By FRANCO PANIZO
It did not take very long for Jozy Altdiore to fulfill U.S. men's national team head coach Jurgen Klinsmann's wishes.
Days after Klinsmann said he wanted to see Altidore create and finish his own chances, Altidore did just that and more in AZ Alkmaar's 3-3 draw with RKC Waalwijk on Sunday. Altidore continued to tear up the Eredivisie by netting his eighth goal in league play (and ninth in all competitions) on a great individual effort that saw him dribble by a pair of defenders before hitting a shot off the near post and in. Altidore followed that up by helping save AZ from defeat, assisting on an 88th-minute equalizer by heading a ball across the penalty area.
Aron Johannsson was another player that scored this weekend, netting the winner in AGF Aarhus' 2-1 over Odense BK on Sunday. The goal was Johannsson's Superliga-leading 11th of the season and marked the fifth consecutive league game in which he has tallied, a stretch of matches that has seen Johannsson score 10 of his 11 goals.
Dempsey also found the back of the net, scoring the decisive goal in Tottenham Hotspur's surprise 3-2 victory over Manchester United on Saturday. The goal, Dempsey's first for Spurs, gave Tottenham their first win at Old Trafford since 1989 and gave them three big points in their quest to try and lock up one of the Premiership's Champions League spots this season.
Here's how the Americans Abroad fared this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made four saves in Everton's 3-1 win vs. Southampton on Saturday.
- Brad Friedel started, played 90 minutes and made five saves in Tottenham Hotspur's 3-2 win vs. Manchester United on Saturday.
- Clint Dempsey started, played 70 minutes and scored a GOAL for Tottenham Hotspur.
- Brad Guzan started, played 90 minutes and made two saves in Aston Villa's 1-1 draw vs. West Bromwich Albion on Sunday.
- Eric Lichaj dressed but did not play for Aston Villa.
- Geoff Cameron started and played 90 minutes in Stoke City's 2-0 win vs. Swansea City on Saturday.
- Maurice Edu dressed but did not play for Stoke City.
- Tim Ream dressed but did not play in Bolton Wanderers' 1-0 loss vs. Crystal Palace on Saturday.
- Stuart Holden did not dress for Bolton Wanderers. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Jonathan Spector started and played 90 minutes in Birmingham City's 1-0 win vs. Brighton & Hove Albion on Saturday.
- Will Packwood started and played 81 minutes for Birmingham City.
- Conor Doyle did not dress in Derby County's 1-0 win vs. Nottingham Forest on Saturday.
- Zak Whitbread dressed but did not play in Leicester City's 2-1 win vs. Middlesbrough on Saturday.
- Frank Simek started and played 90 minutes in Carlisle United's 2-0 loss vs. Crawley Town on Saturday.
- Robbie Rogers did not dress in Stevenage's 2-2 draw vs. Bury on Saturday.
- Mike Grella came off the bench and played one minute in Scunthorpe United's 2-1 loss vs. Portsmouth on Saturday.
- Oguchi Onyewu dressed but did not play in Malaga CF's 4-0 win vs. Real Betis on Saturday.
- Carlos Bocanega started and played 90 minutes in Racing Santander's 1-1 draw vs. Numancia on Saturday.
- Michael Bradley did not dress in AS Roma's 4-1 loss vs. Juventus on Sunday.
- Steve Cherundolo started and played 90 minutes in Hannover 96's 1-0 loss vs. Hamburg SV on Saturday.
- Jermaine Jones started, played 73 minutes and received a yellow card in Schalke 04's 2-2 draw vs. Fortuna Dusseldorf on Friday.
- Fabian Johnson started and played 90 minutes in TSG 1899 Hoffenheim's 0-0 draw vs. FC Augsburg on Saturday.
- Danny Williams started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card for TSG 1899 Hoffenheim.
- Timmy Chandler started and played 90 minutes in FC Nurnberg's 2-0 loss vs. VfB Stuttgart on Saturday.
- David Yelldell did not dress in Bayer Leverkusen's 2-0 win vs. SpVgg Greuther Furth on Saturday.
- Alfredo Morales and Hertha Berlin play MSV Duisburg on Monday.
- John Anthony Brooks and Hertha Berlin play MSV Duisburg on Monday.
- Andrew Wooten dressed but did not play in SV Sandhausen's 4-0 loss vs. TSV 1860 Munich on Saturday.
- Joe Gyau dressed but did not play in St Pauli's 3-0 loss vs. SSV Jahn Regensburg on Friday.
- Jozy Altidore started, played 90 minutes, had an ASSIST and scored a GOAL in AZ Alkmaar's 3-3 draw vs. RKC Waalwijk on Saturday.
- Tony Taylor dressed but did not play in G.D. Estoril Praia's 2-2 draw vs. Sporting Lisbon on Saturday.
- Caleb Patterson-Sewell did not dress in Vitoria Setubal FC's 1-1 draw vs. Beira Mar on Sunday.
- Sacha Kljestan dressed but did not play in RSC Anderlecht's 3-0 win vs. Lokeren on Saturday.
- Eugene Starikov did not dress in FC Rostov's 4-0 loss vs. Rubin Kazan on Sunday.
- Terrence Boyd started, played 60 minutes and received a yellow card in Rapid Vienna's 2-0 win vs. Wacker Innsbruck on Saturday.
- Michael Parkhurst started, played 90 minutes and had an ASSIST in FC Nordsjaelland's 3-0 win vs. Esbjerg on Friday. You can see the assist here.
- Clarence Goodson did not dress in Brondby IF's 3-2 loss vs. Randers FC on Sunday. He was serving his suspension for the ejection he received last week.
- Conor O'Brien and SonderjyskE play FC Midtjylland on Monday.
- Charlie Davies dressed but did not play in Randers FC's 3-2 win vs. Brondby IF on Sunday.
- Aron Johannsson started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL in AGF Aarhus' 2-1 win vs. Odense BK on Sunday.
- Alejandro Bedoya started, played 90 minutes and had an ASSIST in Helsingborgs IF's 3-0 win vs. Atvidabergs FF on Sunday.
- Brian Span and Djurgardens IF play Mjallby on Monday.
- Josh Gatt did not dress in Molde FK's 4-3 win vs. Stabaek IF on Sunday. He is recovering from a hamstring injury.
- Steve Clark started and played 90 mintues in Honefoss BK's 0-0 draw vs. Sogndal on Sunday.
- Mix Diskerud started, played 90 minutes, received a yellow card and scored a GOAL in Rosenborg BK's 5-2 win vs. Haugesund on Friday. You can see the goal here.
- Sean Cunningham did not dress in Stabaek IF's 4-3 loss vs. Molde FK on Sunday.
- Chad Barrett and Valerenga play Fredrikstad on Monday.
- Jose Torres came off the bench and played 26 minutes in Pachuca's 1-0 win vs. Chivas de Guadalajara on Saturday.
- Herculez Gomez dressed but did not play Santos Laguna's 3-1 win vs. Atlante on Sunday.
- Hector Joya came off the bench and played 21 minutes for Santos Laguna.
- DaMarcus Beasley started and played 68 minutes in Puebla's 1-1 draw vs. Pumas UNAM on Sunday.
- Jonathan Bornstein did not dress in Tigres UANL's 0-0 draw vs. San Luis on Saturday.
- Michael Orozco Fiscal came off the bench and played 10 minutes in San Luis' 0-0 draw vs. Tigres UANL on Saturday.
- Edgar Castillo started and played 90 minutes in Club Tijuana's 1-0 win vs. Queretaro on Saturday.
- Joe Corona dressed but did not play for Club Tijuana.
- Greg Garza did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Ventura Alvarado did not dress in Club America's 1-1 draw vs. Morelia on Saturday.
What do you think of these performances? Expecting Altidore to get sold next summer? Do you see Dempsey and Tottenham earning a Champions League spot this season? Think there is any chance Johannsson accepts a U.S. men's national team call-up soon?
Share your thoughts below.