsburg on Saturday.
- Alfredo Morales started, played 68 minutes, and received a yellow card in FC Ingolstadt 04’s 1-0 win vs. Mainz on Saturday.
- Aron Johannsson did not dress in Werder Bremen’s 3-1 win vs. Schalke 04 on Sunday. He is recovering from an injury.
- Christian Pulisic dressed but did not play in Borussia Dortmund’s 3-1 win vs. Borussia Moenchengladbach on Saturday.
- Alejandro Bedoya started, played 90 minutes, and scored a GOAL in FC Nantes’ 2-2 draw vs. Bordeaux on Saturday.
- Rubio Rubin did not dress in FC Utrecht’s 1-0 win vs. PEC Zwolle on Sunday.
- Desevio Payne came off the bench and played 45 minutes in FC Groningen’s 0-0 draw vs. NEC Nijmegen on Friday.
- Paul Arriola came off the bench and played 12 minutes in Club Tijuana’s 3-1 loss vs. Santos Laguna on Friday.
- Michael Orozco did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Greg Garza did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Alejandro Guido did not dress for Club Tijuana. He is recovering from an injury.
- Edgar Castillo came off the bench and played 10 minutes in Monterrey’s 1-0 win vs. Atlas on Saturday.
- Jose Torres dressed but did not play in Tigres UANL’s 2-2 draw vs. Chivas de Guadalajara on Sunday.
- Luis Silva did not dress for Tigres UANL.
- Joe Corona dressed but did not play in Dorados de Sinaloa’s 3-0 loss vs. Queretaro on Friday.
- Ventura Alvarado started, played 90 minutes, received a yellow card, and scored an OWN GOAL in Club America’s 4-1 loss vs. Pachuca on Saturday.
- Jonathan Bornstein started and played 90 minutes in Queretaro’s 3-0 win vs. Dorados de Sinaloa on Frida
- Luis Gil started and played 90 minutes for Queretaro.
- William Yarbrough started, played 90 minutes, and made six saves in Club Leon’s 3-2 win vs. Cruz Azul on Saturday.
- Miguel Ibarra did not dress for Club Leon.
- Omar Gonzalez started and played 90 minutes in Pachuca’s 4-1 win vs. Club America on Saturday.
- Jorge Villafana started and played 90 minutes in Santos Laguna’s 3-1 win vs. Club Tijuana on Friday.
- Gabriel Farfan did not dress in Jaguares de Chiapas’ 1-1 draw vs. Veracruz on Saturday.
What do you think of these performances? Think Yarbrough should be the No. 3 goalkeeper for the USMNT if he keeps up this level of play? Encouraged by Bedoya’s most recent outings?
Share your thoughts below.