If you are a Chicago Fire fan and you’re having trouble keeping up with all the candidates to replace Juan Carlos Osorio, SBI is here to help.
The list of head coaching candidates is a long one, but not all candidates are created equal. Some are serious long-shots, while others are true front-runners. Bruce Arena was the biggest name to join the mix, and while he has already denied any interest, sources have confirmed that he did, in fact, speak to the Fire. Where those talks went is unclear, but it shows how serious Chicago is about this search.
Here is a rundown of the candidates and the completely unofficial odds on their chances of being hired by the Fire based on what SBI has heard from a variety of sources:
- CANDIDATE ODDS
- Denis Hamlett 4-1
- Still the favorite, even as the field grows.
- Paul Mariner 7-1
- If Fire fans could vote, Mariner would be hired.
- Frank Klopas 12-1
- Might have a better chance of becoming technical director.
- MIke Jeffries 18-1
- Deserves a chance but poor record in Dallas hurts.
- John Spencer 20-1
- Could become a great head coach, may need more seasoning.
- Mike Matkovich 40-1
- Surprise interviewee would make great head of player development.
- Hristo Stoitchkov 75-1
- Given a courtesy look but few think Hristo-Blanco is a good idea.
- Bruce Arena OFF
- Sources say Chicago did speak to Arena, but Arena denies ever having interest
No, SBI won’t be accepting wagers on these lines so don’t get too crazy. There is certainly the chance for a curveball, especially when word in Chicago is that new owner Andrew Hauptman is fully involved in the hiring process. Will Hauptman listen to Fire legend Chris Armas, who endorsed Hamlett? Will he go with fresh blood in Mariner? Will he wind up hiring a candidate whose identity has yet to be revealed?
A decision is expected early next week so stay tuned.
What do you think of the odds? Where would your money be going right now? Share your thoughts below