Last weekend was the first full weekend of European soccer, but it was on this side of the Atlantic in Mexico where American-born soccer players were enjoying the most success on foreign land.
Three American-born players earned starts in the Mexican First Division last weekend while a fourth, California-born Jesus Padilla (pictured), came off the bench to deliver a 90th-minute equalizer for Chivas de Guadalajara against Morelia on Saturday. If you’re wondering how an American-born player could be playing for Chivas, you might have missed this very interesting story.
European-based players did their share as well. Brad Friedel shut out Liverpool and Neven Subotic (yes, we’re still holding on to him) scored the game-winner for Borussia Dortmund against Energie Cottbus.
Here is how the rest of the Americans did in Europe (and Mexico) last weekend (as well as some polls on whether or not to keep including Subotic and Giuseppe Rossi in the Americans Abroad roundup):
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes, and made four saves in Everton’s 3-0 loss to Portsmouth on Saturday.
- Brad Friedel started, played 90 minutes, and made one save in Aston Villa’s 0-0 tie vs. Liverpool on Sunday.
- Brad Guzan dressed but did not play for Aston Villa.
- Clint Dempsey and Fulham did not play this weekend.
- Jonathan Spector did not dress in West Ham’s 4-1 win vs. Blackburn on Saturday.
- Marcus Hahnemann started, played 90 minutes and made two saves in Reading’s 4-2 win vs. Crystal Palace on Saturday.
- Bobby Convey dressed but did not play for Reading.
- Jay DeMerit started and played 90 minutes in Watford’s 2-1 win vs. Ipswich on Saturday.
- Eddie Johnson came off the bench and played five minutes in Cardiff City’s 0-0 tie vs. Sheffield United on Saturday.
- Frank Simek did not dress in Sheffield Wednesday’s 1-1 tie vs. Swansea.
- Maurice Edu dressed but did not play in Rangers’ 4-2 win against Celtic on Sunday.
- DaMarcus Beasley did not dress for Rangers.
- Neven Subotic started, played 90 minutes and scored the lone goal in Borussia Dortmund’s 1-0 win against Energie Cottbus on Saturday.
- Steve Cherundolo started and played 90 minutes in Hannover 96’s 2-0 loss to Stuttgart on Sunday.
- Sal Zizzo did not dress for Hannover 96.
- Brian Arguez did not dress in Hertha Berlin’s 4-1 loss to Bayern Munich on Sunday.
- Heath Pearce came off the bench and played 45 minutes in Hansa Rostock’s 1-0 loss to SC Freiburg on Monday.
- David Yelldell started, played 90 minutes and made three saves in TUS Koblenz’s 0-0 tie vs. SV Wehen.
- Matt Taylor started and played 69 minutes for TUS Koblenz.
- Grover Gibson started and played in Ahlen’s 2-1 win vs. 1860 Munich on Sunday.
- Gregg Berhalter dressed but did not play for 1860 Munich.
- Luis Robles dressed but did not play in Kaiserslautern’s 3-1 win vs. FC Ingolstadt on Friday.
- Jozy Altiore dressed but did not play in Villarreal’s 1-1 tie vs. Osasuna on Sunday.
- Danny Szetela started and played 90 minutes in Brescia’s 2-2 tie vs. Empoli on Saturday.
- Carlos Bocanegra started and played 90 minutes in Rennes’ 0-0 tie vs. Toulouse on Sunday.
- Freddy Adu came off the bench and played nine minutes in Monaco’s 1-0 loss to Grenoble on Saturday.
- Andrew Jacobson did not dress in Lorient’s 2-0 loss to Auxerre on Saturday.
- Quentin Westberg dressed but did not play in Troyes’ 1-0 loss to Nimes on Friday.
- Oguchi Onyewu started and played 90 minutes in Standard Liege’s 1-1 tie vs. Roeselare on Sunday.
- Danny Califf started and drew a 39th minute red card in FC Midtjylland’s 1-1 tie vs. Vejle on Monday.
- Jeremiah White started and played 90 minutes in AGF Aarhus’ 3-0 loss to FC Nordsjaelland on Sunday.
- Benny Feilhaber came off the bench and played 31 minutes for AGF Aarhus.
- Lee Nguyen did not dress in Randers’ 2-1 loss to Odense BK on Saturday.
- Jesus Padilla came off the bench and played 35 minutes, scoring a 90th minute equalizer to help Chivas de Guadalajara to a 1-1 tie against Morelia on Saturday.
- Jose Francisco Torres started and played 90 minutes in Pachuca’s 2-1 loss to Indios to Ciudad de Jaurez on Saturday.
- Marco Vidal started and played 45 minutes for Indios de Ciudad de Juarez.
- Daniel Hernandez started, played 90 minutes and drew a yellow card in Chiapas’ 1-1 tie with Puebla on Sunday.
- Michael Orozco did not dress in San Luis’ 1-0 loss to Atlante on Saturday.
If there are players I forgot to list feel free to list them below. Please remember that I’m trying to focus on first divisions and, in some cases, second divisions, so keep that in mind when suggesting players for the list. (I will include Norway and Sweden later on tonight.)
And lastly, it is poll time. Since the inclusion of Giuseppe Rossi in Americans Abroad last year caused such a stir, and Neven Subotic’s inclusion this year has already begun to stir debate, I have decided to leave it up to you, the SBI readers, on whether the two players will stay a part of the series (If more than 65 percent of readers vote no in either instance, the player will be removed for the rest of the year.):
Share your thoughts on how these Americans did last weekend, as well as the polls, in the comments section below.