Photo by ISI Photos
Fulham is still alive. Yes, you read that right, the Cottagers’ hopes of avoiding relegation stayed alive for another week courtesy of a 3-2 win against Manchester City. That means the five Americans who play for Fulham were given another chance to survive, at least one more game with something on the line.
Kasey Keller and company still needs two wins in its final two matches AND some help to avoid relegation, but things will get really interesting if they can beat Birmingham at home this weekend (especially if Reading and/or Bolton loses).
While Fulham’s win was a bright spot for Americans Abroad, Reading tying Wigan didn’t exactly help the Royals and Marcus Hahnemann (and Bobby Convey) breathe any easier. Reading is still in relegation danger with two games to go.
There was good news in other parts of Europe, including Italy, where Danny Szetela earned a start for Brescia, and Austria, where Nate Jaqua scored the equalizer against Red Bull Salzburg.
This week’s edition of American’s Abroad: Weekend Rewind is brought to you by ASA: FC Barcelona, the summer residency program that allows teenage soccer players to be Americans Abroad, training at fabled FC Barcelona this summer. If you want to experience the dream of playing and training at FC Barcelona, then contact ASA: FC Barcelona for information on the July camp.
Here is how the rest of the Americans Abroad did this weekend in Europe:
Kasey Keller started, played 90 minutes and made two saves in Fulham’s 3-2 win vs. Manchester City on Saturday.
Clint Dempsey started and played 90 minutes for Fulham.
Brian McBride started and played 71 minutes for Fulham.
Carlos Bocanegra dressed but did not start for Fulham.
Eddie Johnson did not dress for Fulham.
- Marcus Hahnemann started, played 90 minutes and made seven saves in Reading’s 0-0 tie vs. Wigan on Saturday.
- Bobby Convey did not dress for Reading.
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made two saves in Everton’s 2-2 tie vs. Aston Villa on Thursday.
- Eddie Lewis, Benny Feilhaber and Derby faces Arsenal on Monday.
- Jonathan Spector did not dress for West Ham United’s 2-2 vs. Newcastle United on Saturday.
- Brad Friedel started, played 90 minutes and made three saves in Blackburn’s 1-0 win vs. Portsmouth on Sunday.
- Jay DeMerit started and played 90 minutes in Watford’s 1-0 loss to Scunthorpe on Saturday.
Matt Pickens dressed but did not dress in Queens Park Rangers’ 3-0 loss to Norwich City on Saturday.
- Steve Cherundolo started and played 90 minutes in Hannover 96’s 2-2 tie vs. Hertha Berlin on Saturday.
- Sal Zizzo did not dress for Hannover 96.
- Bryan Arguez did not dress for Hertha Berlin.
- Heath Pearce came off the bench and played 51 minutes in Hansa Rostock’s 2-1 loss to Energie Cottbus on Saturday.
- Neven Subotic started and played 90 minutes in Mainz 05’s 2-1 win vs. Osnabruck on Sunday.
- Josh Wolff started and played 58 minutes in 1860 Munich’s 2-2 tie vs. Moechengladbach on Sunday.
- Gregg Berhalter dressed but did not play for 1860 Munich.
- Luis Robles dressed but did not play in Kaiserslautern’s 2-1 win vs. Alemania Aachen on Friday.
- Josh Grenier did not dress in TUS Koblenz’s 3-2 loss to Paderborn on Friday.
- Michael Bradley and Heerenveen were off this weekend.
- Gabriel Ferrari did not dress in Sampdoria’s 2-2 tie vs. Fiorentina on Sunday.
- Danny Szetela started and played 79 minutes in Brescia’s 0-0 tie vs. Treviso on Saturday.
- Giuseppe Rossi started and played 87 minutes in Villarreal’s 1-0 victory against Real Betis on Sunday.
- Quentin Westberg dressed but did not play in FC Troyes 0-0 tie vs. Boulogne on Friday.
- Freddy Adu did not dress in Benfica’s 2-0 win vs. Belenenses on Saturday.
- Oguchi Onyewu started and played 90 minutes in Standard Liege’s 2-1 loss vs. Royal Charleroi on Sunday.
- Clint Mathis and Ergotelis’ season is complete.
- Danny Califf and AaB plays Horsens on Monday.
- Lee Nguyen started and played 45 minutes in Randers FC’s 4-1 win vs. AGF Aarhus on Sunday.
- Jeremiah White did not play for AGF Aarhus.
- Michael Orozco started and played 45 minutes in San Luis’ 0-0 tie vs. Atlas on Saturday.
- Jose Francisco Torres started and played 72 minutes in Pachuca’s 1-0 loss to Chiapas on Saturday.
- Daniel Hernandez started and played 90 minutes for Chiapas.
- Edgar Castillo started and played 90 minutes in Santos’ 2-1 win vs. Tigres on Saturday.
- Nate Jaqua started, played 90 minutes and scored a goal in SC Rheindorf Altach’s 1-1 tie vs. Red Bull Salzburg on Saturday.
- Troy Perkins and Valarenga plays Viking today.
- Adin Brown started and played 90 minutes in Aalesunds FK’s 2-1 loss to Bodo Glimt on Sunday.
- Pat Noonan came off the bench and played 16 minutes for Aalesunds FK.
- Willis Forko started and played 90 minutes for Bodo Glimt.
As you can see, I added the Norwegian and Mexican leagues (and will NOT be adding the second divisions so don’t ask). If I missed anyone please let me know and feel free to share your thoughts on these performances below.