Benny Feilhaber is coming off an MVP-caliber season in MLS, but has remained on the outside of the U.S. Men’s National Team picture, much to the consternation of some USMNT fans.
Based on his comments on Tuesday, it sounds like Feilhaber is done waiting for U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann to give him a call.
Feilhaber expressed his personal grievances against the U.S. boss, specifically in regards to Klinsmann’s player selections, during a scathing diatribe that saw Felhaber question Klinsmann’s personnel choices.
“I don’t think that Jurgen calls in the best players that are available to him,” Feilhaber told reporters on Tuesday at an MLS media event. “That, for me, is a problem. There’s players that are better than other players that don’t get an opportunity with the national team. That, for me, is a much bigger deal than anything else. Everybody points fingers at certain things but for me that’s the most important thing.”
Feilhaber pointed to several MLS standouts who have failed to earn call-ups, including fellow 2015 MLS Best XI selections Dax McCarty and Matt Hedges.
“That is my biggest problem with how Jurgen selects his players. It’s not based on on-field performance. I don’t know what it’s based on, but it’s not based on on-field performance.”
Feilhaber also made it clear that he has come to grips with the idea he has probably played his last match for the U.S., at least as long as Klinsmann is coach.
“I’ve accepted the fact that Jurgen’s not going to call me,” Feilhaber said. “If I played the year that I played this last year and I’m not getting the call, I’m not going to get an opportunity under Jurgen. That’s something I just have to accept.”
What do you think of Feilhaber’s comments? Does the midfielder have an argument?
Share your thoughts below.