Back on the scoresheet but not in the win column. That was Fabian Johnson’s Valentine’s Day.
Johnson ended a personal scoring drought that dated back to Dec. 5 and stretched over six games when he netted the opener in Borussia Moenchengladbach’s clash with Hamburg on Sunday. Johnson struck 14 minutes in, doing well to track a deflected cross at the back post and one-time it home. Unfortunately for the veteran midfielder and his club, his seventh goal across all competitions this season was not enough to help Moenchengladbach grab a result. Hamburg prevailed, 3-2, and Moenchengladbach slipped out of the German Bundesliga’s European picture.
Bobby Wood also found the back of the net on Sunday, tallying for the second straight game for FC Union Berlin. Wood capped off a lightning-quick counterattack against his former club, TSV 1860 Munich, in the 80th minute by racing onto a long pass and slotting a shot to the near post. The finish gave FC Union Berlin its first insurance goal en route to picking up a 3-0 win, and was Wood’s team-best ninth goal of the 2. Bundesliga campaign.
Alejandro Bedoya was not the author of one his club’s two strikes on Saturday, but the red-hot midfielder did set up a teammate in FC Nantes’ latest win. Bedoya assisted on the 10th-minute opener in Nantes’ 2-1 triumph over Lorient, and it helped the Canaries extend their current undefeated streak to 15 matches across all competitions. Nantes is now just point off of Ligue 1’s lone UEFA Champions League qualifiers spot, which is currently held by St Etienne.
Here are how the Americans Abroad performed this weekend:
- Tim Howard dressed but did not play in Everton’s 1-0 loss vs. West Bromwich Albion on Saturday.
- Brad Guzan dressed but did not play in Aston Villa’s 6-0 loss vs. Liverpool on Sunday.
- Geoff Cameron did not dress in Stoke City’s 3-1 win vs. AFC Bournemouth on Saturday. He is recovering from an ankle injury.
- DeAndre Yedlin started, played 90 minutes, and received a yellow card in Sunderland’s 2-1 win vs. Manchester United on Saturday.
- Jonathan Spector dressed but did not play in Birmingham City’s 0-0 draw vs. Rotherham United on Saturday.
- Eric Lichaj started and played 90 minutes in Nottingham Forest’s 2-0 loss vs. Huddersfield Town on Saturday.
- Danny Williams did not dress in Reading’s 0-0 draw vs. Burnley on Saturday. He is recovering from a hamstring injury.
- Emerson Hyndman came off the bench and played six minutes in Fulham’s 3-1 win vs. Queens Park Rangers on Saturday.
- Tim Ream did not dress for Fulham.
- Cody Cropper dressed but did not play in Milton Keynes Dons’ 1-0 win vs. Derby County on Saturday.
- Duane Holmes did not dress in Huddersfield Town’s 2-0 win vs. Nottingham Forest on Saturday.
- Lynden Gooch started and played 63 minutes in Doncaster Rovers’s 1-0 loss vs. Sheffield United on Saturday.
- Gedion Zelalem dressed but did not play in Rangers’ 1-1 draw vs. Alloa Athletic on Saturday.
- Fabian Johnson started, played 90 minutes, and scored a GOAL in Borussia Moenchengladbach’s 3-2 loss vs. Hamburg SV on Sunday.
- Timmy Chandler did not dress in Eintracht Frankfurt’s 3-1 loss vs. FC Cologne on Saturday.
- John Brooks started, played 90 minutes, and received a yellow card in Hertha Berlin’s 2-0 loss vs. VfB Stuttgart on Saturday
- Alfredo Morales came off the bench and played nine minutes in FC Ingolstadt 04’s 2-0 loss vs. VfL Wolfsburg on Saturday.
- Aron Johannsson did not dress in Werder Bremen’s 1-1 draw vs. TSG 1899 Hoffenheim on Saturday.
- Christian Pulisic came off the bench and played 26 minutes in Borussia Dortmund’s 1-0 win vs. Hannover 96 on Saturday.
- Bobby Wood started, played 90 minutes, and scored a GOAL in FC Union Berlin’s 3-0 win vs. TSV 1860 Munich on Sunday.
- Andrew Wooten started and played 67 minutes in SV Sandhausen’s 1-1 draw vs. Heidenheimer SB on Saturday.
- Terrence Boyd did not dress in RB Leipzig’s 1-0 loss vs. St Pauli on Friday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Caleb Stanko came off the bench and played 16 minutes in SC Freiburg’s 2-1 loss vs. Fortuna Dusseldorf on Sunday.
- Shawn Berry dressed but did not play in FSV Frankfurt’s 2-1 loss vs. SpVgg Greuther Furth on Friday.
- Alejandro Bedoya started, played 90 minutes, and had an ASSIST in FC Nantes’ 2-1 win vs. Lorient on Saturday.
- Rubio Rubin did not dress in FC Utrecht’s 2-0 win vs. Cambuur Leeuwarden on Friday.
- Desevio Payne started, played 77 minutes, and received a yellow card in FC Groningen’s 2-1 loss vs. Ajax on Sunday.
- Paul Arriola came off the bench and played 10 minutes in Club Tijuana’s 2-1 win vs. Tigres UANL on Saturday.
- Michael Orozco dressed but did not play for Club Tijuana.
- Greg Garza did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Alejandro Guido did not dress for Club Tijuana. He is recovering from an injury.
- Edgar Castillo started and played 66 minutes in Monterrey’s 2-1 win vs. Santos Laguna on Friday.
- Jose Torres dressed but did not play in Tigres UANL’s 2-1 loss vs. Club Tijuana on Saturday.
- Joe Corona dressed but did not play in Dorados de Sinaloa’s 3-2 loss vs. Pumas UNAM on Saturday.
- Sonny Guadarrama did not dress for Dorados de Sinaloa.
- Ventura Alvarado did not dress in Club America’s 1-1 draw vs. Veracruz on Friday.
- Jonathan Bornstein started and played 56 minutes in Queretaro’s 2-1 loss vs. Cruz Azul on Saturday.
- Luis Gil came off the bench and played 26 minutes for Queretaro.
- William Yarbrough started, played 90 minutes, and made two saves in Club Leon’s 1-0 win vs. Chivas de Guadalajara on Sunday.
- Miguel Ibarra did not dress for Club Leon.
- Omar Gonzalez started and played 68 minutes in Pachuca’s 5-2 win vs. Puebla on Sunday.
- Jorge Villafana started and played 90 minutes in Santos Laguna’s 2-1 loss vs. Monterrey on Friday.
- Gabriel Farfan did not dress in Jaguares de Chiapas’ 2-1 loss vs. Cruz Azul on Saturday.
What do you think of these performances? Impressed with Johnson’s goal? How many more will Wood score this season?
Share your thoughts below.