It was a rough weekend for Americans in England. of the 12 currently playing in the English Premier League, none of them tasted victory last weekend and only Brad Friedel’s heroics against Manchester United kept his Blackburn from facing defeat.
There was better news elsewhere, from Oguchi Onyewu’s Standard Liege clinching the Belgian Jupiler League title to Michael Bradley’s Heerenveen clinching a Champions League playoff spot with its own victory.
Jeremiah White produced the lone goal of the weekend for Americans in Europe’s top flight, scoring in AGF Aarhus’ 3-1 win vs. Lyngby on Sunday.
This week’s edition of American’s Abroad: Weekend Rewind is brought to you by ASA: FC Barcelona, the summer residency program that allows teenage soccer players to be Americans Abroad, training at fabled FC Barcelona this summer. If you want to experience the dream of playing and training at FC Barcelona, then contact ASA: FC Barcelona for information on the July camp.
Here is how the rest of the Americans Abroad did this weekend in Europe:
Kasey Keller started, played 90 minutes and made two saves in Fulham’s 2-0 loss to Liverpool on Saturday.
Clint Dempsey started and played 90 minutes for Fulham.
Brian McBride started and played 81 minutes for Fulham.
Carlos Bocanegra dressed but did not start for Fulham.
Eddie Johnson did not dress for Fulham.
- Marcus Hahnemann started, played 90 minutes and made six saves in Reading’s 2-0 loss to Arsenal on Saturday.
- Bobby Convey started and played 90 minutes for Reading.
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made one save in Everton’s 1-0 loss to Chelsea on Thursday.
- Eddie Lewis started and played 90 minutes in Derby County’s 2-1 loss to West Ham United on Saturday.
- Benny Feilhaber dressed but did not play for Derby County.
- Jonathan Spector did not dress for West Ham United on Saturday.
- Brad Friedel started, played 90 minutes and made 12 saves in Blackburn’s 1-1 tie vs. Manchester United on Saturday.
- Jay DeMerit dressed but did not play in Watford’s 2-0 loss to Crystal Palace on Saturday.
Matt Pickens dressed but did not play in Queens Park Rangers’ 1–0 win vs. Charlton on Saturday.
- Steve Cherundolo started and played 90 minutes in Hannover 96’s 3-1 win vs. Borussia Dortmund on Wednesday.
- Sal Zizzo did not dress for Hannover 96.
- Heath Pearce came off the bench and played 30 minutes in Hansa Rostock’s 2-1 loss to Werder Bremen last Tuesday.
- Bryan Arguez dressed but did not play in Hertha Berlin’s 0-0 tie vs. Hamburg last Tuesday.
- Josh Wolff started and played 90 minutes in 1860 Munich’s 2-1 win vs. Wehen on Thursday.
- Gregg Berhalter did not play for 1860 Munich.
- Josh Grenier did not dress in TUS Koblenz’s 3-2 win vs. Freiburg on Wednesday.
- Neven Subotic started, played 90 minutes and drew a yellow card in Mainz 05’s 6-1 win vs. Paderborn on Tuesday.
- Michael Bradley started and played 90 minutes in Heerenveen’s 5-0 win vs. Excelsior on Sunday.
- Gabriel Ferrari did not dress in Sampdoria’s 3-0 win vs. Udinese on Sunday.
- Danny Szetela came off the bench and played 20 minutes in Brescia’s 3-0 loss to Chievo on Saturday.
- Giuseppe Rossi started and played 63 minutes in Villarreal’s 2-0 victory against Valladolid on Sunday.
- Quentin Westberg dressed but did not play in FC Troyes 0-0 tie vs. Niort on Friday.
- Freddy Adu did not dress in Benfica’s 2-0 loss to FC Porto on Sunday.
- Oguchi Onyewu started and played 90 minutes in Standard Liege’s 2-0 win vs. Anderlecht on Sunday.
- Clint Mathis did not play in Ergotelis’ 2-0 loss to FC Xanthi on Sunday.
- Danny Califf did not play for AaB.
- Jeremiah White started, played 90 minutes and scored a goal in AGF Aarhus 3-1 win vs. Lyngby on Sunday.
- Lee Nguyen started and played 90 minutes in Randers FC’s 2-1 win vs. FC Copenhagen on Saturday.
- Michael Orozco started and played 90 minutes in San Luis’ 2-1 vs. Morelia on Saturday.
- Jose Francisco Torres did not dress in Pachuca’s 5-2 loss to Puebla on Sunday.
- Daniel Hernandez started, played 90 minutes and drew a yellow card in Jaguares de Chiapas’ 2-1 loss to Veracruz on Saturday.
- Edgar Castillo started and played 90 minutes in Santos’ 1-1 tie vs. Necaxa on Sunday.
- Nate Jaqua started and played 90 minutes in SC Rheindorf Altach’s 3-0 loss to Rapid Vienna on Sunday.
- Troy Perkins started and played 90 minutes in Valarenga’s 1-1 tie vs. Rosenborg on Sunday.
- Adin Brown started and played 90 minutes in Aalesunds FK’s 5-0 win against Ham-Kam on Sunday.
- Pat Noonan came off the bench and played 30 minutes for Aalesunds FK.
As you can see, I added the Norwegian and Mexican leagues (and will NOT be adding the second divisions so don’t ask). If I missed anyone please let me know and feel free to share your thoughts on these performances below.