By FRANCO PANIZO
In a match-up involving two of the three Americans who regularly see the field in the English Premier League, it was Geoff Cameron who helped his team come out on top with a solid performance off the bench.
Stoke City defeated Everton, 2-0, on Wednesday to pick up its third straight league victory, and Cameron played a part in making it happen by turning in a 73-minute shift as a substitute. Cameron was thrust into duty in the early going after a teammate went down with an injury, and the versatile American slotted in at centerback. Cameron then helped Stoke record a second straight shutout while simultaneously handing Tim Howard and the Toffees their second successive 2-0 defeat.
The other starting goalkeeper in England’s top division was able to come out victorious in his side’s game, and the triumph ended a winless run that stretched back to early December. Brad Guzan and Aston Villa defeated West Bromwich Albion, 2-1, at home on Tuesday, giving the Villans their first victory in 13 games and helping them move three points clear of the drop zone. Guzan did not make any saves in the match, but will have a chance to do so again this weekend when Aston Villa again welcomes the Baggies in an FA Cup quarterfinals fixture.
Two other Americans contributed to their team’s respective victories, as Amando Moreno and Conor O’Brien both made plays that allowed for more breathing room. Moreno scored the insurance goal and second of his career in Club Tijuana’s 2-0 Copa MX victory against Universidad de Guadalajara on Tuesday, and O’Brien delivered the assist on the final goal in Wiener Neustadt’s 3-1 triumph over Grodig a day later.
Here is how the Americans Abroad did during the midweek action:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made one save in Everton’s 2-0 loss vs. Stoke City on Wednesday.
- Brad Guzan started and played 90 minutes in Aston Villa’s 2-1 win vs. West Bromwich Albion on Tuesday.
- DeAndre Yedlin did not dress in Tottenham Hotspur’s 3-2 win vs. Swansea City on Wednesday.
- Brad Friedel did not dress for Tottenham Hotspur.
- Geoff Cameron came off the bench and played 73 minutes in Stoke City’s 2-0 win vs. Everton on Wednesday.
- Gedion Zelalem did not dress in Arsenal’s 2-1 win vs. Queens Park Rangers on Wednesday.
- Jonathan Spector started and played 90 minutes in Birmingham City’s 1-0 win vs. Blackpool on Wednesday.
- Will Packwood did not dress for Birmingham City.
- Tim Ream started and played 90 minutes in Bolton Wanderers’ 1-1 draw vs. Reading on Tuesday.
- Eric Lichaj started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Nottingham Forest’s 2-1 loss vs. Charlton Athletic on Tuesday.
- Danny Williams came off the bench and played 12 minutes in Reading’s 1-1 draw vs. Bolton Wanderers on Tuesday.
- Emerson Hyndman did not dress in Fulham’s 1-0 loss vs. Watford on Tuesday. He is recovering from an injury.
- Zak Whitbread did not dress in Derby County’s 2-0 loss vs. Brighton & Hove Albion on Tuesday. He is recovering from an injury.
- Oguchi Onyewu did not dress in Charlton Athletic’s 2-1 win vs. Nottingham Forest on Tuesday.
- Fabian Johnson came of the bench and played 16 minutes in Borussia Moenchengladbach’s 2-0 win vs. OFC Kickers 1901 in DFB Pokal on Wednesday.
- Joe Gyau did not dress in Borussia Dortmund’s 2-0 win vs. Dynamo Dresden in DFB Pokal on Tuesday.
- Terrence Boyd did not dress in RB Leipzig’s 2-0 loss vs. VfL Wolfsburg in DFB Pokal on Wednesday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Conor O’Brien started, played 90 minutes and had an ASSIST in FC Magna Wiener Neustadt’s 3-1 win vs. SV Grodig on Wednesday.
- Hercules Gomez started and played 90 minutes in Puebla’s 1-0 win vs. Toluca in Copa MX on Wednesday.
- Michael Orozco did not dress for Puebla.
- Alejandro Guido started and played 90 minutes in Club Tijuana’s 2-0 win vs. Universidad de Guadalajara in Copa MX on Tuesday.
- Amando Moreno started, played 87 minutes and scored a GOAL for Club Tijuana.
- Paul Arriola started and played 83 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- John Requejo dressed but did not play for Club Tijuana.
- Greg Garza did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Joe Corona did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Fernando Arce Jr did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Edgar Castillo started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Atlas’ 2-0 loss vs. Colo Colo in the Copa Libertadores on Wednesday.
- Ventura Alvarado started and played 59 minutes in Club America’s 2-0 win vs. Saprissa in the second leg of their CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinals series on Wednesday. Club America advanced via a 5-0 aggregate score.
- Jonathan Bornstein started and played 90 minutes in Queretaro’s 2-2 draw vs. Santos Laguna in Copa MX on Tuesday.
What do you think of these performances? Where do you see Cameron and Stoke finishing in the Premiership table? Will this win catapult Aston Villa and Guzan into a strong run of form that will help them avoid relegation?
Share your thoughts below.