Top Stories

Haji Wright scores but Coventry City’s FA Cup run ends with semifinal shootout loss

Coventry City’s dream of returning to a first FA Cup Final since 1987 came to an end on Sunday afternoon at Wembley Stadium, but the Sky Blues exited the competition with their heads held high.

Haji Wright scored once on Sunday but the Sky Blues fell 4-2 on penalty kicks to Manchester United after the teams played out a 3-3 result through 120 minutes. Wright’s 95th minute penalty-kick equalizer forced 30 minutes of extra time, but the Red Devils would eventually escape to set up a May 26 Final vs. rivals Manchester City.

Despite being down 3-0 after 58 minutes following goals from Scott McTominay, Harry Maguire, and Bruno Fernandes, Coventry City would rally back. Ellis Simms and Callum O’Hare scored eight minutes apart before Wright stepped up in second-half stoppage time to score from the penalty spot.

It marked Wright’s third goal in the competition this season.

Both teams had golden opportunities to win the match in extra time as Fernandes and Simms both struck the crossbar. Victor Torp poked home what looked to be the winning goal, but VAR overturned the goal due to Wright standing in an offsides position before delivering the cross into the box.

Casemiro’s first round spot kick opportunity was denied by Bradley Collins, but the Sky Blues eventually failed on two of their chances. O’Hare’s low drive was punched away by Andre Onana before Ben Sheaf skied his chance into the stands.

Rasmus Hojlund successfully scored in the fifth round to seal the win for the Red Devils.

Coventry City’s FA Cup is over and the Sky Blues’ promotion hopes remain alive by a thread. With four matches left, the Sky Blues will need to win out to have any chance of cracking the top-six over several other challengers.


  1. Was Haji the guy ruled offside on what would have been the winner in stoppage time? I just saw the stills on Twitter with the VAR lines drawn on it.


Leave a Comment