By JOHN BOSCHINI
After a tumultous reign as the head coach of D.C. United, Curt Onalfo is headed back to work.
The Los Angeles Galaxy announced that Onalfo, 41, will join the club as an assistant where he will be reunited with Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena, under whom he served as an assistant for the U.S. National team. Onalfo spent two and half seasons as the manager of the Kansas City Wizards (now known as Sporting Kansas City) before being dismissed. He was then hired as the head coach at D.C. but was let go after only eight months in August of last year.
Onalfo, who will also become the head coach of the reserve team, will replace Cobi Jones, who left earlier this month to join the New York Cosmos.
Here are some more stories to wrap up your Thursday.
VAN DER SAR RETIRING AT THE END OF THE SEASON
Just a few days after aging Manchester United stars Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs made announcements about their futures with the Red Devils, long-time goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar said that he will retire at the end of the season at the age of 40. The former Dutch international has made 174 appearances for Manchester United after joining the Red Devils from Fulham in 2005. The keeper said he made the decision to spend more time with his family, including his wife, who suffered a brain hemorrhage more than a year ago.
Reports out of England suggest that Maarten Stekelenburg of Ajax, German international Manuel Neuer and Atletico Madrid's David de Gea are being eyed as possible replacements.
EGYPT SUSPENDS WEEKEND FIXTURES
The Egyptian Football Federation has decided to postpone this weekend's premier league matches due to rising political unrest. The announcement comes just 13 days before the United States is due to travel to Cairo to take on Egypt in an international friendly but neither federation has announced any plans to cancel the match.
BUSQUETS SIGNS BARCELONA EXTENSION
Sergio Busquets has signed an extension with Barcelona that will keep the midfielder at the Camp Nou until 2015. The move comes a few days after reports emerged that a number of clubs were interested in the 22-year-old's services. The contract includes a buyout clause of 150 million euros.
INTER PREPPING MASSIVE BID FOR BALE
Gareth Bale's days with Tottenham could be numbered as The Guardian reports that Inter Milan is preparing a 40 million pound summer bid. The Welsh international has seen his stock skyrocket over the past 12 months and it is rumored that Real Madrid is also interested. If the bid is made for the 21-year-old, it would be a record for a British player.
What do you think of tonight's stories? Can Onalfo help the Galazy? Will you miss seeing van der Sar in goal for Manchester United? Worried about the future of the USA vs. Egypt friendly?
Share your thoughts below.