By FRANCO PANIZO
A lopsided victory and a new contract. Talk about a good day at the office for Geoff Cameron.
Cameron and Stoke City ended their 2014-15 Premiership campaign in emphatic fashion, routing Liverpoool, 6-1, at Britannia Stadium on Sunday. Cameron played from whistle to whistle at right back for the Potters, and afterwards it was announced that the versatile, veteran defender signed a new three-year deal. Cameron ends the current campaign with 21 starts in 27 league appearances.
Stoke City’s rout of Liverpool helped open the door for DeAndre Yedlin and Tottenham to earn a UEFA Europa League berth. Spurs beat Tim Howard and Everton, 1-0, on Sunday, and that result coupled with Liverpool’s defeat, pushed Tottenham into fifth place. Yedlin – who could be playing in European competition next season – was an unused substitute in the match, while compatriot Brad Friedel was not in uniform in the final match of his storied career.
It was not all good news for the Americans, however. Josh Gatt saw his return from injury cut short, as he picked up another a mere minutes after entering Molde’s 3-0 win over Mjondalen on Friday. Gatt came into the game as a substitute in the 73rd minute to make his first appearance for the club since June 2013, but was forced off five minutes later with what looked to be a leg injury.
Here is how the Americans Abroad performed this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made two saves in Everton’s 1-0 loss vs. Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday.
- Brad Guzan dressed but did not play in Aston Villa’s 1-0 loss vs. Burnley on Sunday.
- DeAndre Yedlin dressed but did not play in Tottenham Hotspur’s 1-0 win vs. Everton on Sunday.
- Brad Friedel did not dress for Tottenham Hotspur.
- Geoff Cameron started and played 90 minutes in Stoke City’s 6-1 win vs. Liverpool on Sunday.
- Gedion Zelalem did not dress in Arsenal’s 4-1 win vs. West Bromwich Albion on Sunday. He is with the U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team.
- John Brooks did not dress in Hertha Berlin’s 2-1 loss vs. TSG 1899 Hoffenheim on Saturday.
- Fabian Johnson came off the bench and played 26 minutes in Borussia Moenchengladbach’s 3-1 loss vs. FC Augsburg on Saturday.
- Timmy Chandler started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Eintracht Frankfurt’s 2-1 win vs. Bayer Leverkusen on Saturday.
- Julian Green did not dress in Hamburg SV’s 2-0 win vs. Schalke 04 on Saturday.
- Joe Gyau did not dress in Borussia Dortmund’s 3-2 win vs. Werder Bremen on Saturday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Terrence Boyd did not dress in RB Leipzig’s 2-0 win vs. RB Leipzig on Sunday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Alfredo Morales did not dress in FC Ingolstadt 04’s 1-1 draw vs. Kaiserslautern on Sunday.
- Bobby Wood started, played 87 minutes and received a yellow card in FC Erzgebirge Aue’s 2-2 draw vs. Heidenheimer SB on Sunday.
- Andrew Wooten started and played 85 minutes in SV Sandhausen’s 0-0 draw vs. VfL Bochum on Sunday.
- Jann George did not dress in SpVgg Greuther Furth’s 2-0 loss vs. RB Leipzig on Sunday.
- Alejandro Bedoya did not dress in FC Nantes’ 1-0 loss vs. Lens on Saturday.
- Conor O’Brien started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in FC Magna Wiener Neustadt’s 0-0 draw vs. Rapid Vienna on Sunday.
- Heath Pearce dressed but did not play in IFK Goteborg’s 2-1 win vs. Halmstad on Sunday.
- Danny Cruz and FK Bodo/Glimt play Lillestrom on Monday.
- Zarek Valentin and FK Bodo/Glimt play Lillestrom on Monday.
- Ethan Horvath started and played 90 minutes in Molde FK’s 3-0 win vs. Mjondalen on Friday.
- Josh Gatt came off the bench, played five minutes, and was substituted after picking up an injury for Molde FK.
- Cole Grossman and Stabaek IF play Rosenborg BK on Monday.
- A.J. Soares and Viking play Aalesund on Monday.
- Stephen McCarthy and Kuopion Palloseura play HIFK on Monday.
- Freddy Adu and Kuopion Palloseura play HIFK on Monday.
- Jonathan Bornstein started and scored the series-winning goal to lift Queretaro to a 2-0 victory, and semifinal series victory against Pachuca.
What do you think of these performances? How big of an accomplishment is it for Johnson to clinch a Champions League spot with Moenchengladbach? Impressed with Morales’ latest outing?
Share your thoughts below.
Bob’s Stabaek looking really impressive so far vs. Rosenborg!
man, some game Bornstein put in. My antenna can’t pick up Azteca america, so I had to hunt for an illegal stream. I caught it just in time for Bornie to put in the winning goal. What a game. It was like in a rain forest with some thunderstorm going on.
Congrats to Cameron. He pulled a Dempsey this year–started out on the bench but fought his way back into the starting 11 and played 90 minutes most games. Even better, now he has a new 3 year contract. If he plays his cards right, this should pretty much set him up financially for most of his life.
Josh Gatt. what else can you say?