The MLS Players Union released the salaries of every player in the league on Tuesday, and a new face leads the list just months after making the move to North America.
Chicago Fire star Xherdan Shaqiri was ranked No. 1 with the highest annual salary after joining from Liverpool this offseason. LA Galaxy forward Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernandez and Inter Miami FC forward Gonzalo Higuain rounded out the top three, remaining among the highest-paid players in the league.
Shaqiri signed a Designated Player contract in his move to MLS and makes roughly $7,350,000 in his base salary. His total guaranteed compensation is $8,153,000, more than $2 million higher than Chicharito who is second ($6,000,000) on the list.
Alejandro Pozuelo, the 2020 MLS MVP, features in fourth on the list with a salary of just under $4.7 million (4,693,000.00). Pozuelo’s former Toronto FC teammate Jozy Altidore, is fifth with a guaranteed compensation of $4,264,963.
Josef Martinez, Carlos Vela, Luiz Araujo, Lucas Zelarayan, and Carles Gil complete the top 10 earners in MLS, adding to the growing trend of top offensive talent in the league. TFC defender Carlos Salcedo is the highest-ranked defender on the list, earning just under $2.4 million ($2,351,000).
Columbus Crew goalkeeper Eloy Room ranks as the highest earner at his position, earning $883,000. Philadelphia Union goalkeeper Andre Blake is second with a salary of $869,375 and D.C. United’s Bill Hamid is third with $700,000.
Here is a rundown of the highest-paid players in MLS:
Top 20 Highest Paid MLS Players
- Xherdan Shaqiri, Chicago Fire, $8,153,000.00
- Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernandez, LA Galaxy, $6,000,000.00
- Gonzalo Higuain, Inter Miami FC, $5,793,750.00
- Alejandro Pozuelo, Toronto FC, $4,693,000.00
- Jozy Altidore, New England Revolution, $4,264,963.00
- Josef Martinez, Atlanta United, $4,141,667.00
- Carlos Vela, LAFC, $4,050,000.00
- Luiz Araujo, Atlanta United, $3,941,667.00
- Lucas Zelarayan, Columbus Crew, $3,700,000.00
- Carles Gil, New England Revolution, $3,545,833.00
- Rodolfo Pizarro, Inter Miami CF, $3,350,000.00
- Nicolas Lodeiro, Seattle Sounders FC, $3,256,667.00
- Franco Jara, FC Dallas, $3,227,000.00
- Raul Ruidiaz, Seattle Sounders, $3,201,120.00
- Victor Wanyama, CF Montreal, $3,091,667.00
- Douglas Costa, L.A. Galaxy, $3,000,000.00
- Adrien Hunou, Minnesota United, $2,687,702.00
- Gustavo Bou, New England Revolution, $2,675,000.00
- Gaston Gimenez, Chicago Fire, $2,360,667.00
- Carlos Salcedo, Toronto FC, $2,351,000.00
Here is the full list. What do you think of the salaries? Who do you see being the best bargain? Who do you think is the most overpaid player?
Share your thoughts below.