By FRANCO PANIZO
As far as ending the year goes, Michael Bradley and AS Roma could not have asked for a better performance.
Roma closed out 2012 with a thorough 4-2 thumping of AC Milan on Saturday, and Bradley enjoyed a solid showing in the victory. Bradley went the distance in the game that saw Roma jump out to a surprising 4-0 lead before AC Milan scored two late. The win kept Roma in sixth place in Serie A, but put them just four points shy of second.
In England, Brad Guzan, Eric Lichaj and Aston Villa were humiliated at the hands of Chelsea. The Villans suffered an 8-0 loss to Chelsea on Sunday in one of the weekend’s most embarrassing results, and the defeat left them just three points clear of the relegation zone.
There was some good news for Americans in England, with Geoff Cameron turning in a solid effort in Stoke City’s 0-0 draw vs. Tottenham on Saturday. The result pushed Stoke’s unbeaten streak to eight matches. Clint Dempsey did not dress in the match for Tottenham due to a groin injury.
Here’s how the Americans Abroad did this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made one save in Everton’s 2-1 win vs. West Ham United on Saturday.
- Brad Friedel dressed but did not play in Tottenham’s 0-0 draw vs. Stoke City on Saturday.
- Clint Dempsey did not dress for Tottenham. He is recovering from a groin injury.
- Brad Guzan started, played 90 minutes and made seven saves in Aston Villa’s 8-0 loss vs. Chelsea on Sunday.
- Eric Lichaj started and played 56 minutes for Aston Villa.
- Geoff Cameron started and played 90 minutes in Stoke City’s 0-0 draw vs. Tottenham on Saturday.
- Maurice Edu did not dress for Stoke City.
- Sebastian Lletget dressed but did not play in West Ham United’s 2-1 loss vs. Everton on Saturday.
- Tim Ream dressed but did not play in Bolton Wanderers’ 5-4 loss vs. Peterborough United on Saturday.
- Stuart Holden did not dress for Bolton Wanderers.
- Jonathan Spector did not dress in Birmingham City’s 2-2 draw vs. Burnley on Saturday. He is recovering from an ankle injury.
- Will Packwood started and played 90 minutes for Birmingham City.
- Conor Doyle did not dress in Derby County’s 2-1 loss vs. Hull City on Friday.
- Zak Whitbread started and played 90 minutes in Leicester City’s 1-0 loss vs. Cardiff City on Saturday.
- Robbie Findley did not dress in Nottingham Forest’s 2-0 loss vs. Watford on Saturday.
- Frank Simek and Carlisle United’s match vs. Scunthorpe United on Saturday was postponed due to inclement weather.
- Robbie Rogers and Stevenage’s match vs. Brentford on Saturday was postponed due to inclement weather.
- Mike Grella and Scunthorpe United’s match vs. Carlisle United on Saturday was postponed due to inclement weather.
- Oguchi Onyewu dressed but did not play in Malaga CF’s 3-2 win vs. Real Madrid on Saturday.
- Carlos Bocanega started and played 90 minutes in Racing Santander’s 1-1 draw vs. Guadalajara on Saturday.
- Michael Bradley started and played 90 minutes in AS Roma’s 4-2 win vs. AC Milan on Saturday.
- Jozy Altidore started and played 90 minutes in AZ Alkmaar’s 3-0 loss vs. FC Twente on Friday.
- Sacha Kljestan started and played 90 minutes in RSC Anderlecht’s 4-2 win vs. Genk on Sunday.
What do you think of these performances? How impressed were you by Bradley’s game against AC Milan? How proud are you to see Altidore honor the Newton, Conn. victims? Do you think Aston Villa will avoid the drop this season?
Share your thoughts below.