Pulisic, Bradley out of USMNT Nations League roster with injuries

Christian Pulisic and Michael Bradley have been ruled out of November U.S. Men’s National Team duty due to respective injuries.

U.S. Soccer announced the roster moves on Monday, four days ahead of the team’s Nov. 15th showdown with Canada at Orlando’s Exploria Stadium. Pulisic suffered a hip injury with Chelsea on Saturday, while Bradley suffered an ankle injury in Sunday’s MLS Cup.

“Christian is officially at this stage ruled out,” Berhalter said to media Monday. We just got that information. This was a collaborative decision with the club. We’re looking after the best interest of the player. These decisions are always difficult because this group and the coaching staff want nothing more than to have Christian here, but it was a risk we weren’t willing to take at this time.”

Recent MLS Cup winners Jordan Morris and Cristian Roldan were added to Gregg Berhalter’s 23-player roster.

Real Salt Lake forward Corey Baird and Minnesota United defender Chase Gasper also departed camp over the weekend after being called in to a pre-camp earlier this month.

“Advancing to the knockout phase is our priority, and that starts by getting a win against Canada,” Berhalter said. “We will be ready to play, the team is looking forward to competing in front of our fans.  Orlando has been a great venue for the National Team, and the support of our fans makes a big difference.”

Also included in the roster are several European players such as DeAndre Yedlin, Weston McKennie, Alfredo Morales, and Josh Sargent. Goalkeeper Zack Steffen was not included after reportedly dealing with knee tendinitis, despite playing this weekend for Fortuna Dusseldorf.

The USMNT takes on Canada on Nov. 15th in Orlando before traveling to the Cayman Islands for a Nov. 19th date with Cuba. Both matches are must-wins for the USMNT if they want to win Group A.

Here’s an updated 23-player roster:

GOALKEEPERS: Brad Guzan (Atlanta United FC; 62/0), Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 8/0), Matt Turner (New England Revolution; 0/0)

DEFENDERS: John Brooks (Wolfsburg/GER; 37/3), Reggie Cannon (FC Dallas; 9/0), Sergiño Dest (Ajax/NED; 2/0), Nick Lima (San Jose Earthquakes; 9/0), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 14/2), Daniel Lovitz (Montreal Impact/CAN; 12/0), Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 38/1), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle United/ENG; 60/0), Walker Zimmerman (LAFC; 11/2)

MIDFIELDERS: Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 12/2), Weston McKennie (Schalke/GER; 17/6), Alfredo Morales (Fortuna Düsseldorf/GER; 14/0), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 18/0), Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes; 4/0), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC; 20/0)

FORWARDS: Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 30/5), Tyler Boyd (Besiktas/TUR; 8/2), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC; 37/7), Josh Sargent (Werder Bremen/GER; 11/3), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew SC; 54/10)

Comments

1. Even without Pulisic……Alfredo Morales, Weston McKennie, Josh Sargent, Tyler Boyd, Sebastian Lleget and Jordan Morris is all we need to beat Canada….CONVINCINGLY. It’s never ok to celebrate a player’s injury OR misfortune but Bradley, and Altidore, not being able to play is a blessing for the USMNT.

—————————-SARGENT————————-

MORRIS—————–LLETGET—————–BOYD

————-MORALES————–MCKENNIE———–

DEST———–BROOKS———LONG———YEDLIN

——————————TURNER—————————

USMNT 3 – CANADA 1 !!!!!!!!!

• Mysterious,
        I’m just going off statistical analysis (which of course is not always the end all say all), so the answer to that question is his stats this season is the best of any American goalkeeper in MLS. Whoscored has him ranked higher that Guzan and Johnson.
        2019 SEASON STATS
        GK
        1. MATT TURNER – 7.06 overall rating
        2. BILL HAMID – 6.97
        3. STEVE CLARK – 6.96

• That said BIzzy, I bet both of us have our doubts about whether the lineup you propose will be the one GB actually puts out for the game.

• you already know Joe Dirt, and because of the spirit of the holidays, GB is going to give Canada a fighting chance by fielding Wil Trapp, Lovitz and Gyasi Zardes lol

2. My lineup/formation- vs Canada- 4-2-3-1.
    9- Sargent
    LW- Dest, 10- Lletget, RW- Morris
    8-Morales, 6-Yedlin
    LB- Lima, CBs- Brooks, Long, RB- Cannon
    GK- Guzan
    Lead/tied My Subs- Boyd (Morris) ‘65, McKennie (Morales) ‘70, Arriola (Dest)’85

• I like this. I wasn’t thinking of Dest as much as Yedlin, but. I don’t think it matters either way. I would put McKennie in place of Yedlin as the 8 with Morales as the 6.

Unfortunately, I don’t think we will see this. I think we will see Trapp as the 6 with Dest and Lovitz as the fullbacks with Arriola as a wing. I hope I’m wrong, but after seeing the last match and who is called in…

• 100% Agreed!! O.G.! I got an explanation, for my lineup choices. I just couldn’t type fast enough. GBs rosters inspire lil imagination.

• As I’ve stated on a previous post, if Dest chooses to play for the US, you start him in an advance position. He’s right footed, and can hit from distance, so I like him @ LW. Yedlin has 60 caps, no goals, one assist… sounds like box-to-box(6) to me. I don’t think Lima is LB, but Ream & Lovitz were my other choices. Morris should have some tired legs from the playoffs, which is why I sub Boyd. I wouldn’t play Morris vs Cuba. Don’t want to send Morales back to Düsseldorf with any nick’s or injuries, McKennie is his sub, and Morales sits out Cuba match. Arriola for Dest, stamina & energy could be used for defensive purposes. Depending on, if we have a draw, or the lead. If we are down, I would sub differently. I don’t start McKennie vs Canada, but he starts for me vs Cuba.

• What is your reasoning for not starting McKennie against Canada? I agree with Gomer, but I want to understand your why.

• Ever notice when McKennie plays 2 matches and goes 90 minutes the 1st match, he comes out flat the 2nd match. I think, we have a lot of players, who are more Swiss Army knives, or utility players than define position. McKennie is one of them, being he can play multiple positions. Morales is a much better 8. I don’t like McKennie @ the 6, because he has less freedom. His passing is good but not line breaking attacking mid good! Remember, McKennie’s 1st match? Danny Williams played the 6 for Sarachan, in a 4-1-4-1, and it allowed McKennie to go forward, often. McKennie eventually scored his 1st international goal. For me, I give McKennie 25 minutes vs Canada. I would let him start @ the 10 vs Cuba, and play the whole match.

3. Not the worst roster GB could have called in, but not nearly the best either. It’s depressing to see some of these bad choices over and over again.

4. Can they put Julian Green on a plane? He’s been playing well and unlike about 40% of the guys who may play, he’s actually in season.

5. IMO Sargent would start hes been playing for Bremen Zardes hasn’t played in weeks. Trapp shouldn’t start either he hasn’t played in weeks either it should be Morales and Roldan as the two defensive mids. Roldan has made mistakes but if he can play how he does for sounders covering so much ground he will be a good asset over a trap or Yueil.

• Weston, Alfredo, and Sebastian in the midfield. Jordan and Tyler on the wings w/ Josh up top. Anyone but Lovitz or Ream at LB.

6. Good, rather CP rest up for City than being part of a frustrating result vs canada and get a hat trick vs cuba.

PS Bradleys status is not worthy of being coupled with CPs

7. I read some article after the Chelsea game that sounded as if Pulisic was carrying a bit of the hip injury into that game. I suspect this is precautionary to give him a week to rest up so he can pick up where he keft off after the international break, not make him travel, play 2 games and come back worse off. I’m actually glad to see this. If we cant beat Canada and Cuba without him then there are far bigger issues to deal with for the USMNT. That being said this roster is not very good.

8. I thought that pulissic initially too had decided to use that as an excuse not to come to undermine Greg I wouldn’t mind that but sometimes you need to sacrafice a result for a better future if this is the case. It sounds like greg could have called him but decided not too but if I’m pulissic and was hurt I wouldn’t mind not coming for the nats given that all work load is on me. With no clear system in place.

• And GB avoids a possible lynch mob due to hurt players. Now he can lose with his homeboys and not have to pay the price. Advice to Sarge – get hurt fast. You will be blamed for not producing with this group if we lose. Zardes should start and take the blame, not you.

9. so quote “didn’t want to risk him” he should have brought him it’s a big game and could have used him as a sub also if he didn’t bring him he should have brought Altidore he scored last night what a joke brings in zardes anything to bring in zardes because he understands the system. Berhalter does not have the courage to send Trapp and zardes home they don’t belong. He didn’t call in pomykal who was in the play offs but calls in yueil and Trapp players who didn’t make the playoffs. Lovitz? Why is he needed the position is covered already with dest and lima who can play on either side. With the injury of pulisic a creative midfielder was needed. He didn’t call nagbe hyndman what about parks I’m sure there are other fans who can name players he could have brought in to the MLS camp specially because we needed offensive mids because pulissic and Altidore would not be called. What a mess berhalter has proven even just by these last call ups he is no strategist and his player selection if awful to the point his justifications are not coherent and make no sense. This could be his undoing if they fail which I think we will because Canada will have 11 guys defending behind the ball. They have a better coach and showed it this last game against us. Soccer is about strategy in important games and he has shown he lacks it very much.

10. I think this is a blessing in disguise, assuming the injuries to Pulisic and Steffen are minor. This now becomes a moment of truth for the young USMNT and for Berhalter. It’s way past time to move on from Bradley and Altidore, well they aren’t here. We all believe we should be able to beat Canada at home without our star player, well he isn’t here. The players we have should be enough to repay Canada the 2-0 scoreline and then beat up on Cuba. If not, then it’s time for a new leader with new ideas. The defense looks quite solid on paper and a midfield of Morales, McKennie, and Lletget has plenty of potential. We will need Sargent to step up and produce, but he seems capable. Time for the next generation to take control of this team.

• Yeah I like this take. A major objective of having a “system” is to minimize the risk of losing any one player. Sure, not having Pulisic is bound to hurt, but by now we should be be aware that our best young players simply aren’t available all of the time (still waiting on Adams/McKennie/Pulisic to actually play meaningful minutes together). I concur that we still have enough talent to win these games. GB needs to show he can get the results.

11. I wonder if CP is making a statement here. “I aint playing for that joker.” He celebrated his goal quite enthusiastically. Obviously, noone knows, but I just wonder.

12. Now they have an excuse not to fire GB if we lose to Canada again and miss the knockout rounds.

Things will get worse from here until we get the right people in charge. Struggling with Canada doesn’t bode well for the upcoming Hex.

• Especially because Canada is now ranked high enough (by beating us) to make the Hex. Our road matches: San Jose; Mexico City; Panama City; Kingston; and Toronto.

• Man I didnt realize Pulisic injury was that serious. I watched the whole game him running into the goal post did not look serious. This is bad Pulisic is not present. I will assume he did not call him in due to it and he is not leaving him off because of tension.