Photo by ISIphotos.com
For the first time since the European Championships gripped us with its drama and great soccer, there will be TONS of international soccer to watch as World Cup qualifying kicks off around the world.
The European club soccer scene takes a weekend off for qualifying (I know, what a novelty) as all of the world’s best national teams take the field to take a step toward qualifying for World Cup 2010.
If you are craving some club soccer, MLS can satisfy that craving as some very juicy match-ups headline the league schedule.
Here are SBI’s Top Five matches to watch on TV this weekend:
- 1. USA vs. Cuba. The U.S. national team makes a historic trip to Cuba for this World Cup qualifier that has its share of mystery and should be more competitive than you might expect.
- 2. New York Red Bulls vs. Chicago Fire. Key East Coast clash has the added spice of Juan Carlos Osorio’s return to Toyota Park. Should be the best MLS match of the weekend.
- 3. Jamaica at Mexico. Originally scheduled to be played in Jamaica, this World Cup qualifier is a vital match in CONCACAF’s qualifying Group of Death.
- 4. Bosnia at Spain. The European Champions return to action in what should be one of the best matches of the day. Will Bojan Krkic make his Spain debut?
- 5. New England vs. Columbus. The top two teams in MLS square off in a battle to determine first place. Can the Revs overcome their injuries? Can the Crew stay hot?
Here is the rest of this weekend’s schedule of Soccer on TV:
- 8pm- FSC- Minnesota at Montreal
- 11pm- FSC- Kentucky at USCB
- 10am- GolTV- Azerbaijan at Wales
- Noon- Setanta USA- Turkey at Armenia
- 1:30pm- FSC- Denmark at Hungary
- 2pm- Setanta USA- Portugal at Malta
- 2:45pm- GolTV- Germany at Liechtenstein
- 4pm- Telefutura- Chivas USA at Toronto FC
- 4pm- FSC- Iran at Saudi Arabia
- 4pm- Setanta USA- France at Austria
- 4:45pm- GolTV- Bosnia at Spain
- 5:30pm- Telemundo- Jamaica at Mexico
- 6pm- FSC- Japan at Bahrain
- 6pm- Setanta USA- Italy vs. Cyprus
- 7:30pm- HDNet- New England Revolution at Columbus Crew
- 8pm- ESPN Classic and Telefutura- USA vs. Cuba
- 8pm- Setanta USA- Northern Ireland at Slovakia
- 8:30pm- FSC- New York Red Bulls at Chicago Fire
- Midnight- FSC- Belarus at Ukraine
- 3pm- Telefutura- Houston Dynamo at Kansas City Wizards
- 5:30pm- Setanta USA- Slovenia vs. Poland
- 7:15pm- Setanta USA- Ireland at Georgia
If I missed some matches (And I’m sure I did) please feel free to add them in the comments section and I will include them.
Which matches are you most looking forward to watching?
Share your thoughts below.