It is that time of year again. Time to find out how players from the CONCACAF region are doing in professional leagues across Europe. With more and more CONCACAF players heading to top leagues, the competition in the region is only getting tougher, and it is getting even more important to keep track of how potential U.S. national team opponents are doing.
I will make it a weekly mission to do the work necessary to find out how the region’s best fare from week to week. I was able to get this series off the ground last season and will look to keep it going all year long.
This week, we saw Jamaican Ricardo Fuller (above) score for Stoke City in its 3-2 upset of Aston Villa. We saw Hondurans Maynor Figueroa and Wilson Palacios both earn starts in Wigan’s 1-0 loss to Chelsea and we also saw Mexicans Pavel Pardo and Ricardo Osorio start and log 90 minutes each in Stuttgart’s 2-0 loss to Bayer Leverkusen just three days after helping Mexico beat Honduras in World Cup qualifying.
Here is how the rest of the CONCACAF players did in Europe this past weekend:
- Julian DeGuzman and Deportivo La Coruna begins play next week.
- Jonathan DeGuzman and Feyenoord begins play next week.
- David Edgar dressed but did not play in Newcastle’s 1-0 win vs. Bolton on Saturday.
- Daniel Imhof started and played 90 minutes VFL Bochum’s 2-2 tie vs. VFL Wolfsburg on Sunday.
- Iain Hume did not play in Barnsley’s 2-0 loss to Birmingham on Saturday due to suspension.
- Patrice Bernier and FC Nordsjaelland’s were off last weekend.
- Josh Simpson did not dress in Kaiserslautern’s 2-1 win vs. Nuremberg on Monday.
- Rob Friend came off the bench and played 29 minutes on Borussia Monchengladbach’s 1-0 loss to TSG Hoffenheim on Saturday.
- Kevin McKenna dressed but did not play in FC Cologne’s 1-1 tie vs. Eintracht Frankfurt on Sunday.
- Tomas Radzinski and Skoda Xanthi’s begin play next week.
- Tam Nsaliwa and AEK Athens begin play next week.
- Marcel De Jong and Roda JC begin play next week.
- Richard Hastings started, played 90 minutes and drew a yellow card in Inverness’ 1-1 tie vs. Aberdeen on Saturday.
- Bryan Ruiz did not dress in KAA Gent’s 3-1 loss to RAEC Bergen Mons on Sunday.
- Alvaro Saborio came off the bench and played seven minutes in FC Sion Sitten’s 3-1 loss to FC Zurich on Sunday.
- Jason Roberts started, played 81 minutes and scored a goal in Blackburn’s 1-1 tie vs. Hull City on Saturday.
- David Suazo did not play in Inter Milan’s Italian Super Cup win against AS Roma on Sunday.
- Edgar Alvarez and Livorno begin play next week.
- Julio Cesar Leon and Genoa begin play next week.
- Maynor Figueroa started and played 90 minutes in Wigan’s 1-0 loss to Chelsea on Sunday.
- Wilson Palacios started and played 80 minutes for Wigan.
- Ricardo Fuller started, played 87 minutes and scored a goal in Stoke’s 3-2 win against Aston Villa on Saturday.
- Nyron Nosworthy started and played 90 minutes in Sunderland’s 2-1 win against Tottenham on Saturday.
- Marlon King started and played 90 minutes in Hull City’s 1-1 tie vs. Blackburn on Saturday.
- Ricardo Gardner came off the bench and played 24 minutes in Bolton’s 1-0 loss to Newcastle on Saturday.
- Claude Davis started and played 45 minutes in Derby County’s 1-0 loss to Southampton on Saturday.
- Deon Burton started, played 87 minutes and and drew a yellow card in Sheffield Wednesday’s 1-1 tie vs. Preston North End on Saturday.
- Jason Euell did not dress in Southampton’s 1-0 win vs. Derby County on Saturday.
- Luton Shelton started and played 63 minutes in Valarenga’s 2-1 loss to Stromsgodset on Monday.
- Damion Stewart Queens Park Rangers.
- Giovani Dos Santos came off the bench and played 33 minutes in Tottenham’s 2-1 loss to Sunderland on Saturday.
- Carlos Vela did not dress in Arsenal’s 1-0 loss to Fulham on Saturday.
- Rafael Marquez and Barcelona begin play next week.
- Guillermo Franco and Villarreal begin play next week.
- Omar Bravo and Andres Guardado and Deportivo La Coruna begin play next week.
- Nery Castillo and Real Betis begin play next week.
- Pavel Pardo started, played 90 minutes and drew a yellow card in Stuttgart’s 2-0 loss to Bayer Leverkusen on Saturday.
- Ricardo Osorio started and played 90 minutes for Stuttgart.
- Carlos Salcido and PSV Eindhoven begin play next week.
- Aaron Galindo dressed but did not play in in Eintracht Frankfurt’s 1-1 tie vs. FC Cologne on Sunday.
- Hector Moreno and AZ Alkmaar begin play next week.
- Antonio DeNigris came off the bench and played nine minutes in Ankaraspor’s 2-0 loss to Trabzonspor on Sunday.
TRINIDAD & TOBAGO
- Dwight Yorke did not dress in Sunderland’s 2-1 win vs. Tottenham on Saturday.
- Kenwyne Jones did not dress for Sunderland and is still recovering from knee surgery.
- Darryl Roberts started and played 90 minutes in Denizlispor’s 4-1 loss to Galatasaray on Saturday.
- Stern John came off the bench and played six minutes in Southampton’s 1-0 win vs. Derby County on Saturday.
- Russell Latapy did not dress in Falkirk’s 3-0 loss to Celtic on Saturday.
If there are any players who you think should be included in the list please feel free to pass on their information and I will include them. Keep in mind that I will focus on top first divisions in Europe with the second divisions in England and Germany also being included (I will also look to add Serie B as well as the Spanish second division if possible). There may be players in very small leagues (like say Moldova or Poland) but my inclusion of players in those leagues is contingent on being able to find a reliable source of information on those leagues.
Feel free to share your thoughts on these performances in the comments section below