The U.S. men’s national team takes on Mexico tonight in a clash of the top two teams in Concacaf World Cup qualifying, with the Americans aiming to catch El Tri in the standings with a win at TQL Stadium in Cincinnati (9 p.m. ET, ESPN).
Mexico is undefeated in the Octagonal, but enters Friday missing its three best central defenders, though Tata Martino does have his full attack available, with Raul Jimenez, Hirving Lozano and Jesus Corona poised to test the USMNT defense.
The USMNT will be without some of its biggest stars, with Gio Reyna and Sergiño Dest unavailable due to injury, and Christian Pulisic beginning tonight’s match on the bench as he continues to recover from the ankle injury that sidelined him for two months.
Berhalter’s team still has plenty of firepower though, with Weston McKennie, Ricardo Pepi and Brenden Aaronson set to lead the attack.
The Americans have won two straight home matches in qualifying, including the 2-1 victory over Costa Rica in October, but Gregg Berhalter knows full well that El Tri will provide a much tougher test.
SBI will be providing coverage of the clash of the Concacaf Giants throughout the night so be sure to stay tuned as we provide updates, and analysis before, during and after the match.
Check back in closer to 8 p.m. ET as we provide the starting lineups for both teams.
Here is a rundown of SBI’s pre-match coverage:
- Why the USMNT has a team capable of pressing Mexico into submission. (LINK)
- The Five Key Matchups to Watch (LINK)
- USMNT-Mexico qualifier set to mark the end of an era in the rivalry (LINK)
- Who will, and who should the USMNT start vs. Mexico (LINK)
- Ricardo Pepi poised for special USMNT-Mexico showdown (LINK)
- The SBI Show: Episode 340 (USMNT-Mexico Preview) (LINK)
- USMNT News: Pulisic won’t start against Mexico, Steffen gets the nod in goal (LINK)
- Summer lessons have USMNT confident heading into qualifier vs. Mexico (LINK)
- Yunus Musah takes inspiration from teammates McKennie and Adams (LINK)
- Yedlin ready to bring experience to dog fight with Mexico (LINK)
- Why the John Brooks USMNT omission isn’t about form, but about fit (LINK)
- Three options to complete the USMNT midfield vs. Mexico (LINK)
- Antonee Robinson riding strong club form into USMNT-Mexico clash (LINK)
- A look at the biggest USMNT roster omissions (LINK)
SBI’s editorial staff will provide insight and analysis throughout the night in the comments section below. You are welcome to share your own pre-game and in-game thoughts and opinions as well.
Enjoy the action.