By FRANCO PANIZO
Sacha Kljestan and RSC Anderlecht returned to league action this weekend for the first time since December, and they both picked up right where they left off.
RSC Anderlecht continued its winning ways with a 3-0 victory over third-place Club Brugge on Sunday. As has become the norm this season, Kljestan started and went the distance in the game. Kljestan also picked up a yellow card in first-half stoppage time of a match that kept Anderlecht in first place of the Pro League.
Landon Donovan and Everton did not win this weekend, but the U.S. international delivered a sublime assist that helped the Toffees avoid defeat against Aston Villa. Attacking from the left flank, Donovan cut in and dribbled before picking out Victor Anichebe with a defense-splitting pass. The assist was Donovan's second since rejoining the club, and it earned Everton a 1-1 draw against the Villans.
Michael Bradley and Chievo Verona were on the winning end of their game this weekend, as they topped Palermo, 1-0. Bradley, who already speaks Italian, played all 90 minutes in the win, the 16th time he has done that in 17 league appearances this season.
Here is how the Americans Abroad fared this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made 6 saves in Everton's 1-1 draw vs. Aston Villa on Saturday.
- Landon Donovan started, played 90 minutes and had an ASSIST for Everton.
- Marcus Hahnemann did not dress for Everton.
- Clint Dempsey started and played 90 minutes in Fulham's 3-1 loss vs. Blackburn Rovers on Saturday.
- Brad Friedel started, played 90 minutes and made 2 saves in Tottenham Hotspur's 1-1 draw vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday.
- Brad Guzan dressed but did not play in Aston Villa's 1-1 draw vs. Everton on Saturday.
- Eric Lichaj did not dress for Aston Villa. He is recovering from a hip injury.
- Stuart Holden did not dress in Bolton Wanderers' 3-0 loss vs. Manchester United on Saturday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Zak Whitbread started and played 90 minutes in Norwich City's 2-1 win vs. West Bromwich Albion on Saturday.
- Adam Henley dressed but did not play in Blackburn Rovers' 3-1 win vs. Fulham on Saturday.
- Jonathan Spector started and played 90 minutes in Birmingham City's 6-0 win vs. Millwall on Saturday.
- Conor Doyle did not dress in Derby County's 1-0 win vs. Coventry City on Saturday.
- Robbie Findley came off the bench and played 18 minutes in Nottingham Forest's 3-0 loss vs. Southampton on Saturday.
- Daniel Potts did not dress in West Ham United's 1-0 win vs. Portsmouth on Saturday.
- George John did not dress for West Ham United.
- Frank Simek and Carlisle United's match vs. Milton Keynes Dons was postponed due to the field being frozen.
- Anton Peterlin started and played 90 minutes in Walsall's 0-0 draw vs. Brentford on Saturday.
- Mike Grella did not dress in Brentford's 0-0 draw vs. Walsall on Saturday.
- Maurice Edu started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Rangers' 2-1 win vs. St Johnstone on Saturday.
- Carlos Bocanegra started, played 90 minutes and scored an own goal for Rangers.
- Alejandro Bedoya dressed but did not play for Rangers.
- Dominic Cervi did not dress in Celtic's 2-1 win vs. Dundee United on Saturday.
- Michael Bradley started and played 90 minutes in Chievo Verona's 1-0 win vs. Palermo on Sunday.
- Quentin Westberg dressed but did not play in Evian Thonon Gaillard's 3-1 loss vs. Dijon FCO on Saturday.
- Oguchi Onyewu started and played 90 minutes in Sporting CP's 2-1 loss vs. Braga on Sunday.
- Sacha Kljestan started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in RSC Anderlecht's 3-0 win vs. Club Brugge on Sunday.
- Jose Torres started and played 90 minutes in Pachuca's 3-1 win vs. Puebla on Saturday.
- Herculez Gomez dressed but did not play in Santos Laguna's 2-1 win vs. Atlante on Saturday.
- Sonny Guadarrama came off the bench and played 2 minutes in Atlante's 2-1 loss vs. Santos Laguna on Saturday.
- Jonathan Bornstein did not dress in Tigres UANL's 1-0 win vs. Queretaro on Saturday.
- DaMarcus Beasley came off the bench and played 28 minutes in Puebla's 3-1 loss vs. Pachuca on Saturday.
- Adrian Ruelas did not dress in Jaguares de Chiapas' 3-1 win vs. Chivas de Guadalajara on Saturday.
- Michael Orozco started and played 90 minutes in San Luis' 2-0 win vs. Estudiantes Tecos U.A. de G. on Friday.
- Edgar Castillo started and played 90 minutes in Club Tijuana's 1-0 win vs. Monterrey on Saturday.
- Joe Corona came off the bench and played 32 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- Greg Garza did not dress for Club Tijuana.
What do you think of these performances? Does Kljestan deserve another look with the U.S. men's national team? How many times have you watched that Donovan assist this weekend? Impressed at how quickly Bradley has adapted to Serie A and life in Italy?
Share your thoughts below.