By FRANCO PANIZO
The new year has started brightly for Tim Ream and Bolton Wanderers.
Playing in Bolton’s opening FA Cup fixture, Ream helped lead his side to a 1-0 home win over Wigan Athletic on Saturday. The versatile Ream was deployed at left back, and helped the Potters post a cleansheet with a 90-minute shift that pushed them into the tournament’s fourth round. The victory was Bolton’s third in its last four games across all competitions.
For Eric Lichaj and Nottingham Forest, things did not go according to plan. The Reds were bounced out of the FA Cup almost as quickly as they got in, suffering a 1-0 defeat to Rochdale on Saturday that extended their current losing streak in all competitions to seven match. Lichaj played from whistle to whistle in the road game.
Gedion Zelalem did not see the field for Arsenal in their tournament clash with Hull City, but the teenager did dress vs. Hull City in what was a minor positive from a weekend light on European action. Zelalem – who this week became an American citizen and wants to play for the U.S. Men’s National Team – and Arsenal advanced with a 2-0 victory on Sunday.
Here is how the Americans Abroad did this weekend:
- Jozy Altidore did not dress in Sunderland’s 1-0 win vs. Leeds United in the FA Cup on Sunday.
- Brad Guzan dressed but did not play in Aston Villa’s 1-0 win vs. Blackpool in the FA Cup on Sunday.
- Brad Friedel and Tottenham Hotspur play Burnley in the FA Cup on Monday.
- Geoff Cameron started and played 76 minutes in Stoke City’s 3-1 win vs. Wrexham in the FA Cup on Sunday.
- Gedio Zelalem dressed but did not play in Arsenal’s 2-0 win vs. Hull City in the FA Cup on Sunday.
- Jonathan Spector did not dress in Birmingham City’s 3-2 win vs. Blyth Spartans in the FA Cup on Saturday.
- Will Packwood did not dress for Birmingham City. He is recovering from an injury.
- Tim Ream started and played 90 minutes in Bolton Wanderers’ 1-0 win vs. Wigan Athletic in the FA Cup on Saturday.
- Eric Lichaj started and played 90 minutes in Nottingham Forest’s 1-0 loss vs. Rochdale in the FA Cup on Saturday.
- Danny Williams started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Reading’s 1-0 win vs. Huddersfield Town in the FA Cup on Saturday.
- Emerson Hyndman did not dress in Fulham’s 0-0 draw vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers in the FA Cup on Saturday.
- Zak Whitbread did not dress in Derby County’s 1-0 win vs. Southport in the FA Cup on Saturday.
- Oguchi Onyewu did not dress in Charlton Athletic’s 2-1 loss vs. Blackburn Rovers in the FA Cup on Saturday.
- Alejandro Bedoya started, played 54 minutes and received a yellow card in FC Nantes’ 4-0 win vs. Club Franciscain in the Coupe de France on Saturday.
What do you think of these performances? How far do you see Ream and Bolton going in the FA Cup? What do Lichaj and the Reds need to do to snap this losing streak?
Share your thoughts below.