Fulham did it.
A month ago Fulham looked dead in the water and the five Americans on the squad looked destined to play in the Coca Cola Championship next season. That was before the dramatic late-season run capped off by Sunday’s thrilling 1-0 win against Portsmouth. As if avoiding relegation wasn’t enough, now there’s word that Fulham may even qualify for a UEFA Cup place thanks to its Fair Play ranking.
Fulham’s EPL survival was the highlight of a good week for Americans abroad. You had Tim Howard and Everton locking up a UEFA Cup berth, Michael Bradley helping Heerenveen lock up a UEFA Cup place, Sal Zizzo making his debut for Hannover 96 and Oguchi Onyewu helping Standard Liege wrap up a dream season with another win.
This week’s edition of American’s Abroad: Weekend Rewind is brought to you by Chicago Soccer Apparel, the official soccer apparel store of Soccer By Ives. Whether it’s MLS, European clubs or national teams, Chicago Soccer has all your soccer gear needs covered.
Now, here is how the rest of the Americans Abroad did this weekend in Europe and Mexico:
Brian McBride started and played 90 minutes in Fulham’s 1-0 win vs. Portsmouth on Sunday.
Kasey Keller started, played 90 minutes and made six save for Fulham.
Clint Dempsey started and played 72 minutes for Fulham.
Carlos Bocanegra dressed but did not play for Fulham.
Eddie Johnson did not dress for Fulham.
- Marcus Hahnemann started, played 90 minutes and made four saves in Reading’s 4-0 win vs. Derby County on Sunday.
- Bobby Convey did not dress for Reading.
- Eddie Lewis started and played 90 minutes for Derby County.
- Benny Feilhaber came off the bench and played 45 minutes for Derby County.
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made three saves in Everton’s 3-1 win vs. Newcastle on Sunday.
- Brad Friedel started, played 90 minutes and made six saves in Blackburn’s 4-1 loss to Birmingham on Sunday.
- Jonathan Spector did not dress for West Ham United’s 2-2 tie vs. Aston Villa on Sunday.
- Jay DeMerit came off the bench and played 29 minutes in Watford’s 2-1 loss to Hull on Sunday.
- DaMarcus Beasley dressed but did not play in Rangers’ 3-1 win vs. Hearts on Saturday.
- Steve Cherundolo started, played 90 minutes and drew a yellow card in Hannover 96’s 6-1 loss to Werder Bremen on Sunday.
- Sal Zizzo came off the bench and played 20 minutes for Hannover 96. It was his first appearance for Hannover.
- Bryan Arguez dressed but did not play in Hertha Berlin’s 1-0 win vs. Nurnburg on Sunday.
- Heath Pearce dressed but did not play in Hansa Rostock’s 2-1 loss to Bayer Leverkusen on Sunday.
- Neven Subotic started and played 90 minutes in Mainz 05’s 2-0 loss to Koln on Saturday.
- Luis Robles dressed but did not play in Kaiserslautern’s 2-2 tie vs. Carl Zeiss Jena on Saturday.
- Josh Wolff came off the bench and played 45 minutes in 1860 Munich’s 1-1 tie vs Osnabruck on Saturday.
- Gregg Berhalter dressed but did not play for 1860 Munich.
- Joe Enochs started, played 36 minutes and drew a yellow card for Osnabruck.
- Josh Grenier did not dress in TUS Koblenz’s 2-2 tie vs. Aue on Saturday.
- Michael Bradley started and played 90 minutes in Heerenveen’s 2-2 tie vs. NEC Breda in their UEFA Cup playoff second-leg on Monday. Heerenveen earned a UEFA Cup place by winning the home-and-home series on aggregate.
- Gabriel Ferrari did not dress in Sampdoria’s 2-0 win vs. Palermo on Sunday.
- Danny Szetela did not play in Brescia’s 4-0 loss to Ascoli on Saturday.
- Giuseppe Rossi started and played 61 minutes in Villarreal’s 2-0 win vs. Espanyol on Sunday.
- Quentin Westberg dressed but did not play in FC Troyes 1-0 loss to Sedan on Monday.
- Freddy Adu did not dress in Benfica’s 3-0 win vs. Vitoria Setubal on Sunday.
- Oguchi Onyewu started and played 90 minutes in Standard Liege’s 2-0 win vs. Racing Genk on Saturday.
- Danny Califf started and played 90 minutes in AaB’s 4-0 loss to FC Copenhagen on Monday.
- Lee Nguyen came off the bench and played 14 minutes in Randers’ 2-1 win vs. FC Nordsjaelland on Monday.
- Jeremiah White started and played 90 minutes in AGF Aarhus’ 1-1 tie vs. Brondby on Sunday.
- Jose Francisco Torres came off the bench and played 54 minutes in Pachuca’s 2-1 win vs. San Luis on Saturday.
- Michael Orozco did not dress for San Luis.
NORWAY (Norwegian league did not play games last weekend)
- Troy Perkins (Valarenga)
- Adin Brown (Aalesunds FK)
- Pat Noonan (Aalesunds FK).
- Willis Forko (Bodo Glimt)
What do you think of how the Americans Abroad did this weekend? Share your thoughts below.