Leon goalkeeper William Yarbrough confirms USMNT call-up

william-yarbrough

By RYAN TOLMICH

The U.S. Men’s National Team’s roster is set to be released on Sunday, and one of the players that apparently will be included is William Yarbrough.

The Club Leon goalkeeper said Thursday that he is set to join the USMNT for the team’s European friendlies against Denmark and Switzerland on March 25 and 31, respectively. Yarbrough, who was born in Mexico to parents hailing from Texas, has played 68 matches for Leon, all as a starter, since making his debut in March of 2013.

“It’s been confirmed, the call-up from the United States has arrived at the club for the games on March 25 and 31,” said Yarbrough, who turns 26 on Friday, at a press conference. “I’m happy, very thankful to (Jurgen) Klinsmann for tracking me.

“Independent of how many goalkeepers there may be (in front of me), I’m not scared of competing,”

Yarbrough, who won consecutive league titles with Leon last season, had previously been on Mexico’s radar. Miguel Hererra’s side will need six goalkeepers this summer for the team’s Gold Cup and Copa America rosters, and Yarbrough was in contention for a spot.

However, Herrera says that he is not interested in getting into a battle with the U.S. for Yarbrough’s future and will instead focus on a different crop of goalkeepers.

“There are eight goalkeepers the same level as Yarbrough in Mexico,” said Herrera. “I’m not calling him up just to take him away from the United States.”

What do you think of Yarbrough’s call-up? How does he compare to the USMNT’s current crop of goalkeepers?

Comments

1. It is pretty lame that so many commenters here seem to feel that their own personal predjudices regarding race , ethnicity or whether a player was “developed” in the US should be applied regarding who should be allowed to play for the National team.

The rules are pretty clear about who is eligible.

The coach selects the players he thinks would be best from among all the players who are eligible.

If you do not like the rules, blame FIFA, if you think the player is not good enough blame the coach. The player(s) involved are not subject to blame.

2. I don’t understand why everyone is so worked up over this, Obama wasn’t born in the US and nobody seems to care.( LOL)

3. Lipstick in a pig. We can recruit as many players as we want it doesn’t change the fact that we can’t develop a Polaroid much less a a competitive soccer team.
    I know other countries do it, the difference is that they bring a random player to compliment their squads while we try to build a whole team with them just like Qatar does

• Can we trust Howard vs. Hungary? Can we trust Guzan vs. Poland? Johnson vs. Jamaica??? OMG Hamid vs whatever country with tanned people????

Yarbrough is our only hope since he is the only one whose BOTH parents are American.

4. Some of the comments above are unbelievable. I am American, married to Venezuelan and my kids were born in Venezuela. They were raised in Central and South America. They both speak fluent Spanish and English as well. And they are both have US passports and are 100% Americans as much as you are. Last time I checked, the only job they would not be allowed to have is as President of the United States since they were born overseas.

William has every right to play for US team and I wish him well. He also has every right to play for Mexico and that should not be considered “Poaching” either. The world is becoming global and more and more of our players are likely to have mixed, international heritage. Get over it.

• You are talking too much sense Dave. These guys will only accept people in the USMNT whose ancestors arrived on the Mayflower and nobody in their family ever ever set foot outside the country.

You have a grandparent who fought in WWII? Too bad, you fake American. Was your great-aunt walking her dog near the Canadian border and the dog ate some moose dung? Eff off you mercenary.

• Being born outside the US isn’t necessarily a disqualification for US president.

A memorandum to Congress dated April 3, 2009, written by the Congressional Research Service (CRS), states:

Considering the history of the constitutional qualifications provision, the common use and meaning of the phrase “natural-born subject” in England and in the Colonies in the 1700s, the clause’s apparent intent, the subsequent action of the first Congress in enacting the Naturalization Act of 1790 (expressly defining the term “natural born citizen” to include a person born abroad to parents who are United States citizens), as well as subsequent Supreme Court dicta, it appears that the most logical inferences would indicate that the phrase “natural born Citizen” would mean a person who is entitled to U.S. citizenship “at birth” or “by birth”.

Consider that Ted Cruz was born outside the US to a US citizen parent & he is actively campaigning to be president.

5. People forget one big advantage to have a GK pulled from LigaMX… that means one less GK taken from an MLS squad to sit on the bench during friendlies. We only have a couple of starting GKs overseas (and one is on leave), so why not take from a non-MLS team? JK has to keep the local boys from getting too upset with callups during the season.

6. The US Constitution is quite clear about what makes someone an American as is FIFA regarding who is eligible to represent a nation. Although I wouldn’t deny anyone’s right to have one, the repeated hand wringing and indignant opinions regarding what individuals “feel” makes someone an American or “American enough” every time a duel national gets a call up are a pointless exercise and inconsistent with what matters. In the end, it all circles back to the bottom line: Is he eligible by the rule of law, and good enough in fair open competition. Here’s free my opinion: Those principles seem pretty freaking American to me.

• Self righteous nonsense. A free willed person/player- not property, is being given an opportunity perfectly acceptable in common practice and by law. He is free to accept or decline with no repercussions. Options are being given, not withheld. Nothing is being “taken” from anybody, nobody being forced to do anything. Clubs in one country quite commonly develop players from another. They do so for commercial interest that has nothing to do with nationalism/patriotism and doesn’t bind that player to that clubs nation as an indentured servant.

7. Yarbrough is a quality keeper. Whether his heart is in the USMNT or El Tri is yet to been seen. Idk the Mexican keeper depth chart but for the US he could slide into 3rd behind Rimando and Guzan and in front of Hamid and Johnson. Still would like to see Clark, Cropper soon enough maybe MacMath or Antinella if they ever get consistent PT. But the keeper pool isn’t endless and there isn’t much that it really above average to make me say that what Herrera is saying apply to the US as well

• Herrera is blowing some smoke. I don’t know how good Yarbrough is, but his resume so far deserves a look. Mexico has only called 4 GK since the World Cup (including the incumbents) and they are all in their 30’s.

• for better or worse Herrera is a brutally honest guy, he said in an interview that he already had his 5 keepers for the summer and the last one was still undecided, he mentioned that William could be one of the candidates if he had a good season but also mentioned other names, that was like a month before Klinsmann went to Mexico to scout Yarbrough.

8. Importing Mexican players is one thing but a keeper? That’s the one position we’re supposed to better at developing.
    This is getting ridiculous. I say if we can’t develop 11 players good enough to take us to the second round of the World Cup then we need to get out of the football business until we figure this player development thing out. Let’s stick to basketball and golf or whatever sport we are best at at the moment.
    Seriously, a keeper?

• The amount of whining on this site is unreal. You want your coach to call in any and every quality player to AT LEAST have a look at them in camp. Why wouldn’t you call in a 25 yr old guy who has been 2 year starter in a better league (and yes Liga MX is better). How many 25 yr olds who are 2 year starters has Klinsmann not looked at in MLS?

Klinsmann is a manager who looks at a lot of players, which is a good thing. He has invited over 70 players to camps in the past year alone. Let’s try that again, he has looked at over 70 players in the last year alone. Doing things like that, helps you find players like Besler, find places for players like Beckerman to add value. If he beats out Hamid, Johnson, Cropper, and he’s American, he could be playing in Antarctica for all I care.

9. If Klinsmann wants players making the move to Europe he needs to be giving them minutes younger. Does anyone think Yedlin would be at Tottenham now if, he was just playing in Seattle? Maybe Agudelo would have got his work permit, if he got some of the minutes Wondo did. Klinsmann waits until these MLS players are 30 then wonders why there’s no interest in Europe.

• It is the player’s job to push, challenge or replace the players in front of them. Yedlin plays a positions that the US is/was weak in right wingback. Besides, that really only applies to the EPL. Yedlin not sticking in Europe has nothing to do with Klinsman, but a lot more to do with him. He was obsessed with the overrated EPL. He opportunity in the Eredivisie, as well Bundesliga, but did want it.

• Wow…not only was my response barely coherent, but I referenced the wrong guy. I meant “AGUDELO not sticking in Europe has nothing to do with Klinsman, but a lot more to do with him. He was obsessed with the overrated EPL”

I should not multi-task while responding.

10. I’m pretty sure this guy has said he’s More Mexican than American. Klinsi over valuing players in the mex league. The top goalie in the mex liga would be like the 6th or 7th best goalie in MLS

• yeah he has said he feels mexican
      /watch?v=frhcgRSDQGk 0:30 mark he says he supports Mexico over the USA and that “his heart is mexican”
      The top keeper in Liga MX starts for Argentina so I doubt your statement about goalies is right, I think that guys like Jesus Corona (at his prime) and Cirilo Saucedo would have been top 5 in MLS, the problem is that Yarbrough is not even top 5 in Liga MX.

• Wow, that is a pretty damning video that I bet he is regretting today. Yeah, the ONLY reason he is accepting being called by Klinsmann is because Herrera didn’t call him and he doesn’t think it will ever happen.

• Here’s the translation of the video for the non-bilinguals. 😉

Starting at 0:30:

“To be honest, I always root for Mexico. My heart is Mexican. I may have American blood, but my heart is 100% Mexican, and whenever they play each other I root for Mexico. In my family’s case, they ask me, ‘Who are you rooting for, son?’ ‘For Mexico.’ ‘Oh, us too.'”

• This is worse than any other foreign call up. Mix and everyone else at least said they are both. He out and out said he roots for Mex. I don’t blame him he was born their and raised there by anti American Benedict Arnolds who turned coat and turned their backs on their native country

• The possible flip side is: Yarbrough pledged to USMNT in spite of Mexican interest in his skills. Herrera sends a smokescreen to save face and downplay Yarbrogh’s selection.

• Responding to my comment above:
        I say this as someone who has changed decisions or mindsets for one reason or another. If he’s good enough to play, then here’s his opportunity to earn it.

11. As an American who lives abroad (Brasil) and would one day love for his future son to play for the USMNT, I see no problem with this kid playing for either team. The world isn’t black and white, surely he feels like he is from both places just like my future kids will. Does living in another country make you any less American? I don’t think so.

• “Does living in another country make you any less American? I don’t think so.” – That sentence is debatable depending on where people stand. Does it make you less American? No. But what if you stayed in Brasil and had your children there and they grew up in Brasil and never lived in the United States. Does that make your children less American? There are plenty of people out there that will say yes.

• Living in America for some of your life doesn’t make you less American but you can’t be American if you’ve never lived here. Seems obvious to me. I actually had never heard of Yarbrough before today (unfortunately don’t watch much LigaMX, there’s only so many hours to watch soccer per week). Dude should probably play for Mexico but since he can’t get a look in with them, he’ll play for us. It’s less of a stretch than the Germericans, or AJ or Mix. The comments on this article are pretty surprising – usually people are ready to throw a party when it’s confirmed we’re getting some other country’s sloppy seconds.

• “The comments on this article are pretty surprising – usually people are ready to throw a party when it’s confirmed we’re getting some other country’s sloppy seconds” – You shouldn’t be surprised Slow. The big difference is that Yarbrough isn’t European. You know that alot of people on this site immediately give any European player more value. Yarbrough is Mexican and a goalkeeper. Not enough to get people excited.

• “…you can’t be American if you’ve never lived here. Seems obvious to me.”

-> Nope, seems pretty ignorant to me. Slow and UCLA are kindred spirits and had a meeting of the (small) minds.

I had a friend who was born and raised in Hong
        Kong to 2 American parents (his father did internal finance), and only came back for the Christmas holidays every other year. Not only was he legally American, but he felt VERY American.

• Hmm I’d love to have some sort of intellectual contest to see who’s mind is “smaller” but not possible. Besides it just internet talk on your part. Anyways, Slow is the one that said the above not me, don’t group us together. Also, your friend from Hong Kong is not a USMNT player. USA the country and the USMNsoccerT should be thought of differently. Also, I am guessing your friend would have already been American, not a situation where a USMNT employee recruits him, then tells him to get his citizenship, so that he could play soccer for the USMNT. If you don’t get the difference, then you have the small mind.

• Where do you get “Also, I am guessing your friend would have already been American, not a situation where a USMNT employee recruits him, then tells him to get his citizenship, so that he could play soccer for the USMNT”.

->All of the guys were Americans by birthright with the exception of Zelalem. You do know that, right?

• “you can’t be American if you’ve never lived here. Seems obvious to me.” That frankly seems to me pretty weird. I have 3 cousins that live in Peru who visit the US twice every year but have never lived here. Their dad is American and they all speak perfect American english, support the usmnt, know more about American culture and history than many people who lived here their whole lives. But in the mighty eyes of slowleft they are not American.

• That is ignorant. My kids were born in Honduras and were Americans as soon as I reported their birth at the embassy.

• Legally anyone born on US Soil or who has a parent who is a US Citizen is Eligible for US Citizenship and hence eligible to represent the USNTs. However, SLOW & UCLA, believe that the Constitution should be amended to include a Minimum of 5 years of AYSO experience before Citizenship can be achieved.

• Nah -1. Your sarcastic argument sounds clever but isn’t really because not only are you putting words in my mouth, you are arguing a different point. First of all I am not Slow, I argue different things. He is the one that said the “you can’t be American if you’ve never lived here”. Second of all, you guys bring up the constitution and anecdotes about your children, all irrelevant. As I said above, The USMNT is not United States the country. I am not saying people’s passports should be stripped away. The USMNT is a soccer team that represents and is a symbol of soccer in our country. All I have said is that I find it annoying to see it composed of players that became U.S. citizens simply for the purpose of playing soccer. And yes, not all but many of the German players were recruited, then told to get their citizenship, so that they could play soccer for the USMNT. I wonder if they would have pursued it otherwise?

• Wow…they more I read your comments, the more annoyed I become.
        1) Understand something if you are going to reference it. You state “All I have said is that I find it annoying to see it composed of players that became U.S. citizens simply for the purpose of playing soccer”. None of tthese guys became citizens for the purpose of becoming USMNT players. They were ALL citizens as of birth with the exception of GZ.

2) “Second of all, you guys bring up the constitution and anecdotes about your children, all irrelevant. As I said above, The USMNT is not United States the country. I am not saying people’s passports should be stripped away. The USMNT is a soccer team that represents and is a symbol of soccer in our country.”

-> Actually it is relevant. If a player can prove he is good enough and not being allowed on the team base upon race, sex or national origin (German born American) then he has grounds for a suit against the USSF based on Constitutional law.

• I think it does, by your logic all the Mexican-Americans are really Mexican, Irish-Americans are really Irish, and so on. Your kids will be Brasilian and will root for Brasil, deal with it. Be thankful a country took you in and gave you an opportunity..

• +1000

Americans get over yourselves and realize that anyone with a passport is eligible! That’s it! You don’t have to have family in the Civil War or go to Main Street Middle School to qualify for the National Team.

Personally I love Jürgen’s leave no rock unturned across the world approach.

Froboy, best of luck to your American-Brazilian son!

• Any of you guys know who Becky Hammon, a nice American girl from South Dakota, is?

She was a great WNBA player, who is currently the first full time female assistant coach in any of the four major professional sports in North America.

She works for the San Antonio Spurs.

She also played in the Olympics for Russia.

Look it up. It’s an interesting story in light of this thread topic.

• I remember reading about her before the Olympics and she basically stated that since she was not getting a look from the US team, and that she was eligible to play for Russia, she opted to play for Russia. As stated before, this is not new. Russia adopted that South Korean short track skater who I think had more Olympic medals in that sport than anyone else because South Korea thought he wasn’t good enough anymore to medal (I think he got Gold for Russia…maybe two). There are also nearly countless examples of this with other national teams around the world including amongst most top tier teams. Granted we may have more than they do, but this is almost commonplace nowadays and I would imagine will continue to be in the future. At least we know we won’t have more foreign players in our lineup in Qatar than Qatar will.

12. I had already read this on the Four Letters’s website. I like how the Mexican media asked Yarbrough is he knew the U.S. national anthem. He said he did.

This is one of the few cases (if only?) I can remember of a Mexican born and raised player accepting a call-up to the USMNT. Yarbrough’s claim to U.S. citizenship is through his parents being Americans (Texans). They went to Mexico as missionaries and stayed there.

Whether you like it or not, mercenaries are a big part of soccer and will continue to be. At least Klinsmann has decided to go shopping somewhere else this time instead of his preferred German store.

I saw on another article people debating/discussing why Mix and Iceman don’t get as much negative attention as the other dual-nationals on the USMNT. I didn’t see anyone bring up the most obvious answer which is, they aren’t German! It’s all about perception and the optics. Something about a German coach, who has clearly shown and said that he has a German/Euro bias when it comes to soccer, actively looking to hunt for and bring in as many German “passport” Americans as he can find, to make up the roster for the U.S. national team, leaves a bad taste in your mouth! You might not agree with people that feel that way, but I don’t see how you can’t at least understand where they are coming from.

As for me, I am not yet sure where I stand on it. Sometimes it annoys me and sometimes I don’t care. One thing I am convinced about though is that it would be less controversial if our coach were American. Like I said, its all about perception. German coach bringing in German mercenary players because he feels the American players are no good. Not a good look my friends.

• I agree, in this case William IS a mercenary, he has literally said he feels mexican and not american in interviews but he still accepts a call from Klinsmann coincidentally a couple of weeks after Herrera says he is 7th option for Mexico at best.

• “I agree, in this case William IS a mercenary, he has literally said he feels mexican and not american in interviews”

You beat me to it. I remember a few years ago when he was with Mexico’s U-20 I think there was an interview on Mediotiempo with him. I remember him saying he didn’t feel American at all and wasn’t interested in ever representing the US. Of course, now that he’s 25 and still hasn’t received a call up from Mexico, his tune has changed.

• “after Herrera says he is 7th option for Mexico at best.”
        I find that hard to understand considering Memo Ochoa rides the bench for Malaga and was called up for this month’s friendlies.

• I live in México for work, about 40 minutes from León and am a huge fan of the club. I watch every match and go to almost all home matches live. I guarantee you, the team’s fall back to mediocrity has nothing to do with Yarbrough, but laziness on the defenders’ part. If anything, Yarbrough’s strong play is one of the few reasons León still has a shot at the playoffs. In last Saturday’s match against Cruz Azul, he brilliantly stopped a penalty (his second in as many matches), only to have his defense fail to trail the play and allow the attacker score easily on the rebound. That’s just the kind of season it’s been.

• Two penalties stopped in back-2-back matches? That’ll get you a call up anywhere.

Not poaching, just a friendly.

• UclaBruinGreat –
      The use of Duel Nationals (especially German-Americans) playing for the USA is not limited or excelerated by the fact that we have a German as the Head Coach. Sampson, Arena, Bradley and others previously have all sought the best possible players for the national team. It may appear as if the current regime has targeted more, but if anything they’ve just been more successful. Jones, Fabian, Williams & Mix were all orinally targets of BB…Jones & Mix was capped under BB before he was fired. Boyd, Green, & Brooks, were targets of the old U-20 coach, but didn’t commit until Jurgen took over.
      I think you’ll find if you look back over each of the US Coaching Regime that a fair portion of each has been made up of Duel-Nationals…be they Dutch, French, South American, German, Canadian, or other. The biggest difference between then & now is that more people in the US are paying attention to the sport and the quality of the players we are getting has become better than those in the past.
      Another thing to consider on this topic is that the US actually has a greater capacity than many other nations to have players with multiple nationalities. We have military bases all over the world, we have some of the best colleges, an environment which is tollerant of most any nationality/background, and a high standard of life.

• I don’t disagree with what you are saying. I know previous coaches have also done the same and I didn’t say that they didn’t. I stand by what I said though, that a German coach bringing in a large amount of players from his country of origin, is a big factor at play here. A player being brought in here and there by previous coaches is a lot different than the large amount under our current regime. To cement my point, let me show you what our 2018 starting line-up could realistically be for the World Cup:

———————-Boyd———————-
        Green———–Zelalem——Bedoya/Zardes
        ——–Bradley—-D Williams/A morales—-
        F Johnson—Brooks—-Jones—–Chandler
        ——————-Guzan—————————

That’s right my friends, count em out. 8 out of the 11 positions are German. Could be more if you move F Johnson to midfield and put someone like Gotz in defense, or if Bradley is supplanted by either Morales or Williams. What if Jurgen gets the Parker brothers to commit?

• Zardes is Ghanian by descent!

Who cares! They are ALL Americans now.

We are a nation of immigrant and NOBODY should care if you, or your parents or Grandparents were born in Glasgow, Dublin, Stuttgart or Torrance, Ca. If you have a legal right to be a Citizen and to hold a US Passport and have not represented another country under the rules of FIFA,
        your good to go.

Any mention of a starting lineup for the 2018 should include Juninho (galaxy) or Dwyer,(SKC) who will most likely be foreign born US Citizens by then.

• Who cares? Lot’s of USMNT fans do.

Your example is lame. Zardes was born in Hawthorne, CA and has lived here his whole life. Completely different than the other situations we are discussing.

Yarbrough also thinks nationalistically, even though he is now accepting a USMNT call-up because of its benefits. He has said that he roots for Mexico and that his heart is Mexican. That when USA and Mexico plays against each other he roots for Mexico.

• Remember that Yarbrough provided those answers primarily for the Mexican press. That’s what they wanted to hear.

• Don’t say “lots” of USMNT fans care. You are using anecdotal evidence from one of 2 website which a VERY small population of the world responds to.

My experience is that most people DO NOT care. However, if you want to run a survey, go ahead.

• Ok so my experience is that a lot of people care and yours that people don’t care. Ok that’s fine, we have different experiences, but both are anecdotal, not just mine.

• You are also making up your own ridiculous rules as to what makes Americans. All that matters is what the Constitution says. Besides, the arbitrary rule that being born and raised in a country is hollow. Especially since in a lot of countries throughout the world (most of Europe/Africa/Asia) simply being born and raised in a country does not legally make you a citizen if neither or your parents is a citizen.

• Please show me where I laid out my rules for being American. This is an argument that many people use but it is besides the point. The USMNT is not United States the country. I am not saying people’s passports should be stripped away. The USMNT is a soccer team that represents and is a symbol of soccer in our country. All I have said is that I find it annoying to see it composed of players that became U.S. citizens simply for the purpose of playing soccer. And yes, not all but many of the German players were recruited, then told to get their citizenship, so that they could play soccer for the USMNT. I wonder if they would have pursued it otherwise?

• I know I am raining on your hate-parade, but all of the Germans on the team are Americans by birthright, They did not have to become American citizens. They only had to switch team allegiance. The only guy that to “”become” is Zelalem, but the kid is really American of Ethiopian heritage.

• JK brings in a lot of dual national players with German backgrounds, because wonder of wonders, he has a lot of contacts there.

Go figure.

And it just so happens the US has historically had a strong military presence there.

Even before JK the US has had a strong connection with German soccer. Tom Dooley, Mike Mason, David Wagner , Yeldell, Jermaine Jones, etc. etc, were all pre JK USMNT players with German backgrounds. And Germany has had sons of US servicemen like Erwin Kostedde and Jimmy Hartwig, play for them.

Maybe if you knew more about the history of the USMNT you would not find JK’s reliance on players with German backgrounds so disturbing.

Besides JK has shown an interest in our Liga MX players from early on like Orozco, Castillo, Torres, Gomez, Corona or maybe you forgot them.

• GW, you are right; and It goes back a lot further. There was a time when the joke was that the unofficial language of the US national team was German. That was in the late ’60s and early ’70s. The operative word is joke . The person who told me this was a Hungarian-born German who immigrated to the USA and is among the USA’s most accomplished soccer coaches. He played for the USMNT in the late ’60s I believe. You can also go back through the archives of the USMNT and see how many players were not born in the USA who were capped between 1965 and 1985 if you do not believe him.

• I’ve got to think that part of Klinnsman’s tendency in calling up German players is based on his familiarity with the system and culture. He has a much better idea of what he is getting sight unseen from a particular player based strictly his CV as opposed to someone from Iceland or Norway. I am also sure as mentioned above, he has plenty of people he can call up to get a lowdown on a player (in addition to his own US scouts) He understands when they started playing, what and how they were taught (which are likely many of the same concepts he is trying to promote) so yes, he may be more likely to bring a German into camp or even to a friendly without having to do as much diligence.

He wants to win, he gets paid to win. What I can’t comprehend is this group of people here who can’t seem to grasp that he gains nothing by bringing in a bunch of Germans who can’t play over players from other places. He is going to bring in the players that give him the best chance to win.

• Well, the reality is that it is really hard for a Mexican born & raised player to gain US citizenship in time to be of any value to the NT. The line for legal immigration to the US for Mexicans is absurdly long, so only those with an American citizen parent are going to get much of a shot. Plus there are more well-paying soccer jobs in Mexico, limiting the chance for someone to be in the US long enough to become a citizen.

• He’s a Mexican national that was born in Mexico, raised in Mexico and developed in Mexico.
        It’s poaching.

• “How old are you?” What does age have to do with anything in regards to this topic? You gotta come with something better than than man.

• Yeah, just because his father wasn’t in the US Army, we “poached” him.

Jermain Jones, Danny Williams, , Tommy Chandler, Fabian Johnson, all USMNT players, all born in Germany, raised and developed their soccer in Germany!. Also Mix Diskerud, born and raised in Norway, mother was an American. The US has a history of using player we “poached” from other countries. Even Joe Gaetjens, who scored the winning US goal against England in the 1950 was from Haiti. He wasn’t even a US citizen!! His Father was GERMAN (lol) and registered him as a German citizen at the German Embassy in Haiti.At the time in 1950 all the US Soccer Federation only required you to have was an “intention” to be a US citizen. Just imagine what king of team we could have today under those rules!!

The US has a long history of your so called “poaching” of players. We are, after all, a nation of immigrants

So, What is the difference?

• It’s not poaching. As a dual (or tri-citizen), I would not feel poached if I was pursued by the US even though I have ties to France and Brasil. I feel strong ties to all, but played soccer in France and US as a youth.

Again, for all those holier than those, many elite countries have recruited dual nationals including those not raised in the home country. Integral members of the Spanish, English, French, German, Italian, Mexican, Dutch, Portuguese, Belgian just to name a few. People really need to get over themselves or their myopic view of the world.

• Romero yes, the GK for the U-20 World Cup will be Gudiño not that guy that started in the qualifiers.

• Rob, you (as well as others) keep making some pretty ignorant statements! Do you know that is most countries outside North and South America, simply being born and raised there does not make you a citizen? For example, you could be born and raised in England or Italy to American parents, but you will not be a citizen unless you choose to be naturalized as an adult. So in your mind, a kid born or raised in England to Americans is being poached or not American even though the UK law would say he is not British.

What about those kids who go to elite academies to be developed at 10/11 years old? Are we poaching them.

You need to stop looking at the world through this myopic point of view.

• Yes he knows English. I don’t know how well, I’ve never heard him speak, but the espn article says he knows both Spanish and English.

• It would be pretty sad if a pair of Americans living in Mexico didn’t raise their son to be bilingual, especially since that is a major advantage in the work place.

• Honestly its sad to see but it’s not surprising and we shouldn’t be surprised if our starting 11 is all born outside the US in the coming years. Bilal Abdul Hamid and Sean Johnson are mediocre at best, Yarbruh schools these two chumps.

• I can see Cody Cropper passing by all of them in not that long. Even Steffen has looked very good, but is still pretty young for a keeper.

• Would DJ Countess’ career have been different had he come up now. He would have greater opportunity to play and develop. That youth national team defensive unit (DJ Countess, Alex Yi, Nelson Akwari, Oguchi Onyewu) failed to have careers except for Oguchi Onyewu (I think Alex Yi for a few years).

That group of players had so much talent and hype about them (Countess, Onyewu, Akwari, Yi, Convey, DaMarcus Beasley, Landon Donovan, Kyle Martino, Edson Buddle, Eskandarian, Brad Davis, Conor Casey, Beckerman among others). There were 8 guys who spent significant time with the senior USMNT. Not bad for a youth squad.

• Could not disagree more, especially with respect to Hamid. He is fantastic and still getting better. I’d lay down some serious cash that Hamid be starting in Europe within three years, and will be the next great US #1 — after Guzan has had his turn. BTW, Hamid was born and raised in Annandale, VA. His parents are originally from Sierra Leone.

• just because he started young it doesn’t mean he’ll be top at the end of his career, if he was that good Herrera would have called him since day one just like he called many young mexican players before.

• He’s been starting since Feb/March 2013. If he was not any good in a better league, he would have been replaced. You are right, he might be at the top at the end of his career, but he is very good now.