Top Stories

Revs end Toronto’s unbeaten streak with shutout win

Many would’ve expected Toronto FC to roll past the New England Revolution given the form of the Eastern Conference leaders.

However, after 90 minutes of action, that was not the case as the Revs surged to a 3-0 home win to end Toronto’s eight-game unbeaten run that began on April 21.

Benjamin Angoua opened the scoring 17 minutes in, heading home Lee Nguyen’s cross to the high center of the goal. The goal was the defender’s first since joining the club from Guingamp in the offseason.

Justin Morrow came close to leveling the score for Toronto after 24 minutes, but his right-footed shot struck the right post. Armando Cooper saw his 34th-minute effort saved by Cody Cropper, which kept the visitors off the board going into halftime.

Raheem Edwards missed a good chance from close range after the hour mark, before the hosts extended their advantage. Diego Fagundez’s right-footed shot two minutes later doubled the Revolution’s lead. The Uruguayan finished comfortably in the box, after Juan Agudelo’s prior effort was saved by Alex Bono. The goal was Fagundez’s fourth of the season, and his first since May 21st.

Fagundez’s 85th-minute effort struck the bar, but this time Agudelo headed home the hosts third goal of the evening. The seventh strike of the season by the American capped a dominant night from Jay Heaps’ side.

With Jozy Altidore and Michael Bradley away due to international duty, Toronto mustered only three shots on goal in the defeat. Bono, who stepped in for Clint Irwin, in goal made three saves.

First-place Toronto (8-5-2) returns home on June 17th to face DC United. The Revolution (5-5-5) moved to 20 points on the season, and next duke it out with the Chicago Fire on the same day.


Diego Fagundez┬áscored a goal but also played a huge role in the Revolution’s third goal. The 22-year-old recorded two shots on goal, while playing a prominent role in the Revolution attack. Fagundez easily could have added to his stats late, but saw his shot go off the bar before Agudelo headed home from close range.


Toronto FC didn’t have many shots on goal, but Justin Morrow‘s easily could have changed the tide for the remainder of the match. The 29-year-old’s 24th-minute effort went off the post, minutes after New England opened the scoring. If Toronto went into halftime tied at one apiece, we could have seen a different conclusion to the contest.


Usually a strong figure in the Toronto back-line, Drew Moor had an off night in New England. Moor lost possession six times, but also seemed frustrated due to a Revolution attack with numerous weapons. Moor only won one header, but also lost three duels in defense as well.

Leave a Comment