Bobby Wood’s impressive season with FC Union Berlin is on the brink of becoming historic.
Wood kept his scoring streak alive by firing home a penalty kick in FC Union Berlin’s 2-1 loss to MSV Duisburg on Saturday, and in doing so moved one goal away from tying Conor Casey’s record of 14 for an American in the 2. Bundesliga. Casey set that mark with Karlsruhe during the 2003-04 campaign, but Wood might soon pull even if he can continue his good run of form. The 23-year-old forward has now netted in each of his last five matches, and has six goals in that stretch.
While Wood grabbed headlines for scoring yet again, two Americans made the news for making their debuts. Perry Kitchen and Russell Canouse each came off the bench in their first games with their respective clubs, with Kitchen turning in a 17-minute shift for Heart of Midlothian and Canouse contributing 23 minutes for Hoffenheim. Both players helped their teams close out games, as Hearts beat Dundee, 1-0, and Hoffenheim topped Wolfsburg by the same score. Canouse’s cameo marked his pro debut.
Another encouraging development came in Mexico, where Paul Arriola started in his first Liga MX game in nearly two years. Arriola got the nod in Club Tijuana’s Saturday showdown with Jaguares de Chiapas, and helped Xolos pick up a 2-1 win with a 90-minute performance. Arriola had last started for Tijuana in a league match on March 16, 2014.
Here are how the Americans Abroad did this weekend:
- Tim Howard dressed but did not play in Everton’s 2-0 win vs. Chelsea in the quarterfinals of the FA Cup on Saturday
- Brad Guzan started, played 90 minutes, and made six saves in Aston Villa’s 2-0 loss vs. Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday.
Matt Miazga did not dress in Chelsea’s 2-0 loss vs. Everton in the quarterfinals of the FA Cup on Saturday.
- Geoff Cameron started and played 90 minutes in Stoke City’s 2-1 loss vs. Southampton on Saturday.
- DeAndre Yedlin and Sunderland did not play this weekend.
- Jonathan Spector started and played 90 minutes in Birmingham City’s 0-0 draw vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers on Sunday.
- Eric Lichaj started and played 90 minutes in Nottingham Forest’s 3-0 loss vs. Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday.
- Danny Williams came off the bench and played 15 minutes in Reading’s 2-0 loss vs. Crystal Palace in the quarterfinals of the FA Cup on Friday.
- Tim Ream came off the bench and played 13 minutes in Fulham’s 2-1 loss vs. Bristol City on Saturday.
- Emerson Hyndman dressed but did not play for Fulham.
- Cody Cropper came off the bench and played 19 minutes in Milton Keynes Dons’ 1-1 draw vs. Hull City on Saturday.
- Duane Holmes did not dress in Huddersfield Town’s 3-1 loss vs. Burnley on Saturday.
- Lynden Gooch started and played 90 minutes in Doncaster Rovers’s 2-1 loss vs. Bradford City on Saturday.
- Zak Whitbread did not dress in Shrewsbury Town’s 2-2 draw vs. Scunthorpe United on Saturday.
- Perry Kitchen came off the bench and played 17 minutes in Heart of Midlothian’s 1-0 win vs. Dundee on Saturday.
- Gedion Zelalem did not dress in Rangers’ 3-1 win vs. Greenock Morton on Friday.
- Fabian Johnson started and played 86 minutes in Borussia Moenchengladbach’s 3-0 win vs. Eintracht Frankfurt on Saturday.
- Timmy Chandler did not dress in Eintracht Frankfurt’s 3-0 loss vs. Borussia Moenchengladbach on Saturday.
- John Brooks started and played 90 minutes in Hertha Berlin’s 2-0 win vs. Schalke 04 on Friday.
- Alfredo Morales did not dress in FC Ingolstadt 04’s 3-3 draw vs. VfB Stuttgart on Saturday.
- Aron Johannsson did not dress in Werder Bremen’s 5-0 loss vs. Bayern Munich on Saturday.
- Christian Pulisic did not dress in Borussia Dortmund’s 2-0 win vs. Mainz on Sunday.
- Russell Canouse came off the bench and played 23 minutes in TSG 1899 Hoffenheim’s 1-0 win vs. VfL Wolfsburg on Saturday.
- Bobby Wood started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL in FC Union Berlin’s 2-1 loss vs. MSV Duisburg on Saturday.
- Andrew Wooten started, played 90 minutes before being substituted in stoppage time, and received a yellow card in SV Sandhausen’s 1-0 win vs. Fortuna Dusseldorf on Saturday.
- Terrence Boyd did not dress in RB Leipzig’s 2-1 win vs. TSV 1860 Munich on Sunday.
- Caleb Stanko dressed but did not play in SC Freiburg’s 3-1 win vs. FSV Frankfurt on Sunday.
- Shawn Barry came off the bench and played 45 minutes in FSV Frankfurt’s 3-1 loss vs. SC Freiburg on Sunday.
- Alejandro Bedoya started and played 90 minutes in FC Nantes’ 2-0 win vs. Angers on Sunday.
- Rubio Rubin dressed but did not play in FC Utrecht’s 2-2 draw vs. ADO Den Haag on Sunday.
- Desevio Payne did not dress in FC Groningen’s 2-1 loss vs. Excelsior on Saturday.
- Ethan Horvath started and played 90 minutes in Molde FK’s 1-1 draw vs. Tromso on Sunday.
- Cole Grossman did not dress in Stabaek IF’s 1-0 loss vs. Aalesund on Sunday.
- AJ Soares and Viking play Valerenga on Monday.
- Paul Arriola started and played 90 minutes in Club Tijuana’s 2-1 win vs. Jaguares de Chiapas on Saturday.
- Michael Orozco did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Greg Garza did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Alejandro Guido did not dress for Club Tijuana. He is recovering from an injury.
- Edgar Castillo started, played 90 minutes, and received a yellow card in Monterrey’s 3-1 win vs. Morelia on Saturday.
- Jose Torres came off the bench and played 70 minutes in Tigres UANL’s 0-0 draw vs. Pumas UNAM on Saturday.
- Joe Corona dressed but did not play in Dorados de Sinaloa’s 3-0 loss vs. Toluca on Sunday.
- Sonny Guadarrama did not dress Dorados de Sinaloa.
- Ventura Alvarado did not dress in Club America’s 2-1 win vs. Chivas de Guadalajara on Sunday.
- Luis Gil started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Queretaro’s 2-0 loss vs. Club Leon on Saturday.
- Jonathan Bornstein dressed but did not play for Queretaro.
- William Yarbrough started, played 90 minutes, and made four saves in Club Leon’s 2-0 win vs. Queretaro on Saturday.
- Miguel Ibarra did not dress for Club Leon.
- Omar Gonzalez started and played 90 minutes in Pachuca’s 3-2 loss vs. Santos Laguna on Friday.
- Jorge Villafana started and played 90 minutes in Santos Laguna’s 3-2 win vs. Pachuca on Friday.
- Sebastian Saucedo dressed but did not play in Veracruz’s 3-2 win vs. Atlas on Friday.
What do you think of these performances? Expect Wood to surpass Casey’s record soon? Think Kitchen and Canouse will earn bigger roles at their respective clubs in the coming weeks?
Share your thoughts below.
Bobby Wood is playing with confidence which is good news for his WC qualifiers and Copa America chances. Love how he took his pk. Hoping he continues on this run
good to see Rubio Rubin back in the game day 18.. from this I conclude he close if not 100% ready to play again. if he gets back on the field next weekend could he be in the U23 camp?
No Fafa Picault? He scored his 1st goal in 2.Bundesliga. Born & raised in the US and former US youth international. Has a Haiti call-in, but no caps. Has stated he prefers to play for USMNT.
You’ll notice that O’Neill, CCV, EPB, Moore, Rodriguez, etc….There are a lot of US players playing abroad that aren’t covered/documented on this weekly update. Its a matter of numbers…they can’t cover all of them. When/If this kid gets a USMNT call-up or goes on a significant run of positive performances, than maybe he’ll be added to the report.
But he scored a goal in 2.Bundesliga. I think they just aren’t aware of him.
What’s going on with Chandler and Morales? They’ve been “did not dress” for quite a few games now.
For Morales i think it started a few games ago with a yellow card suspension. Chandler has been out of it much longer.
I wasn’t able to see hardly any soccer this weekend. Can anyone tell me what position Cameron played? He’s played 90 two games in a row now. Also, good to see Jose Torres get all those minutes. I think it has been almost a year since he played that much in a game due to a serious injury about this time last year.
Cameron played right back and was partially responsible for the go-ahead goal for their opponent.