photo by ISIphotos.com
By FRANCO PANIZO
Eddie Johnson and Freddy Adu could soon join Maurice Edu and DaMarcus Beasley as the first Americans to win hardware this season after Aris Salonika defeated Kavala in the Greek Cup semifinal on Thursday.
Aris was held to a 1-1 draw on its 96th birthday, but advanced on a 4-2 aggregate. Johnson came off the bench and played the final six minutes of the match, while Adu made the gameday roster but did not play.
Aris will meet the winner of PAS Giannina and Panathinaikos in the Greek Cup final on April 24.
Johnson and Adu weren't the only ones in action during the midweek. Here is how the Americans Abroad fared on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made four saves in Everton's 2-0 win vs. Manchester City on Wednesday.
- Clint Dempsey came off the bench and played 21 minutes Fulham's 3-1 loss vs. Tottenham Hotspur in the quarterfinals of the FA Cup on Wednesday.
- Jonathan Spector came off the bench and played 45 minutes in West Ham's 3-1 loss vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers on Tuesday.
- Brad Friedel started, played 90 minutes and made two saves in Aston Villa's 1-1 draw vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers on Wednesday.
Brad Guzan dressed but did not play in Aston Villa's 1-1 draw vs. Sunderland on Wednesday.
Marcus Hahnemann started, played 90 minutes and made eight saves in Wolverhampton Wanderers' 3-1 win vs. West Ham United on Tuesday.
COCA COLA CHAMPIONSHIP
- Jay DeMerit started and played 90 minutes in Watford's 2-1 loss vs. Sheffield Wednesday on Wednesday.
- Frank Simek dressed but did not play in Sheffield Wednesday's 2-1 win vs. Watford on Wednesday.
- Kenny Cooper dressed but did not play in Plymouth Argyle's 2-0 win vs. Ipswich Town on Tuesday.
- Maurice Edu started and played 90 minutes in Rangers' 1-0 loss vs. Dundee United in the sixth round of the Scottish Cup on Wednesday.
- DaMarcus Beasley started and played 90 minutes in Rangers' 1-0 loss vs. Dundee United in the sixth round of the Scottish Cup on Wednesday.
- Dominic Cervi did not dress in Celtic's 4-0 loss vs. St Mirren on Wednesday.
- Oguchi Onyewu did not dress in AC Milan's 1-0 loss vs. Parma on Wednesday.
- Jermaine Jones did not dress in Schalke 04's 1-0 loss vs. Bayern Munich in the semifinals of the DFB Pokal on Wednesday. He is recovering from a leg injury.
- Charlie Davies did not dress in Sochaux's 4-3 loss vs. Monaco in the quarterfinals of the Coupe de France on Wednesday.
- Freddy Adu dressed but did not play in Aris Salonika's 1-1 draw vs. Kavala in the semifinals of the Greek Cup Wednesday.
- Eddie Johnson came off the bench and played 6 minutes in Aris Salonika's 1-1 draw vs. Kavala in the semifinals of the Greek Cup on Wednesday.
- Benny Feilhaber did not dress in AGF Aarhus' 2-1 loss vs. Randers FC on Wednesday.
- Michael Parkhurst dressed but did not play in FC Nordsjaelland's 2-0 win vs. FC Copenhagen on Wednesday.
- Marcus Tracy did not dress in Aalborg BK's 1-0 win vs. Silkeborg on Wednesday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Chris Rolfe did not dress in Aalborg BK's 1-0 win vs. Silkeborg on Wednesday.
- Alejandro Bedoya started and played 90 minutes in Orebro BK's 3-0 loss vs. Malmo FF on Tuesday.
- Michael Hoyos did not dress in Estudiantes La Plata's 2-0 win vs. Bolivar in the Copa Libertadores on Tuesday.
What do you think of these performances? Think Adu, Johnson and Aris will win the final? Surprised by Beasley and Edu's elimination from the Scottish Cup? Think West Ham and Spector will wind up relegated?
Share your thoughts below.