Top Stories

Sporting KC secures home win over Whitecaps with controversial penalty

Photo by John Rieger/USA TODAY Sports
Photo by John Rieger/USA TODAY Sports

As Sporting KC jumped into a first-half lead, second-half controversy led to the team’s win over the Vancouver Whitecaps Saturday night at Children’s Mercy Park.

Jacob Peterson’s first-half goalĀ again set the tone for Sporting KC on Saturday night in the 2-0 win. Peterson has scored in each of the last three home games for Sporting KC, all of which were wins.

Peterson was later, in the 63rd minute, taken down in the box by Fraser Aird. A controversial second goal for Sporting KC ensued.

David Ousted saved Benny Feilhaber’s penalty easily, but the assistant referee raised his flag on Ousted, saying he jumped off his line early. On the second attempt, Feilhaber buried the spot kick to make it 2-0.

The match stayed chippy from that point on. Both Sporting KC center backs received yellow cards.

The loss continues a really tough run for the Whitecaps. The Whitecaps haven’t won a game since July 13 and has lost fourĀ in a row. Sporting KC, on the other hand, continues a relatively good run of form, gaining 10 points in their last five games.

Sporting KC shook up its lineup in a couple different ways for this match. Graham Zusi started at right back. A center back by trade, Nuno Andre Coelho started at defensive midfielder for the second match in a row.

Both teams take to the road for their next match. The Whitecaps travel to Los Angeles to take on the Galaxy while Sporting KC will face the Philadelphia Union.


One of the most lively players on the field in yet another Sporting KC home match, Jacob Peterson involved himself in all of the key plays leading to a Sporting KC win.


David Ousted looked to have effortlessly saved Benny Feilhaber’s penalty kick. The assistant referee’s overturn of that save was a key moment in this match. From that point, Sporting held nearly all the momentum until the end of the match.


As Peterson was hacked down for the penalty that made a result unreachable for the Whitecaps, Fraser Aird immediately turned to argue with the referee. It was his mistake that put the Whitecaps on their heels.


Leave a Comment