By FRANCO PANIZO
Americans are no strangers to finding success at Fulham, and the latest player that appears poised to do so is Emerson Hyndman.
Hyndman made his professional debut with the Cottagers on Saturday, starting and going the distance in a 2-1 loss to Ipswich Town. The performance made the 18-year-old midfielder – who is the grandson of former FC Dallas head coach Schellas Hyndman – the latest American to represent Fulham, joining the likes of Clint Dempsey, Carlos Bocanegra and Brian McBride. The start also seems to bode well for his role with the club this season, and surely injected plenty of confidence into Hyndman despite seeing his side come up short in its season opener.
The weekend also saw two Americans spark comebacks for their respective clubs over in Norway. Mix Diskerud and Michael Stephens each found the back of the net, with Diskerud jumpstarting Rosenborg’s 3-2 comeback win over IK Start and Stephens starting the Stabaek IF rally in a 2-2 draw with Molde FK.
Michael Orozco had far from an enjoyable performance. Orozco endured a nightmare outing for Puebla, scoring an own goal that proved to be the difference and receiving a straight red card in the second half of a 1-0 loss to Cruz Azul. Orozco was ejected from the match in the 58th minute for striking forward Mariano Pavone, handicapping Puebla’s chances of finding an equalizer.
Here is how the Americans Abroad performed this weekend:
- Jonathan Spector did not dress in Birmingham City’s 2-0 loss vs. Middlesbrough on Saturday.
- Will Packwood did not dress for Birmingham City.
- Tim Ream started and played 90 minutes in Bolton Wanderers’ 3-0 loss vs. Watford on Saturday.
- Eric Lichaj came off the bench and played three minutes in Nottingham Forest’s 2-0 win vs. Blackpool on Saturday.
- Danny Williams did not dress in Reading’s 2-2 draw vs. Wigan Athletic on Saturday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Duane Holmes did not dress in Huddersfield Town’s 4-0 loss vs. AFC Bournemouth on Saturday.
- Emerson Hyndman started and played 90 minutes in Fulham’s 2-1 loss vs. Ipswich Town on Saturday.
- Zak Whitbread started, played 90 minutes and had an ASSIST in Derby County’s 2-0 win vs. Carlisle United in the Capital One Cup on Monday.
- Alfredo Morales started and played 90 minutes in FC Ingolstadt 04’s 2-2 draw vs. SV Darmstadt 98 on Sunday.
- Terrence Boyd did not dress in RB Leipzig’s 3-0 win vs. TSV 1860 Munich on Sunday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Bobby Wood started and played 90 minutes in TSV 1860 Munich’s 3-0 loss vs. RB Leipzig on Sunday.
- Andrew Wooten started and played 90 minutes in SV Sandhausen’s 1-1 draw vs. Kaiserslautern on Sunday.
- Alejandro Bedoya started and played 88 minutes in FC Nantes’ 1-0 win vs. Lens on Saturday.
- Aron Johannsson did not dress in AZ Alkmaar’s 3-0 win vs. SC Heracles Almelo on Saturday. He is recovering from an ankle injury.
- Sacha Kljestan dressed but did not play in RSC Anderlecht’s 1-0 win vs. Royal Charleroi SC on Sunday.
- Conor O’Brien did not dress in FC Magna Wiener Neustadt’s 2-2 draw vs. Austria Vienna on Saturday.
- Mix Diskerud started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL in Rosenborg BK’s 3-2 win vs. IK Start on Sunday.
- Michael Stephens started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL in Stabaek IF’s 2-2 draw vs. Molde FK on Sunday.
- Andrew Jacobson started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card for Stabaek IF.
- Ethan Horvath dressed but did not play in Molde FK’s 2-2 draw vs. Stabaek IF on Sunday.
- Josh Gatt did not dress for Molde FK. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Zarek Valentin did not dress in FK Bodo/Glimt’s 1-0 win vs. Sogndal on Sunday. He is recovering from an Achilles injury.
- Freddy Adu did not play in FK Jagodina’s 1-1 draw vs. Mladost Lucani on Saturday.
- Michael Orozco started, played 58 minutes, scored an OWN GOAL and received a RED CARD in Puebla’s 1-0 loss vs. Cruz Azul on Saturday.
- Edgar Castillo started and played 90 minutes in Atlas’ 1-0 win vs. Pumas UNAM on Sunday.
- Jose Torres started and played 90 minutes in Tigres UANL’s 2-0 loss vs. Club America on Saturday.
- Herculez Gomez did not dress for Tigres UANL.
- Ventura Alvarado came off the bench and played eight minutes in Club America’s 2-0 win vs. Tigres UANL on Saturday.
- Jonathan Bornstein did not dress in Queretaro’s 3-2 win vs. Santos Laguna on Saturday.
- Greg Garza started and played 90 minutes in Club Tijuana’s 0-0 draw vs. Morelia on Friday.
- Joe Corona came off the bench and played five minutes for Club Tijuana.
- Paul Arriola did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Alejandro Guido did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Amando Moreno did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Joaquin Alonso Hernandez did not dress in Monterrey’s 2-1 loss vs. Veracruz on Friday.
- Gabriel Farfan did not dress in Jaguares de Chiapas’ 3-2 win vs. Club Leon on Saturday.
What do you think of these performances? Do you see Hyndman having a standout debut season with Fulham? Was Orozco’s performance the worst you’ve seen from an American Abroad in some time?
Share your thoughts below.