by GIANFRANCO PANIZO
After two solid weeks of impressive performances to start the new year, Americans playing abroad ran into a wall this past weekend.
The majority of Americans Abroad either sat on the bench or did not dress last weekend, while many of the players who did see time struggled with results and their own performances.
One example was Oguchi Onyewu. Onyewu and Standard Liege, currently in 2nd place in the Jupiler League, resumed their campaign on Saturday against bottom-feeder Dender. The towering defender opened up 2009 with a goal in the 5th minute. Unfortunately it was for the wrong team.
Clint Dempsey's Fulham fell to a Jonathan Spector-less West Ham United, Jose Francisco Torres came off at half-time prior to Pachuca's offensive onslaught and neither of the two teen sensations, Freddy Adu and Jozy Altidore, made the bench for their respective clubs.
Not all was bad news though. Defender Michael Orozco opened up his 2009 Clausura season with a 90-minute performance and defender Jay DeMerit also enjoyed playing the entire game for Watford. There was also a brief Eddie Johnson sighting in the match between Cardiff City and Birmingham.
Here's how the Americans Abroad performed this weekend:
Tim Howard and Everton play Liverpool on Monday.
Brad Friedel started, played 90 minutes and made four saves in Aston Villa's 2-1 win vs. Sunderland on Saturday.
Brad Guzan dressed but did not play in Aston Villa's 2-1 win vs. Sunderland on Saturday.
Clint Dempsey started and played 90 minutes in Fulham's 3-1 loss vs. West Ham on Sunday.
Jonathan Spector did not dress in West Ham's 3-1 win vs. Fulham on Sunday.
COCA COLA CHAMPIONSHIP
- Frank Simek did not dress in Sheffield Wednesday's 4-0 win vs. Charlton Athletic on Saturday. He is recovering from a hamstring injury.
- Jay DeMerit started and played 90 minutes in Watford's 2-0 loss vs. Sheffield United on Saturday.
- Eddie Johnson came off the bench and played 7 minutes in Cardiff City's 1-1 draw vs. Birmingham on Saturday.
- Marcus Hahnemann did not dress in Reading's 2-0 loss vs. Swansea City on Saturday. He is recovering from a calf injury.
- Bobby Convey did not dress in Reading's 2-0 loss vs. Swansea City on Saturday.
DaMarcus Beasley did not dress in Rangers' 3-1 win vs. Falkirk on Saturday.
Maurice Edu dressed but did not play in Rangers' 3-1 win vs. Falkirk on Saturday.
Bundesliga 1 and Bundesliga 2 are both on winter break.
- Jozy Altidore did not dress in Villarreal's 2-0 win vs. Mallorca on Sunday.
- Danny Szetela did not dress in Brescia's 4-0 win vs. Pisa on Saturday.
Carlos Bocanegra started and played 90 minutes in Rennes' 1-0 loss vs. Lille on Sunday.
Freddy Adu did not dress in AS Monaco's 2-2 draw vs. Caen on Sunday.
- Quentin Westberg dress but did not play in Troyes' 2-2 draw vs. Chateauroux on Saturday.
- Oguchi Onyewu started, played 90 minutes and scored an own goal in Standard Liege's 3-2 win vs. Dender on Saturday.
The Danish First Division is on winter break until March.
- Jose Francisco Torres started and played 45 minutes in Pachuca's 4-1 win vs. U.A.N.L. on Sunday.
- Michael Orozco started and played 90 minutes in San Luis' 0-0 draw vs. Morelia on Saturday.
Marco Vidal dressed but did not play in Indios de Ciudad Juarez's 2-1 win vs. U.A. de G. on Friday.
Daniel Hernandez did not dress in Chiapas' 2-1 win vs. Atlas on Saturday.
Jesus Padilla did not dress in Guadalajar's 3-3 draw vs. Cruz Azul on Saturday.
Sonny Guadarrama did not dress in Morelia's 0-0 draw vs. San Luis on Saturday.
American-born Players Playing for Other Countries
Giuseppe Rossi (Italy) started, played 87 minutes and scored a GOAL in Villarreal's 2-0 win vs. Mallorca on Sunday.
Brede Hangeland (Norway) started and played 90 minutes in Fulham's 3-1 loss vs. West Ham on Sunday.
Boaz Myhill (Wales) started, played 90 minutes and made four saves in Hull City's 3-1 loss vs. Arsenal on Saturday.
Edgar Castillo (Mexico) started, played 90 minutes and drew a yellow card in America's 2-1 in vs. Santos Laguna on Sunday.
What do you think of these performances? Is this weekend one to forget for the Americans Abroad? Happy to see Oguchi Onyewu back in action? Scared a bit by his own goal? Do you see Orozco and/or DeMerit moving up the CB depth chart in 2009? Think Friedel and Aston Villa will finish in the top three in the EPL? Excited to see the Mexican First Division kickoff their 2009 Clausura campaign?
Share your thoughts below.